Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3812 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Good reviews (4.8 out of 5.0) over at opticsplanet.com

larabic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages larabic

Leupold is actually a very good company, all of my rifle scopes are Leupolds.

lichme

quality posts: 3127 Private Messages lichme

wchong4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wchong4

I suspect the reason this is up for sale is it is the angled model.

Which is fine, if your usage dictates the need for an angled spotting scope, but if you are getting this for hunting or target shooting, then a straight-through is much more comfortable and allows you to stay in the prone.

CowboyDann

quality posts: 716 Private Messages CowboyDann

sweet jesus mary mother of spaghetti. what is it with your deceptively large woots tonight woot?

Seriously like 40% larger than what the image i had in my head. You guys need to start using a banana for scale.
(seriously can you guys start using a banana for scale??)

wchong4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wchong4
CowboyDann wrote:sweet jesus mary mother of spaghetti. what is it with your deceptively large woots tonight woot?

Seriously like 40% larger than what the image i had in my head. You guys need to start using a banana for scale.
(seriously can you guys start using a banana for scale??)

Gyuh. She kept pronouncing it like the name "Leopold".

It's pronounced like "Loopold"!!!!

bear8699

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bear8699

This could be a pretty good deal. Leupold rifle scopes are in a whole different category as are their spotting scopes & binoculars. If you are going to use this for ONLY yourself - the straight-through model is often a better choice. If you are going to use the scope with family/kids - then the angled model (which costs more to produce) is a MUCH better choice so people of differing heights can use it without moving it (and all the attendant problems that causes). The 60mm is a decent size - and IMO the 15-45x is about the very best range for general use (esp to avoid atmospheric interference). I have several scopes and have found this range to be the best overall - but I do have a beautiful Leica (at 20x the $ now) that is much better in low light (which I use with several digital cameras). I also have a 24-72x (BIG, HEAVY) that is nice, but really cannot use it out very far. This just might be a good choice for you - consider how it will be used.

jakerson9

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jakerson9

Leupold optics are such high quality...
Here's 2 things that nobody has metioned it, this is "Tripod and digital camera compatable" for all the paparazzi and stalkers, and MORE importantly:

Leupold may offer a limited lifetime warranty on it.

(Woot - are you SURE its only a year?)

http://www.leupold.com/observation/spotting-scopes/sx-1-ventana-spotting-scopes/

silver78

quality posts: 0 Private Messages silver78

Well it does not include a tripod so you have to buy one seperately right?

Kirkstone

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Kirkstone

Using a spotting scope stand - i.e. Freeland - it is actually easier to maintain your position in prone with an angled eyepiece spotting scope than a straight eyepiece one. Ask me how I know.

Kirkstone

jakerson9 wrote:Leupold may offer a limited lifetime warranty on it.

(Woot - are you SURE its only a year?)

http://www.leupold.com/observation/spotting-scopes/sx-1-ventana-spotting-scopes/

The manual for this scope says limited lifetime warranty to the original purchaser unlike the full Gold Ring lifetime warranty on most of their other products which is transferable.

devexityspace

quality posts: 25 Private Messages devexityspace

If this came with it's Tripod, or if Woot was an "Authorized Dealer" for Leupold products (which is necessary for the Lifetime Gold Ring Warranty)

I would so jump on this as it's $87 cheaper than OpticsPlanet.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-15-45x60-straight-sx-1-ventana-spotting-scope.html

Bunnies Ogling Carrots Count: 6
Todd's Dirt: 6
Monkey Count: 3
Woot Lights Count: 1
Leak Frogs: 0

oriphel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oriphel
Kirkstone wrote:Using a spotting scope stand - i.e. Freeland - it is actually easier to maintain your position in prone with an angled eyepiece spotting scope than a straight eyepiece one. Ask me how I know.

I'll bite.

How do you know?

iguanabob69

quality posts: 2 Private Messages iguanabob69

What do they mean by "digital camera compatible"? Can I remove the eyepiece and install a T-mount adapter like I do on my telescope?

IguanaBob

vorant1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vorant1

If I had the extra 2 bills to spend I'd be all over this! Nice deal

[size=30]Vorant1[/size]

Kirkstone

Even if Woot were an authorized Leupold dealer, this is not a Gold Ring product and therefore not eligible for the transferable warranty regardless.

oriphel wrote:I'll bite.

How do you know?

I use a Freeland stand and angled eyepiece spotter shooting service rifle matches and with the angled eyepiece you can move your head to view your taget without breaking your position in prone.

tborr123

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tborr123

So other than hunting or bird watching, would a good use be on hillside house deck with a view of the city, or alternatively, from a high rise office also with views of the city? Or is there a better type of scope for that?

Zephrix

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zephrix

How would this compare to the Redfield that was up before the Woot-Off? The Redfield was 80mm not 60, and had a magnification of 20-60, instead of 15-45.

