WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Mongoose Bikes

BMXers, mountain bikers, and road bikers alike have long known that Mongoose bikes are as responsive, tenacious, and sleek as their animal namesake, but with a far lower incidence of rabies.
Mongoose official site

Quality Posts

avansmith

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avansmith

== A warning to those of you considering buying bikes from Woot ==

We purchased two different bicycles during a recent Woot sale and, in both cases, Woot's listed specifications were not just wrong, but described products that were grossly more expensive than the bikes that were delivered to us.

One of the bicycles that we purchased was the Mongoose Fireline, a bike that Woot is currently offering. For instance, Woot claimed -- and still claims -- that the Fireline comes with a 24-speed Shimano Acera drivetrain. Acera is Shimano's line of decent, entry level mountain bike components that are often seen on bikes costing from $400-$700 (Woot claims the Fireline is listed at $600). A drivetrain consists of the cassette, derailuers, chain and crankset.

Instead, our Fireline came with a cheaper Shimano Altus rear deraileur with the remaining drivetrain consisting of inexpensive Suntour components. The drivetrain difference alone is probably worth $50-$100.

Woot is aware of these specification discrepancies yet continues to promote substantially inflated and misleading specs, which I find discouraging and disappointing.

In any case, caveat emptor.

chiasmus2112

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chiasmus2112
avansmith wrote:One of the bicycles that we purchased was the Mongoose Fireline, a bike that Woot is currently offering. For instance, Woot claimed -- and still claims -- that the Fireline comes with a 24-speed Shimano Acera drivetrain.

Instead, our Fireline came with a cheaper Shimano Altus rear deraileur with the remaining drivetrain consisting of inexpensive Suntour components. The drivetrain difference alone is probably worth $50-$100.

Woot is aware of these specification discrepancies yet continues to promote substantially inflated and misleading specs, which I find discouraging and disappointing.

What say you, Woot? Waiting to see this answered before I pull the trigger on the Fireline.

razarblades

quality posts: 0 Private Messages razarblades

^^^What he said^^^

buff1110

quality posts: 0 Private Messages buff1110

Personally i would look on CL and grab a used bike as you will get a much nicer "real" bike for the money.

regassert

quality posts: 1 Private Messages regassert
avansmith wrote:== A warning to those of you considering buying bikes from Woot ==

We purchased two different bicycles during a recent Woot sale and, in both cases, Woot's listed specifications were not just wrong, but described products that were grossly more expensive than the bikes that were delivered to us.

One of the bicycles that we purchased was the Mongoose Fireline, a bike that Woot is currently offering. For instance, Woot claimed -- and still claims -- that the Fireline comes with a 24-speed Shimano Acera drivetrain. Acera is Shimano's line of decent, entry level mountain bike components that are often seen on bikes costing from $400-$700 (Woot claims the Fireline is listed at $600). A drivetrain consists of the cassette, derailuers, chain and crankset.

You may be right, but, and please, don't take this the wrong way: if you're that picky about your components, are you really looking at a Mongoose bike?

marvinbeaverdip

quality posts: 3 Private Messages marvinbeaverdip
regassert wrote:You may be right, but, and please, don't take this the wrong way: if you're that picky about your components, are you really looking at a Mongoose bike?

While I'll agree that decent components are important, the most important part of the bike is the frame. A cheap bike is going to have a heavy frame, and even a full set of XTR components isn't going to make that any better. This bike weighs 43lbs.. that is a pig. Mongoose does have some better bikes in their upper line, but this isn't one of them. Don't be fooled by fancy suspension or trick laced wheels. This bike will be fine for casual flat terrain riding, but don't buy it for yourself (or worse yet for your kids as a present) thinking it'll be used for all kinds of "mountain" biking.

avansmith

regassert wrote:You may be right, but, and please, don't take this the wrong way: if you're that picky about your components...

Bicycle vendors often create product lines based around common frames. Models are differentiated according to component mix.

For instance, several years ago Schwinn produced the Schwinn Rocket 1, Schwinn Rocket 2 and Schwinn Rocket 3 all using the same frame, but each model had different components. The retail price of the Schwinn Rocket 1 was $1,000, while the Schwinn Rocket 3 was only $500.

