WootBot


quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Have you ever been fired from a job?
  • 44.4% - Yes. 315
  • 55.6% - No. 394
709 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

mainmchc


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mainmchc

Let go for injuries sustained. Its like being fired.

netprophet1976


quality posts: 1 Private Messages netprophet1976

I've had contracts not renewed, but never fired.

PocketBrain


quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain

Define fired. I have been part of workforce reductions before, but not terminated on performance.

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

woottootpoot


quality posts: 0 Private Messages woottootpoot

I tried to tell them I didn't inhale, but they would not listen

ardubu


quality posts: 9 Private Messages ardubu

I was framed for theft.

The owner was a tax cheat and put out of business by both the FTC and IRS.
Glad to help...

Justice.

Ah, the hell with it.

photobobk


quality posts: 7 Private Messages photobobk
ardubu wrote:I was framed for theft.



Yeah, me too. The missing item was assigned to me, but stored in a common area. Oh well...

After that, downsized into the street twice.

Marcusx70


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Marcusx70

I was rightsized out of a job because I outed a upper management person getting special treatment. I pointed out that one of the top brass had over estimated the cost of a system upgrade and was possibly getting a kick back. He had me right sized with the next round of layoffs.

xtopgun32x


quality posts: 0 Private Messages xtopgun32x

Always knew when it was my time to just walk away...

orangello


quality posts: 1 Private Messages orangello

So, does it count if you come back from vacation to find someone else in your desk and your stuff packed in a box?





Never happened to me, just wondering.

brian153


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brian153
Marcusx70 wrote:I was rightsized out of a job because I outed a upper management person getting special treatment. I pointed out that one of the top brass had over estimated the cost of a system upgrade and was possibly getting a kick back. He had me right sized with the next round of layoffs.



Why on earth would you say a high level person was POSSIBLY getting a kick back. I'm surprised you lasted past the end of business. You don't say such a thing without major undisputed iron clad facts. Throwing unsubstantiated claims like that around can be incredibly damaging.

Marcusx70


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Marcusx70
brian153 wrote:Why on earth would you say a high level person was POSSIBLY getting a kick back. I'm surprised you lasted past the end of business. You don't say such a thing without major undisputed iron clad facts. Throwing unsubstantiated claims like that around can be incredibly damaging.



The problem was that I proved it. It was all out in the open and it was obvious that it had happened. He was caught red handed with the golf clubs and trips to the Hilton head. Why would I out upper management like that? Because it saved the company 2.4 million dollars a year for 5 years in infrastructure cost that this guy was planning on pushing on the company. He is still there, but I am not. I still did the right thing and got a better job in less than a month.

brian153


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brian153
Marcusx70 wrote:The problem was that I proved it. It was all out in the open and it was obvious that it had happened. He was caught red handed with the golf clubs and trips to the Hilton head. Why would I out upper management like that? Because it saved the company 2.4 million dollars a year for 5 years in infrastructure cost that this guy was planning on pushing on the company. He is still there, but I am not. I still did the right thing and got a better job in less than a month.



The only thing I responded to was that you said POSSIBLY and then never actually described anything else. Had you actually included some of the facts as you did in your followup I never would have bothered to reply to your original statement. Using the words "POSSIBLY getting kick backs" is not the same as saying "he did X,Y and Z and here is the proof that backs up my accusation.". You might find out some day that some people in management will become targets of others and will be accused of a whole bunch of things that are patently false. The accusations often start with "he POSSIBLY did..." or "might have done...".

Calgaltoal


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Calgaltoal

Never, I have had the same job for forty years in two school systems.

dborough


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dborough

People, if you want to out someone at the company call whistleblowers and remain anonymous. The government would love to send in examiners, auditors etc. If they are doing one dishonest thing chances are they are doing a lot of dishonest things. Only thing is they can shut the company down and everyone will be out of a job. I'm a Karma kind of person and believe it will eventually bite them where it counts.

Marcusx70


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Marcusx70
brian153 wrote:The only thing I responded to was that you said POSSIBLY and then never actually described anything else. Had you actually included some of the facts as you did in your followup I never would have bothered to reply to your original statement. Using the words "POSSIBLY getting kick backs" is not the same as saying "he did X,Y and Z and here is the proof that backs up my accusation.". You might find out some day that some people in management will become targets of others and will be accused of a whole bunch of things that are patently false. The accusations often start with "he POSSIBLY did..." or "might have done...".