Would a "normal" person really know? IE someone watching the target 100 yards out while their daughter shoots a .22 at it?

lucasatakros

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lucasatakros

Product description copied from the Leupold Website, "Get up close and personal with nature. Our new SX-1 Ventana™ combines sleek and striking industrial design, and superior optical quality with a price that keeps exceptional spotting within reach. With more eyepiece choices, extreme magnification ranges, and Leupold’s Lifetime Warranty, you’ll experience greater comfort and more confidence - wherever you’re viewing."

lorinthompson14

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lorinthompson14
Zephrix wrote:How would this compare to the Redfield that was up before the Woot-Off? The Redfield was 80mm not 60, and had a magnification of 20-60, instead of 15-45.

Would a "normal" person really know? IE someone watching the target 100 yards out while their daughter shoots a .22 at it?

1. Leupold makes much better optics in general than Redfield. A 60X scope (or 20-60) will likely be dark and hard to see through unless the optics are excellent even if the lens is larger. This is a much better scope than the Redfield and will work for spotting .22 holes probably out to 300 meters or so.
2. 15-40X is great for anything at 100 yards, including .22 holes. I routinely spot .22 holes at 100 yards with a dedicated Leupold 36X riflescope, you should have no problem with this scope at that distance, probably even on the 15X setting.

Judy52

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Judy52

I need a spotting scope for bird watching from my deck. The longest distance would be 150 yards, the shortest would be 30 to 40 yards. I really can't afford much more than $300. Would this do the job for me?
Thanks for any help.

anschutz

quality posts: 9 Private Messages anschutz

As a longtime .22 target shooter I can vouch for and agree with Kirkstone that almost all target shooters when spotting themselves will use an angled scope such as this. It is much easier to stay in position with the angled eyepiece.

commonwealth109

quality posts: 1 Private Messages commonwealth109

First off, you DO want an angled spotting scope - that's why almost all of them you ever see being used are angled. Secondly, you WON'T find a better spotting scope in this price range. Unless you are using it for long distances right at dusk, you don't really need a more expensive model than this. And, imo, this is a better buy at $200 than the cheap ones are at $100. All that said, it is still $200 and I don't have it in the budget right now, sadly no, no scope for me today. But.... I.... want it.... so..... much!!!!

dscipione

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dscipione
anschutz wrote:As a longtime .22 target shooter I can vouch for and agree with Kirkstone that almost all target shooters when spotting themselves will use an angled scope such as this. It is much easier to stay in position with the angled eyepiece.

The average rifle scope is 3x to 9x magnification with a 40 mm objective. 45 x magnification with a clear 60mm objective will be like having a small Hubble Telescope for distances under 300 yards. Spotting .22 caliber rifle holes from a .22 LR should be a breeze at even 15x especially with hi visibility targets. 45x should be awesome for moon gazing.

Everbody

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Everbody

I'm interested! Has anyone used it for birding? Does this have zoom, or ablility to fit a zoom eyepiece?

------------------------
Quid malmborg im Plano
------------------------

wootdougwoot

quality posts: 13 Private Messages wootdougwoot
silver78 wrote:Well it does not include a tripod so you have to buy one seperately right?

Yeah, I just went to the flea market and found a Kodak camera tripod for $7 bucks!

The screw dimension is pretty universal

Gotta love the flea market...

Has anyone seen my velociraptor?

Everbody

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Everbody
Everbody wrote:I'm interested! Has anyone used it for birding? Does this have zoom, or ablility to fit a zoom eyepiece?

Chatted with a birder cousin of mine. He says this is a good deal. 15-45 means it zooms, I guess using that dial thing on top. A ring mount would be better but could be fitted. I'm in for one!

------------------------
Quid malmborg im Plano
------------------------

chelbell

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chelbell

It must have been awesome because it's already gone! So sad

Jon651

quality posts: 21 Private Messages Jon651

Just received mine today (March 30th) and took it for a spin around the back yard to see how it performed.

First, let me say that the video posted here is a little deceptive. The scope is not nearly so large in person as it appears on the video and it is pleasingly light. A small tabletop camera tripod will hold it easily and if you use one as a pistol grip it will stabilize it nicely when you are carrying it around.

Fit and finish is wonderful with tight clearances and smooth operation of the four movable parts - the focus knob, the twist-to-zoom eyepiece, the extendable eye cup and the extendable sun shade on the main lens. No rattles, slippage, or jerky movements at all.

The focus is quick and accurate and there is a generous depth of field. Both are much better than on my 8x24 binoculars. The zoom works smoothly and well but as expected if you zoom it all the way from 15x to 45x it will require re-focusing.

There is an exceptional amount of eye relief and the image really fills up the eyepiece from edge to edge. The one thing I am most impressed with is just how bright the image is, which was mentioned positively in many reviews. This is a very comfortable scope to use.

Based on the pricing I see on competitor websites this was an excellent deal and I would purchase it again without hesitation.

Cheers - Jon651