Top 16% of all Woots

Quality Posts

wootstalkerbot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5]

Revolights Eclipse Bicycle Lights
Price: $99.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Thursday, Jan 12 to Friday, Jan 13) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

halgorithm

quality posts: 4 Private Messages halgorithm

Even at this price I want, but do I want to be seen as a total hipster?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 944 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

halgorithm wrote:Even at this price I want, but do I want to be seen as a total hipster?

The more important question is "Do you want to be seen?"

To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 2 hours!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

scottgfx

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scottgfx
ThunderThighs wrote:The more important question is "Do you want to be seen?"

Interesting idea, but I have no interest after watching the install video. I purchased recommendations by TheSweetHome from Amazon a few years ago. I have a Cygolite Metro. Pedestrians have complemented me. It's brighter than some moped and scooter lights. Rechargeable too.

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster
ThunderThighs wrote:The more important question is "Do you want to be seen?"

There are plenty of bicycle lights available that allow others to see you for significantly less than $100. For $100+, you should expect a light that allows you to see the road ahead. Revolights fail in that regard.

FATurbo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages FATurbo
scottgfx wrote:Interesting idea, but I have no interest after watching the install video. I purchased recommendations by TheSweetHome from Amazon a few years ago. I have a Cygolite Metro. Pedestrians have complemented me. It's brighter than some moped and scooter lights. Rechargeable too.

In case anybody wants the link, I believe this is it: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-commuter-bike-lights/

roadijeff

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadijeff

From what I saw in the video, this isn't at all what I would need on a dark country road to see deer, skunks and other wildlife that may walk out in front of me. I have a Schmidt hub generator headlight that does this pretty well, although it cost somewhat more than $100.

synapt

quality posts: 6 Private Messages synapt

Possibly worthy comment; Check your state laws. Here in PA I -believe- these might be considered illegal, there are limits to the amount of 'attention' you can draw before the state considers it a distraction more than a safety bump.

I imagine there's a chance other states may be the same.

SethB

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SethB

How bright is it, in terms of actually illuminating the road ahead (in lumens)?

brucem105

quality posts: 3 Private Messages brucem105
SethB wrote:How bright is it, in terms of actually illuminating the road ahead (in lumens)?

I can't speak to lumens. While side visibility is excellent, there are myriad of better options for forward visibility. A $50 headlight with Cree emitter, or other LED-style headlight, will throw far more light in a much better pattern out in front of you.

roadijeff

quality posts: 1 Private Messages roadijeff
SethB wrote:How bright is it, in terms of actually illuminating the road ahead (in lumens)?

I noticed in the specs and product description that they never mention the lumens rating. From what I saw in the video it looks like they are not very bright.
Here's what one review on Amazon had to say: "If you are accustom to 500 lumens LEDs, this is no where as bright. You will only see a pothole just before you fall into it, if you are riding 25kph or above."

walkingdogs

quality posts: 2 Private Messages walkingdogs

I have a set of the second gen revolights. I don't know that they would work great for rural roads and seeing animals jumping out in front of you, but for urban settings they are great. All urban settings have more than enough ambient light for you to see the road, and when you are on a really dark road there is plenty of light throw from these to see the road and any hazards. But from a you being visible standpoint these REALLY do the job. You are highly visible from 360 degrees and the blinking that the red rear ring does when you are braking is invaluable to everyone around you.

cole103

quality posts: 10 Private Messages cole103

So these add 1.5 lbs permanently to your wheels? Wow, they just turned your road bike into a beach cruiser. Far better options out there for less $$$ that won't affect your bike's speed and handling and also are quick detach. And why are the pics showing someone riding on the wrong side of the road? Does this company actually KNOW anything about biking?

thecrump

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thecrump
cole103 wrote:So these add 1.5 lbs permanently to your wheels? Wow, they just turned your road bike into a beach cruiser. Far better options out there for less $$$ that won't affect your bike's speed and handling and also are quick detach. And why are the pics showing someone riding on the wrong side of the road? Does this company actually KNOW anything about biking?

That was the answer I needed. COOL lights, but stupid to add that much weight to wheels.

Revolights

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Revolights

Hi Seth,

This is Megan from Revolights. Revolights put out 280 lumens. Unlike a traditional spotlight Revolights are a swath of light with a total of 24 LEDs on each wheel, 8 of which of are lit up at any given moment. Each LED is rated at over 35 lumens, but since our LEDs are continually rotating and lumens are a unit of flux (light/area) the most accurate description would be: Revolights brightness = 8 LEDs x 35 lumens each.

Let us know if you have any other questions, we're happy to help!
-Revolights

[img]http://i.imgur.com/sAWyqEw.png[/img

Revolights

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Revolights
synapt wrote:Possibly worthy comment; Check your state laws. Here in PA I -believe- these might be considered illegal, there are limits to the amount of 'attention' you can draw before the state considers it a distraction more than a safety bump.

I imagine there's a chance other states may be the same.

Hi synapt,

This is Megan from Revolights. We had a quick look at the PA bike laws and seems like the regulations shouldn't be an issue: http://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/docs/pamanual.pdf

It's definitely important to be aware of state laws/city ordinances and we have yet to have an issue in any state since we started four years ago.

We take this seriously, which is why we only sell colors that follow the vehicular standard of white on the forward part of the vehicle and red on the rearward, where there are a number of products out there using technically illegal colors like blue (police) or purple (funeral, interestingly enough), etc.

-Revolights

[img]http://i.imgur.com/sAWyqEw.png[/img

Nate650

quality posts: 34 Private Messages Nate650

My entire bike is worth about $100 so it's hard for me to justify this. Seems like a cool product though.

Pedrokid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Pedrokid
Nate650 wrote:My entire bike is worth about $100 so it's hard for me to justify this. Seems like a cool product though.

How much are you worth?