You asked why would I do something like that without facts? I told you that I was the one who pointed out that he got golf clubs and trips to Hilton Head. I never said it was proven, but he was caught red handed with the goods. There was never a formal investigation because my allegations were dropped when I was right sized out of a job. So I have my suspicions and it is highly likely he did get a kickback. That is where the "POSSIBLY" comes into play. I was silenced before it was ever 100% proven. You aren't related to a certain IT purchasing agent in the Carolinas are you? Seems you want to defend this guy a little too much.. :-)

brian153


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brian153
Marcusx70 wrote:You asked why would I do something like that without facts? I told you that I was the one who pointed out that he got golf clubs and trips to Hilton Head. I never said it was proven, but he was caught red handed with the goods. There was never a formal investigation because my allegations were dropped when I was right sized out of a job. So I have my suspicions and it is highly likely he did get a kickback. That is where the "POSSIBLY" comes into play. I was silenced before it was ever 100% proven. You aren't related to a certain IT purchasing agent in the Carolinas are you? Seems you want to defend this guy a little too much.. :-)


I have had experiences with people that run around making things up and placing blame on other people because of their own short comings (not that you would do that). If you re-read your first statement, the only thing you say is he was getting "special treatment" and "possibly" was taking kickbacks.Then you changed the narrative on your followup and added a bunch of your facts. Sounds to me like your story changed as soon as I questioned your motives. I would suggest you look at your first comment and then you may realize the reason I asked why you said what you claim happened. After reading your replies and your changing story, I'm going to stick to my original thoughts. Keeping in mind of course that this is a shopping web site and none of it matters anyway because you have a better job now. As far as defending this guy "a little too much"? Nope, I don't much care but I've had slackers that worked under me make claims like yours about me like me being racist, a drug dealer, a drug user, a drunk, a thief and other things like homophobic, anti religion or too religious. I just think it is too easy for some people to present their suspicions or feelings as facts. As far as you are concerned, I think you are POSSIBLY making this all up. Not that I have proof or anything (sound familiar?). Highly likely indeed although there will be no formal investigations since this poll will be ending very soon and nobody seems to care more than you or less than me.

Marcusx70


quality posts: 4 Private Messages Marcusx70
brian153 wrote:I have had experiences with people that run around making things up and placing blame on other people because of their own short comings (not that you would do that). If you re-read your first statement, the only thing you say is he was getting "special treatment" and "possibly" was taking kickbacks.Then you changed the narrative on your followup and added a bunch of your facts. Sounds to me like your story changed as soon as I questioned your motives. I would suggest you look at your first comment and then you may realize the reason I asked why you said what you claim happened. After reading your replies and your changing story, I'm going to stick to my original thoughts. Keeping in mind of course that this is a shopping web site and none of it matters anyway because you have a better job now. As far as defending this guy "a little too much"? Nope, I don't much care but I've had slackers that worked under me make claims like yours about me like me being racist, a drug dealer, a drug user, a drunk, a thief and other things like homophobic, anti religion or too religious. I just think it is too easy for some people to present their suspicions or feelings as facts. As far as you are concerned, I think you are POSSIBLY making this all up. Not that I have proof or anything (sound familiar?). Highly likely indeed although there will be no formal investigations since this poll will be ending very soon and nobody seems to care more than you or less than me.


So the real reason you came after me is that you have been blamed before in the same manner. Sorry that happened to you. When you first posed the question, I added more information just to clarify the story. Now the validity of my story comes into question based on your past. I cannot change what happened to you or to me. The facts in my case are the person got new golf clubs and trips that were unexplained. When that was pointed out by me, I was let go. The company didn't buy the hardware and saved millions. Those are the facts in my case even if you don't believe me. I am not here to prove myself to anyone about my own life just as I know you wouldn't want people questioning you on a public forum on what you posted about your life. I wish you well out here in Woot. Maybe the deals here can make up for the slackers you had to deal with.

justal313


quality posts: 0 Private Messages justal313

19 years old, often late, effed around a lot a work, just a run of the mill retail employee. My attitude/lack of committment/insubordination got me fired.

I've long since grown up and I totally understand their decision now, but at the time they were dicks.