Would someone be "picky" who ordered and paid for the Schwinn Rocket 1 but who complained after receiving a Schwinn Rocket 3 worth only half as much? Of course not.

Listing the correct components in bike ads is extremely important because the component mix often accounts for most of a bike model's value. It's also the right thing for Woot to do, but Woot continues to do otherwise.

aliusa

quality posts: 8 Private Messages aliusa
avansmith wrote:
Listing the correct components in bike ads is extremely important because the component mix often accounts for most of a bike model's value. It's also the right thing for Woot to do, but Woot continues to do otherwise.

I'm not even purchasing a bike but the user is correct. There's no excuse -- the specification and detailed descriptions is KEY to online shopping. In fact, if the specification was incorrect, any part of it -- I'm not sure but I would think this user would have ground for legal actions.

I know woot! has a cult following but we shouldn't make excuses for what's wrong. There're now a multi-million company and must act like one now.

Ali

El Marko

quality posts: 8 Private Messages El Marko

43 lbs for a bike is ridiculous, especially since $249 isn't exactly a bargain price.

I miss the old Woot. I've been repeatedly complaining about the low-quality junk motorcycle helmets they've been selling, and there's been no response from TT or the Amazon Corporate Ted Healy.

Ah Woot, you've lost your mojo.

Secunza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Secunza
avansmith wrote:== A warning to those of you considering buying bikes from Woot ==

NOW THIS IS A QUALITY POST, THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION, YOU SAVE ME FOR THIS "DEAL".

beenerman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beenerman
Secunza wrote:NOW THIS IS A QUALITY POST, THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION, YOU SAVE ME FOR THIS "DEAL".

+1 Me too.

ncsuwolf96

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ncsuwolf96

Sad that Woot Staff still has not replied to the original concern.

jayceegator

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jayceegator
beenerman wrote:+1 Me too.

+3 Thanks for the info.

Glad I didn't pull the trigger yesterday. Wife and I are in the bicycle market. Will look elsewhere.

choralmusic

quality posts: 2 Private Messages choralmusic

Several times I've almost bought a bike from Woot. It seems I'm won't ever, based off of the testimony here and Woot's pitiful lack of a response.

Secunza

choralmusic wrote:Several times I've almost bought a bike from Woot. It seems I'm won't ever, based off of the testimony here and Woot's pitiful lack of a response.

The response from the Woot Staff is very clear: We dOOn´T care !!

lkarmaz15

quality posts: 2 Private Messages lkarmaz15

Woot's lack of response is as good as an admission of guilt.

Sad, I really wanted a new bike to take back to college with me...

xtreemsaver

quality posts: 2 Private Messages xtreemsaver
regassert wrote:You may be right, but, and please, don't take this the wrong way: if you're that picky about your components, are you really looking at a Mongoose bike?

The specs still should be correct. You wouldn't accept ordering a laptop with a i7 processor and they deliver one to you with an i5. Would you?

slukster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slukster

This bike has the same listed specs over on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-R5204-Mens-Fireline-Bicycle/dp/B001ASO2UA

Secunza

slukster wrote:This bike has the same listed specs over on Amazon:

Amazon bought woot a few years ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnCHCcveteA

avansmith

slukster wrote:This bike has the same listed specs over on Amazon:

It appears that the Mongoose Fireline is a 2008 or 2009 model and I suspect that the listed specs are for the original bikes.

My gut feeling is that Pacific Cycle, who now owns Mongoose, Schwinn and other bike brands, had a few Fireline frames left in their warehouse and they pieced together "Woot specials" out of generally cheap Frankenstein parts.

Woot's claimed specs for the Fireline make the $600 retail price plausible for 2008/2009. However, the bike that Woot sent me is not the bike in their ad. The component mix on our Fireline is more similar to cheaper "Wal-Mart bikes," the bicycles you typically encounter in big box discount stores.

BTW, the Fireline component differences do not end at the drivetrain. For example, the bike Woot sent us did not come with the RST Capa suspension fork that Woot advertises, but has a Suntour fork instead.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

hey all, we're working on getting answers to your queries here. sorry it's taking some time, and sorry if we disappointed you at any point previously.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

avansmith

PemberDucky wrote:hey all, we're working on getting answers to your queries here. sorry it's taking some time, and sorry if we disappointed you at any point previously.

