Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

digitalurbancamo

quality posts: 18 Private Messages digitalurbancamo

Some videos to help you decide.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

These are nice knives. I wasn't sold at first, but they really grow on you. The locking mechanism is seriously strong and secure. It takes a little getting used to, and cleaning and oiling helps, but then it's quite nice--maybe even preferable to liner locks. Blasphemy, I know.

The steel has held up well too. It may not be the primo super steel, but at this price, it's a great buy.

The LARGE is quite intimidating too. Shouldn't have any trouble skinning a deer.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3695 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

check out this youtube video about the cold steel voyager vaquero large

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIVglUtZY6Y

digitalurbancamo

quality posts: 18 Private Messages digitalurbancamo

Price check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Cold Steel Voyager Vaquero
Amazon: $39.99
BladeHQ: $45.95
NotJustKnives: $39.90
ebayBUYITNOW: $38.98
WOOT!: $17.99

Woot destroyed the competition this time around!

paintballove

quality posts: 3 Private Messages paintballove

I bought the large serrated last time.

I carry it now as my everyday carry knife (keep in mind that it is big, but I'm 6'4 and 195lbs, so it's not a big footprint in my pockets) but if you intend on carrying this, consider the medium.

Feels very strong, retails for MUCH more on other sites, Woot's offering on this is pretty good. I like mine.

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

Medium closed, large closed, medium opened, large opened.

Now woot, please get the XL Vaquero up on here!

that was fun while it lasted!

Yellowbeard

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Yellowbeard

I bought one the last WOOT-Off for $19.99. And I have one from a previous WOOT as well.

chriskmee

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chriskmee

Any reason why there is no large standard blade available?

jeffsenpai

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jeffsenpai

I wish there was a large standard edge blade available, as I do not like serrations. I suppose the medium will have to do!

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr

Hard - if not impossible - to keep sharpened.

thomasterrible

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thomasterrible

I bought one of the medium smooth and large serrated blade the last time these were up.
They are good quality knives for the price. Good grip, especially on the larger one. I am guessing that the large smooth blade is not available as there was not the surplus of them for Woot to sell. I would rather have had one too.
The one feature I question is the claim of their "lightening fast opening". Granted mine are new and not worn in and oiled etc. but still the claims is far from true more so on the large one, so if that is an important feature I would go with a different knife, perhaps an assisted opening style.

weizenale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weizenale
digitalurbancamo wrote:Price check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Cold Steel Voyager Vaquero
Amazon: $39.99
BladeHQ: $45.95
NotJustKnives: $39.90
ebayBUYITNOW: $38.98
WOOT!: $17.99

Woot destroyed the competition this time around!

I'm so pissed i have one on the way from amazon right now!!

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman

I've said it time and time again when these come up for sale - you can't buy a better knife for this price. I have abused the hell out of both the serrated and straight edge in both sizes over the months and the larger straight edge is now my EDC . . . I've paid $25 a knife and felt like I got a bargain to brag about, at this price, I'll buy more (and keep on bragging) . . . I REALLY wish woot! would offer a different model of the Cold Steel line of knives as myself, like a lot of others here, would be all over that . . .

Great woot!, don't hesitate, buy three. There is a ton of good info in the comments from previous sales. Check it out!

kevieugene

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kevieugene

Do I get flat or serrated?

weizenale

kevieugene wrote:Do I get flat or serrated?

you get to choose on the medium but only serrated on the large.I like plain edge myself

gregbowman

sdbcmr wrote:Hard - if not impossible - to keep sharpened.

Use a Smith's Pocket Pal (for the serrated) or an AccuSharp 001 (for the straight edge) from Amazon, they get the job done very well and keep the knives in superb working order. The serrated edge takes some work with the Pocket Pal, but you'll get great results if you keep at it! Plus, both are very inexpensive, about $8.00 USD for each sharpening solution!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

chriskmee wrote:Any reason why there is no large standard blade available?

Most likely. Question is what's the reason. Can't help you much there either.

Could be we sold out of them a while back.
Or the vendor didn't have any to sell us.
Or we didn't buy any.
Or...

Add your own!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kevieugene

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kevieugene

You can't keep the sharpened? Are they crappy?

weizenale

kevieugene wrote:You can't keep the sharpened? Are they crappy?

they aren't crappy at all and and this price i wouldn't pass it up.I'm pissed that i ordered one i should get tomorrow and after shipping here it will be like 25 bucks.i paid 39.99

gregbowman

You can keep them plenty sharp . . . these knives are the opposite of crappy.

http://sport.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5360151&pageindex=1&replycount=19#post5360300

stanmann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stanmann

As far as lightning fast, the Large is faster than the medium. And with a kinetic(gravity) open, As fast or faster than any of my other EDC knives.

Thejoshammer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thejoshammer

I bought a large one just recently. Only complaint so far is the type of screws they use to attach the pocket clip. I will have to invest in a precision torx screwdriver to get it switched.

dbikoff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dbikoff

How come Amazon has no problem shipping this to my zip code??

