quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Is walking a sport?
  • 16.5% - Yes. 96
  • 51.3% - No. 298
  • 29.8% - It depends. 173
  • 2.4% - I'm not sure. 14
581 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

roycee

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roycee

Normally no. Considering an activity a sport requires a sense of competition. I once finished a 5K race behind a Speed Walker, but normal walking can't be considered a sport until there is a disruptor playing defense!

giordana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages giordana

Competitive walking was a big thing in the 1870s and 1880s.
http://www.npr.org/2014/04/03/297327865/in-the-1870s-and-80s-being-a-pedestrian-was-anything-but

groberts1980

quality posts: 8 Private Messages groberts1980

Depends. I ran a 5K one time where people twice my age were power walking and passed me. If you're doing that, it's at least as much of a sport as foot racing is.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain

I remember power-walking past a couple of chumps in a 5K once.

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

nicepairofwooters

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nicepairofwooters
roycee wrote:Normally no. Considering an activity a sport requires a sense of competition. I once finished a 5K race behind a Speed Walker, but normal walking can't be considered a sport until there is a disruptor playing defense!

Well, then you can't consider any event that uses a lower time as the goal a sport. That would be swimming, speed skating, luge, etc. There is no disruptive force in those, either.

roycee

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roycee
nicepairofwooters wrote:Well, then you can't consider any event that uses a lower time as the goal a sport. That would be swimming, speed skating, luge, etc. There is no disruptive force in those, either.

My thoughts exactly! Throw a wild porpoise in the pool, or put a hockey goalie on the ice and we could start a fantasy league.

orionblue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages orionblue

you can't consider something a sport that you do for basic life functions and that would include eating!

davoh

quality posts: 7 Private Messages davoh

When I was in the Marine Corps, we "walked" up and down the hills at Camp Pendleton with 65lb packs on our backs. I'd consider that a sport of sorts.

elvi007

quality posts: 6 Private Messages elvi007

Sleep walking is definitely not a sport.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain

FEEL THE AGONY OF DE FEET!!!

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

SquidProject

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SquidProject
roycee wrote:Normally no. Considering an activity a sport requires a sense of competition. I once finished a 5K race behind a Speed Walker, but normal walking can't be considered a sport until there is a disruptor playing defense!

It doesn't have to be direct competition though--for instance figure skating. And IMO that kind of indirect competition can include oneself. So yes, walking could be a sport if it's done a) at fast enough pacing and long enough distance so as to become physically exerting and b) so long as there is some form of competition, either against one's own performance or those of others.

Video games, lacking the physical exertion component, will never be sports, no matter how many E's you place before the word "sports."

EDIT: Except for VR with real physical exertion. NES track and field with a 360 degree tread mill? yes pls