WootBot


quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

SOG PowerLock Traveler Multi-Tool

Last Purchase:
14 days ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 13% of Sport Woots
Top 13% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 7% of Sport Woots
Top 8% of all Woots

wootstalkerbot


quality posts: 16 Private Messages wootstalkerbot

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5][Preview 6][Preview 7]

SOG PowerLock Traveler Multi-Tool
Price: $49.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard OR $10 Two-Day OR $20 One-Day
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 1-2 business days (Monday, May 15 to Tuesday, May 16) + transit
Condition: New

Buy It Search Amazon Search Google

jgerards


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgerards

Who the heck would buy a multi-tool that doesn't have a knife blade? Am I missing something?

If it's because it's called a "travel" tool, does anyone think that TSA is going to let someone take that on a plane?!

jsmith69


quality posts: 2 Private Messages jsmith69
jgerards wrote:Who the heck would buy a multi-tool that doesn't have a knife blade? Am I missing something?

If it's because it's called a "travel" tool, does anyone think that TSA is going to let someone take that on a plane?!



When it says this in the description "Additionally, this tool is designed to follow the specific carry-on regulations of the United States Transportation Security Administration." Yes, I expect to be able to carry it on the plane. Hence why no blade.

phonedog365


quality posts: 7 Private Messages phonedog365
jsmith69 wrote:When it says this in the description "Additionally, this tool is designed to follow the specific carry-on regulations of the United States Transportation Security Administration." Yes, I expect to be able to carry it on the plane. Hence why no blade.



Good luck with that. Many reports indicate the rules are followed at the discretion of scanners. Keep an envelope at the ready.

IDGAF1


quality posts: 0 Private Messages IDGAF1

I've always had success telling them "the package said it follows all the TSA rules". Be prepared to have them inspect things like this thoroughly every time though, you may as save some time, take it out of your bag and put it on top of all your stuff.

rrussell


quality posts: 13 Private Messages rrussell

If it's not tactical, I don't want.

1075hoehn


quality posts: 5 Private Messages 1075hoehn

Finally, a multi-tool my brothers and sisters in the communist state of New York can order.

I own the version that comes with the knife and saw blades. The gear mechanism used for the pliers means you don't get spring assistance when opening and closing them, but the gears help with added torque when you need it.

rootatlocalhost


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rootatlocalhost
jsmith69 wrote:When it says this in the description "Additionally, this tool is designed to follow the specific carry-on regulations of the United States Transportation Security Administration." Yes, I expect to be able to carry it on the plane.



Yeah right. Make sure you're always flying out of SOG Intl and never from places like Roatan or Costa Rica.

sh90706


quality posts: 5 Private Messages sh90706

Why do you need to carry this on a plane? Can there ever be a case when you need to fix something on a plane? God help you if you do and all there is to fix it is your multi-tool. Just sayin.

dfiekowsky


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dfiekowsky
sh90706 wrote:Why do you need to carry this on a plane? Can there ever be a case when you need to fix something on a plane? God help you if you do and all there is to fix it is your multi-tool. Just sayin.



Personally, I don't like paying to check a bag just so I can bring my multi-tool. If the TSA would actually allow me to carry this on, it would be worth the savings on confiscated non-compliant multi-tools and/or checked bag fees. Also, I often forget to take my multi-tool out of my pocket before I fly, so the convenience of that not mattering is pretty attractive.

blubdog


quality posts: 0 Private Messages blubdog
jgerards wrote:Who the heck would buy a multi-tool that doesn't have a knife blade? Am I missing something?

If it's because it's called a "travel" tool, does anyone think that TSA is going to let someone take that on a plane?!



Good catch! I was so busy looking at the other tools, I didn't notice it was missing a knife. I'll pass on this one.

jkastorff


quality posts: 7 Private Messages jkastorff
IDGAF1 wrote:I've always had success telling them "the package said it follows all the TSA rules". Be prepared to have them inspect things like this thoroughly every time though, you may as save some time, take it out of your bag and put it on top of all your stuff.



So I wonder if it comes with some sort of card / form that states it's TSA approved so that you can show a grabby agent that wants to add it to his personal collection...

Jaballer


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Jaballer

SOG makes the absolute best multi tool, in my opinion. I've got one of these and a leatherman wave, both are great but the strong jaws and easy to pull tools make SOG the winner.

pleepleus


quality posts: 2 Private Messages pleepleus
sh90706 wrote:Why do you need to carry this on a plane? Can there ever be a case when you need to fix something on a plane? God help you if you do and all there is to fix it is your multi-tool. Just sayin.



Sometimes people bring stuff on a plane for AFTER their air travel. For example, when I go on a 7 day vacation, I don't only bring the clothes I plan to wear on the plane.

Thinkerer


quality posts: 10 Private Messages Thinkerer

I have several SOG tools and they're wonderful....but...

The screwdriver blades are brittle as glass - they shatter under torsion. You can find a lot of postings online about this (including mine). Who the **** needs a multitool that can't be a screwdriver? I mean it's not like the world is held together with threaded fasteners or anything.

If they've fixed this in the last few years I'd love to hear about it, but I'm not holding out hope (nor buying their tools again).

BigRedRidingHood


quality posts: 0 Private Messages BigRedRidingHood

I've been to McGyver Training.

All I need is a paperclip.

Woody1


quality posts: 31 Private Messages Woody1
BigRedRidingHood wrote:I've been to McGyver Training.

All I need is a paperclip.



Me too! But I took the Advanced class. I just need to know you have the paperclip.

900+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't