borntohunt

quality posts: 103 Private Messages borntohunt

Short video demo . . .

Bowflex BodyTower

Time: 16-seconds

Uploaded on Feb 15, 2012

http://www.BowflexBodyTower.com

Description:

From the experts at in-home strength training, Bowflex brings you this multi-station tower that has unique and easy-to-use horizontal bars letting you increase the variety of your exercises, raise the intensity of your workouts, and improve the results of your fitness program. You can strengthen arms, legs and core muscles with chin-ups, tricep dips, squats, knee raises and more tried-and-true exercises.

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln

At present:

"Warranty: 90 Day Woot Limited Warranty"

From the Amazon link for what looks to be the same product, the chart indicates:

"Frame: 5 years
Wear parts: 1 year"

Is there a reason the manufacturer's warranty does not apply to the sport.woot's offering?

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1070 Private Messages whatsamattaU

One more video demonstrating a pull up

By the way, any guesses on when Pufferfishy chimes in on this later today? Just a hunch he'll chime in if he's looking in today.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

mrln wrote:At present:

"Warranty: 90 Day Woot Limited Warranty"

From the Amazon link for what looks to be the same product, the chart indicates:

"Frame: 5 years
Wear parts: 1 year"

Is there a reason the manufacturer's warranty does not apply to the sport.woot's offering?

That's an interesting point/question.
I will ping the buyer and see if I can't find out any further info.
Thanks for spotting it!

jakerson9

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jakerson9

This is great!
Wow, check out the Body Tower! It has a ton of places to hang hangers and pile dirty clothing, and not many places to gather dust at all. I think it will fit sideways into one of my closets. This has to be a huge step up from the Tony Little Gazelle!

Mattack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mattack

I would love for someone to explain to me how you do squats with this machine, unless you are just supposed to pick the whole thing up and squat the machine.

Get a smith machine.

Doctor1337

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Doctor1337

I've had one of these for about ten months. It works great! I have used it nearly daily for pull-ups, dips, etc. I haven't had any issues with it so far.

asiancoolio

quality posts: 0 Private Messages asiancoolio
Mattack wrote:I would love for someone to explain to me how you do squats with this machine, unless you are just supposed to pick the whole thing up and squat the machine.

Get a smith machine.

was wondering this myself

e/ found it - it's a semi-bodyweight squat

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/stores/sport-goods/Exercise/0212_bodytower_placard3.jpg

zuiquan

quality posts: 23 Private Messages zuiquan
Mattack wrote:I would love for someone to explain to me how you do squats with this machine, unless you are just supposed to pick the whole thing up and squat the machine.

Get a smith machine.

If you'd like to wreck your knees that'd be a good idea. Smith machines are known to be bad on your body. Myth No. 5. There are many more articles out there but you don't really need to go much further than Charles Poliquin.

shojobe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shojobe
zuiquan wrote:If you'd like to wreck your knees that'd be a good idea. Smith machines are known to be bad on your body. Myth No. 5. There are many more articles out there but you don't really need to go much further than Charles Poliquin.

Exactly. Get a Squat Rack if you actually want to do squats

06vmi06

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 06vmi06

This is 254 at amazon and walmart so where and how is this 60% off anything? at best it is 23% off those prices... really woot this is a crap deal and false advertisement.

honestly i was going to buy this and the craftsmen today off yall but now i am getting neither.

biggoron

quality posts: 11 Private Messages biggoron
shojobe wrote:Exactly. Get a Squat Rack if you actually want to do squats

this.

Smith machines will wreck your knees on squats, and shoulders on bench press.

Quality post? Me??

sidvil

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sidvil
zuiquan wrote:If you'd like to wreck your knees that'd be a good idea. Smith machines are known to be bad on your body. Myth No. 5. There are many more articles out there but you don't really need to go much further than Charles Poliquin.

being a professional weight lifter for 10 years. I can stand by what he says. I tell everyone that I work out with to avoid the smith machine. Not only do you loose true squatting weight, you also put excessive stress on one part of the knee. A true squat rack allows you to move and adjust your self reducing the chance of damaging the ligaments in the knee.

jpitt57488

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jpitt57488
06vmi06 wrote:This is 254 at amazon and walmart so where and how is this 60% off anything? at best it is 23% off those prices... really woot this is a crap deal and false advertisement.

honestly i was going to buy this and the craftsmen today off yall but now i am getting neither.

I think Woot is giving you the % off from the manufacturers retail price. I agree that it is a bit misleading, but I think it is the manufacturer that set an artificially high price. The same retail price is listed on Amazon.

Jshuntr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Jshuntr
06vmi06 wrote:This is 254 at amazon and walmart so where and how is this 60% off anything? at best it is 23% off those prices... really woot this is a crap deal and false advertisement.

Because you think they should be priced higher at other stores? If THIS is how you do your comparative shopping stay away from Ebay.

Shopping Tip: Buy what you need at what you feel is an acceptable price for the product.

Hyperbole version:
Man, I'd love to buy the 65 Mustang for 9,000, but my uncle got one in 65 for 2,700. FIND YOU A SUCKER ELSEWHERE!

