WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Are you good at repairing things around the house?
  • 38.9% - Yes! I'm great at it! 232
  • 52.9% - I can fix small things, but nothing major. 316
  • 8.2% - No. I create more problems than I fix. 49
597 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

davoh

quality posts: 7 Private Messages davoh

Why pay someone to do what I can do myself? I attempt all home repairs on my own.

However, If it's something that might jeopardize the integrity or appearance of my home or get me killed then I'll call someone to make the repair.

netprophet1976

quality posts: 1 Private Messages netprophet1976

I stay in my lane. I'm a solid carpenter, ok electrician, and worthless plumber.

moles1138

quality posts: 46 Private Messages moles1138

Depends on how busy dad is to help.

jcbroyes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcbroyes

I can do some, usually assisting my husband because he taught me about 1/2 of it. But he can do a LOT!

PocketBrain

quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain

I can fix most things, build new things, paint, etc. I leave stuff like A/C and 240V electric to the pros, though. I just put a section of fence back up and shored up the gate a couple weeks ago; a tropical storm had blown it down and I propped it up, clamped it in place, and the subsequent hurricane (Matthew) didn't knock it back down. Now it's extra sturdy.

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus

I do most everything myself, if I don't know how to do something I figure it out. In fact I'm more likely to call someone to do something I already know how to do(usually because I don't have time) than if I have no idea how to do it.I love a challenge!

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

SquidProject

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SquidProject

My dad was pretty handy, but literally the only thing I learned from him about fixing things was how to swear. The law of equivalent exchange applies to my repair work; I can't fix one thing without breaking another in the process.

At least then the thing my dad taught me comes in handy.

salanth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages salanth
davoh wrote:Why pay someone to do what I can do myself? I attempt all home repairs on my own.

However, If it's something that might jeopardize the integrity or appearance of my home or get me killed then I'll call someone to make the repair.

Yep, we replaced the garburator and put in a few USB outlets ourselves, but there's a lot of weird electrical work the previous owners did, so might as well get the professionals, since we're also doing audio-visual and network installations. Bouncy outlets and wire-jammed boxes are not good.

We took down the old blinds, but we're getting professionals to install the electric blinds, since they're going to be more complicated.

We could take out the crappy closet built-in, but the badly designed nook and TV built-ins required help from actual carpenters. They were surprised at some of the crap they found, too. Definitely was a good decision.

Halieus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Halieus

Have done new construction (commercial), complete home remodels, as well as small partial remodels (both residential & commercial). Been teaching HS for a few years now, but when I do take any side jobs, it's primarily high-end remodels because that's where the best money is in south FL.

Started as a kid working with my dad, then put myself thru college working maintenance and working for interior decorators. Now I have 2 completely different skill-sets: blue collar and white collar... so never had any trouble finding work.