I am disappointed because I let Woot know about these specific issues back in April and now it is June and Woot still has done nothing to correct the listed specs for the Mongoose Fireline.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

I've just received word that the specifications for the Mongoose Men's 26" Fireline Mountain Bike have recently been updated.

The updates include:
· Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M340 Altus
· Front Derailleur: Suntour FD-XMC-202 31.8 Top Pull

We sincerely apologize for the delay in response and for not correcting the issue sooner.
The moderating staff and I were awaiting a response from the buyer and vendor with assurance that the spec listing was corrected.

@avansmith
We greatly appreciate you alerting us to this unresolved issue and for being patient while we sought an answer. We hope that your previous purchase came to a satisfactory conclusion.

Our merchandisers and buyers pursue to acquire as much accurate and valid information as can be researched about our products and offers. Sometimes the information we gather is inaccurate/incorrect, however we always attempt to correct and rectify the issue and remedy those affected.

If anyone has any concerns, comments about this issue or questions about their orders, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com.

avansmith

ROGETRAY wrote:I've just received word that the specifications for the Mongoose Men's 26" Fireline Mountain Bike have recently been updated.

The updates include:
· Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-M340 Altus
· Front Derailleur: Suntour FD-XMC-202 31.8 Top Pull

We sincerely apologize for the delay in response and for not correcting the issue sooner.
The moderating staff and I were awaiting a response from the buyer and vendor with assurance that the spec listing was corrected.

@avansmith
We greatly appreciate you alerting us to this unresolved issue and for being patient while we sought an answer. We hope that your previous purchase came to a satisfactory conclusion.

Our merchandisers and buyers pursue to acquire as much accurate and valid information as can be researched about our products and offers. Sometimes the information we gather is inaccurate/incorrect, however we always attempt to correct and rectify the issue and remedy those affected.

If anyone has any concerns, comments about this issue or questions about their orders, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com.

Your response only partially addressed the Mongoose component specification shortcomings.

As I have already mentioned, the Fireline that Woot sent my family did not have the RST Capa fork (From the magnified Amazon product photo, it appears to be a T5. See: http://www.amazon.com/RST-T5-Suspension-200mm-threaded/dp/B000FIMTY2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&)qid=1370479197&sr=8-9&keywords=RST+Capa+fork).

Instead, the bicycle we got from Woot came with a Suntour XCT V2 (see http://www.amazon.com/SR-SUNTOUR-Mountain-Bike-Silver/dp/B005LABW2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370479621&sr=8-1&keywords=suntour+fork).

Woot still lists the RST Capa suspension fork in the Mongoose Fireline feature set.

There are other differences, like the pedals and the stem, as well. And there are no Shimano Acera components in the drivetrain at all, yet you still advertise "24-Speed Shimano Acera Drivetrain."

No, our bike purchases from Woot were among the most unsatisfactory online transactions that we have ever made and the last couple of messages that I sent to support@woot.com went unanswered.

My family has been a loyal Woot customer. Since 2011, we have paid for nearly 150 Woot orders (and among these, we only asked for Woot's help twice, including the other bike that we bought in April -- which was much more egregiously spec'ed than the Fireline), but due to our disappointing and discouraging Woot bike experiences in April, we have stopped buying anything from your company.

cw88shade

quality posts: 2 Private Messages cw88shade

I got the Fireline a several weeks ago and just as a FYI. It took for ever to ship. They must not have them on hand and shipping came from calli.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

In light of issues brought up with specification issues detected in purchases, the sales team has decided to pull the Mongoose Fireline sale in order to authenticate and make sure the features and parts listed on the sale are accurate.

If you have any questions or concerns about this, please feel free to email into Woot Member Services at support@woot.com

irqzero

quality posts: 3 Private Messages irqzero

"Mongoose sells essentially two lines of bicycles. One is a line of discount bikes offered through mass-merchandisers like Wal-Mart, Toys "R" Us and Target. The other featured on their website, are higher-end models sold through specialty bicycle shops." Guess which these are? Go on. Guess.