/hyperbole

jpitt57488

quality posts: 5 Private Messages jpitt57488
sidvil wrote:being a professional weight lifter for 10 years. I can stand by what he says. I tell everyone that I work out with to avoid the smith machine. Not only do you loose true squatting weight, you also put excessive stress on one part of the knee. A true squat rack allows you to move and adjust your self reducing the chance of damaging the ligaments in the knee.

All good points here. With this machine they are talking about using it for a single leg "squat". You basically rest one foot on the padded bar. It looks more like a lunge than a true squat. You could accomplish the same thing with a chair .

zuiquan

jpitt57488 wrote:All good points here. With this machine they are talking about using it for a single leg "squat". You basically rest one foot on the padded bar. It looks more like a lunge than a true squat. You could accomplish the same thing with a chair .

Also known as the Bulgarian Split Squat and you can most definitely use a chair, bench, or even an exercise ball to rest your foot on. They're also very difficult without seeming to be very difficult. Do a 3/15 with bodyweight only and see if you're not ridiculously sore for the next day or two. The amount of stabilization you need when doing this exercise is quite astounding.

06vmi06

Jshuntr wrote:Because you think they should be priced higher at other stores? If THIS is how you do your comparative shopping stay away from Ebay.

Shopping Tip: Buy what you need at what you feel is an acceptable price!

/hyperbole

Just going off info on bowflex site and here

There was no price on the bowflex site as they referred you to their retail partners I read over te "retail" price on amazon. Sorry you got your pantyhose in a bunch because I made an error.

Wish we could all be as quick, well educated, kind humble and beyond error as you

Thank You jpitt57488 for pointing out my error in a much more respectful way.

zuiquan

06vmi06 wrote:Just going off info on bowflex site and here

There was no price on the bowflex site as they referred you to their retail partners I read over te "retail" price on amazon. Sorry you got your pantyhose in a bunch because I made an error.

Wish we could all be as quick, well educated, kind humble and beyond error as you

I think where you went wrong with your initial post was the amount of huffiness. That's why you experienced some backlash. Next time, maybe make your point but without the aggrieved tone and perhaps you will have people agreeing with you rather than being annoyed with you. Rants and threats don't tend to work well around here. Just my two cents, and that's probably all it's worth anyway.

Marichele

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Marichele

Does it come with the built in Physical Trainer that drags my sorry a** out of bed/off the couch? Otherwise it looks like a nice clothes rack.

Marichele

cperez357

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cperez357
I would love for someone to explain to me how you do squats with this machine, unless you are just supposed to pick the whole thing up and squat the machine.

Get a smith machine.

This should help with the exercise options

http://www.bowflexbodytower.com/bowflex-home-gyms-us/nln/bowflexbodytower.jsp

06vmi06

zuiquan wrote:I think where you went wrong with your initial post was the amount of huffiness. That's why you experienced some backlash. Next time, maybe make your point but without the aggrieved tone and perhaps you will have people agreeing with you rather than being annoyed with you. Rants and threats don't tend to work well around here. Just my two cents, and that's probably all it's worth anyway.

True... just had one of those mornings at work and did not check myself while typing

JeffRyemon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages JeffRyemon

Get a smith machine.

Bowflex = $205
Smith Machine = ~$1.5k-$3k

zuiquan

06vmi06 wrote:True... just had one of those mornings at work and did not check myself while typing

Happens to everyone at one time or another. Too bad there's no erase button on the internets. I know I'd like to have one at times.

spcyhknBC

quality posts: 6 Private Messages spcyhknBC

These things are great if you are already in shape. They give you a nice compact area to do all your bodyweight exercises, pushups, pullups, chinups, dips, etc... If you are not in shape though, you might be asking for trouble with this. In my experience, for this to be considered effective and worth it, you need to be able to do 8-12 reps of any one of the exercises. If you can't, stick with your countertops or get a machine that has a platform with weights attached so the machine can do some of the work for you until you can do it yourself.

zuiquan

spcyhknBC wrote:These things are great if you are already in shape. They give you a nice compact area to do all your bodyweight exercises, pushups, pullups, chinups, dips, etc... If you are not in shape though, you might be asking for trouble with this. In my experience, for this to be considered effective and worth it, you need to be able to do 8-12 reps of any one of the exercises. If you can't, stick with your countertops or get a machine that has a platform with weights attached so the machine can do some of the work for you until you can do it yourself.

If you can't do 8-12 pullups (that's probably 95% of Americans) you can use a therapy band to assist you. You can also use a chair and do negatives or jump to the up position to do negatives. There are many different assisting technologies you can use with a system like this. For dips you can use a chair to rest your feet upon or use elastics again. Or just don't do them like me. Thrashed shoulders = an aversion to dips.

spsmyth

quality posts: 2 Private Messages spsmyth
06vmi06 wrote:Just going off info on bowflex site and here

Just to let you know, Sears lists the MSRP at $499.00. They have it at $286.99 today. If you are comparing Woot's price to theirs, that's pretty good.

I have seen some pretty decent blog posts on this. Most of them rave about the build quality of the BodyTower; like a tank. It doesn't bend, creak or wobble like some other home gym equipment that will remain nameless KOF*BODYBYJAKE*KOF!! Most of the time on these things, you're more concerned about falling on your ass, rather than getting it in shape.

Steve S.

Former Apple tech and general IT guy.