WootBot

quality posts: 16 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: Have you ever been on a long-distance train trip?
  • 30.3% - Yes! It was awesome! 204
  • 5.5% - Yes! It was terrible. 37
  • 51.3% - No, but I'd like to. 345
  • 7% - No, and I never will. 47
  • 5.9% - I've never been on a train at all. 40
673 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

ardubu

quality posts: 9 Private Messages ardubu

Amtrak train from LA to Seattle.
Locomotive repairs delayed trip start by 4 hours - plus - 2 hour delay because all other trains that were on time - had priority over our train!
Total = 6 hour delay.
Sucked.

Ah, the hell with it.

manhandsha

quality posts: 62 Private Messages manhandsha
ardubu wrote:Amtrak train from LA to Seattle.
Locomotive repairs delayed trip start by 4 hours - plus - 2 hour delay because all other trains that were on time - had priority over our train!
Total = 6 hour delay.
Sucked.

Cross country several times. NEVER AGAIN, unless I'm getting off each day to get a hotel. Short trips are great, though!

roycee

quality posts: 5 Private Messages roycee

One month Eurail Pass, on a vacation with no agenda.
It was a thing of beauty.

SILVERLS

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SILVERLS

I've done a few train trips in my life. They were just trips, nothing special.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 61 Private Messages PocketBrain

I might want to try that once. But I'm riding in a boxcar, like a proper hobo.

Thanks to up-to-the-minute tracking, I don't track my package so much as stalk it.

cm20158

quality posts: 1 Private Messages cm20158

Kaiserslautern to Prague. Fantastic all day trip. Changed trains 2 times.
German railway system is fantastic.
The last leg from Dresden to Prague was beautiful.

HomerTime

quality posts: 2 Private Messages HomerTime

I have done it twice, once was fantastic (It was spacious and super comfy and nobody sat in the entire "quad" of seats I was occupying for the entire ride. Stops were numerous, but never lasted more than 5 minutes) and once was pure torture (I had about 1/3 of one seat next to the 400 pound lady next to me and every stop seemed to last about 20 minutes).

If I ever go again, I will spring the extra 50 bucks for a sleeper.

miscreant1

quality posts: 1 Private Messages miscreant1

Does the train at Busch Gardens count?

eblessman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages eblessman

Trans-Canada from Toronto to Vancouver, long trip.
City of N.O. from Chicago to NOLA, great trip with a private bedroom.

jcbroyes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcbroyes

From San Diego to LA, switched trains (red caps were on strike) on to Denver. It was relaxing & interesting.

mbspell

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mbspell

longest was an overnight from Munich to Paris. broke college student, could not afford sleeping car. NOT FUN

shorter train rides have all been great (bos - nyc; bos -portland, me; toronto - niagra falls; tokyo - osaka)

Aracos

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Aracos

I'd love to take the Orient Express someday. I want to do the trip to Machu Pichu first, but would also like to do the full Europe route.

giordana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages giordana

Boston to New Orleans, 1999. I left the day after a horrible accident on another New Orleans train, so I got lot of calls from people seeing if I was still alive. We were 1 hour late getting into Atlanta and 3 hours late into New Orleans. Sleeping in coach was doable, but not very comfortable. The deep South was a lot of kudzu and shacks with burglar bars. I'd do it again, with a sleeper.

Two years ago I took Amtrak from Albany to Cleveland for Thanksgiving. A 9-hour trip took about 12. Two adults and 2 infants were a tight fit in an economy sleeper. The ride was nice, the kids liked it, and the meals were free.

My bucket list includes a cross-country train ride (Amtrak, ViaRail, or both), and a ride on the Trans-Siberian Railroad (Moscow-Vladivistok).

netprophet1976

quality posts: 1 Private Messages netprophet1976

Amtrak was how my divorced parents used to pass me back and forth when I a kid, Pittsburgh to Philly. A 5 hour hour drive took 8 on the train.

snarkyman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages snarkyman

TGV in 2001 RT Paris to Marseilles
TGV in 2007 Zurich to Paris

Halieus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Halieus

In the summer of '94 (soon after the wall came down) took the Trans-Siberian (east) from Moscow to just past the Urals; spent the summer in Yekaterinburg.

Was supposed to be a 24-hour ride out back then, but the track needed 6 hours of repair, so took 32 hours. On the way home (3 months later), the trip was only 26 hours. Going out and coming back we had reserved all 4 berths (in one 4-person sleeper); so was a pretty nice ride with the entire room to ourselves.

During the summer, I took a few day-trips out of Yekaterinburg on the local trains (hard wooden benches, like old-time, unpadded church pews). That was still interesting, but not nearly as comfortable; I stood most of the time.

Was only concerned for my safety once the entire summer: when I realized the city we were visiting ("Asbest") was the largest producer of "asbestos" in the world.

originalamber

quality posts: 1 Private Messages originalamber

Does Champaign to Memphis on the City of New Orleans count? My son and I did that in '87 so he could start his cancer treatment at St. Jude. St. Jude flew us home.

Forgot to add, My son and I slept most of the trip in a seat. He was almost three.