DrJ48

quality posts: 5 Private Messages DrJ48

This medium Voyager is a very fine knife with a long lasting edge that will resharpen to standard. Compared to the larger, the medium is better suited for anyone with small to medium size hands and fits a back pocket comfortably without damaging the pocket. With a 3" blade it is also more legal to carry than the 4" and, hence, less likely to draw the attention and commentary of local enforcement.

tigger2000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tigger2000

No, they are far from crappy. It is an excellent knife and for 19 bucks they are practically giving them away.
The Voyager shown on Cold Steel’s web site costs 3x as much as the Voyager Woot is offering.
I run mine through a two stage electric knife sharpener (also brought from Woot) and it is indescribably sharp. It is tough, strong, and will take extreme, but not carless abuse; it’s a knife, not a screwdriver or pry bar. I liked this knife so well I brought its big brother the extra large Voyager with an American Tanto point. So getting back to your question, after a ride around the park. NO it is not a crappy knife. They will make great, inexpensive Christmas gifts, if you can bear to part with them after you get them. Cold Steel also has one of the best warranties in the knife business.

yraiym

quality posts: 1 Private Messages yraiym

I got my husband the medium plain edge the last time this was on. He has it as his normal pocket knife, and LOVES it. It came so sharp that one must not play around with it: you WILL cut whatever you touch (not slice, not jab -- TOUCH) with the blade or point.

We also own Cold Steel kitchen knives. They are high quality blades, hold an edge, but also are relatively easy to sharpen.

fridayrs

quality posts: 7 Private Messages fridayrs
kevieugene wrote:Do I get flat or serrated?

It depends on the use. I prefer smooth. Here is a link that can help you decide.

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-information-70.html

ngc6475

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ngc6475

I bought a couple of these in a previous Woot. The knives are very well made with a good blade and a sturdy, grippy handle. The blade is an odd shape that might limit its utility for some people, but it can be honed and sharpened, when necessary, and it holds up well to a lot of use. Recommended.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

timetravelerd

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timetravelerd

In for 3 large serrated. At that price, when the serration start to go, I'll just pull a new one out of the package.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

Spyderco knives, please. Cold Steel is meh.

Suck it, Trebek.

mitchlouis32

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mitchlouis32

Just a warning to all of you, I've carried the medium straight edge constantly for coming up on four months and can't bring myself to buy much else. I still want a spyderco or benchmade, but I pull this one out of my pocket to compare side by side and I just can't rationalize it until I find that perfect knife. So for the time being, I just bought two more. One likely to gift to a friend, one as a spare. If you're not happy with this knife for the price, frankly I'd be shocked.

Also, I love carrying tip up. This one fits the bill.

phpeters87

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87

Looks like a nice EDC knife. I'm in for one. Just wish they had the combo edge but I went with the 4" serrated edge.

I also like the deep finger grooves so you don't end up cutting your finger as it is less likely to slip from the handle.

IDK how long the pocket clip is, but it looks like it could use one just a bit longer, but I'll have to wait and see once it's in my hands.

Lot's of good reviews on the 'net and Woot is selling this for about 1/2 the price as Amazon.

rjsdad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rjsdad
dbikoff wrote:How come Amazon has no problem shipping this to my zip code??

Because woot's lawyers have a CYA clause in there that they think is beneficial.

Of the three zip codes they will ship to in NY for example - two of them literally share a boarder with NYC... so much for blaming NYC for the issue. Yet I can't have one sent to my house or my office out on the island, or my hunting property far upstate near Canada...

But I can send it to my uncle's business that is literally two blocks from the queens border.

tl;dr - woot's legal team are employees, and think that alienating sales from an entire state of dedicated wooters because they seem to think that draconian laws that govern literally 5% of that state govern the rest of it, literally hundreds of miles away.

Yet, as I've said - several zip codes that are within a stone's throw of said draconian city manage to be okay some how.

/shrug/ I've written them several times on this with no response.

phpeters87

I already received my order.

This is a well-built, serious piece of quality steel.

I opted for the 4" Serrated blade and it snaps open with a solid and authoritative sound.

I showed it to a few of my friends and the first words out of their mouths was "Holy S***!"

After some WD-40 and opening/closing repetition, I can snap open the blade without using the thumb assist.

The grip and ergonomics are great as well. I even put some liquid dish soap on my hand and jabbed the knife at a stack of cardboard and my grip didn't slip.

Everything is nice and tight - no play in the blade at all and the lock back on the spine is rock solid.

I may have to try to bend the clip a bit so it's easier to remove from my pocket when held in place with the clip.

This is a great defensive EDC knife and I hope that the menacing looks and the sound of the blade snapping open will defuse any situation from escalating.

It's the knife equivalent of racking the slide on a Shotgun.

Excellent deal on a quality knife.
This knife retails for $80.00 on the Coldsteel web site.

I should have bought two at this price - one serrated and one straight edge.

sdewndr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdewndr

Ordered over a week ago and still has not been delivered, very disappointing.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 592 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

sdewndr wrote:Ordered over a week ago and still has not been delivered, very disappointing.

Looking at your tracking, it shows it was delivered to the post office yesterday. You should have it soon.

Check your spam folder for the shipping email. You can find your tracking info in Stuff You Bought at the top of the page.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

phpeters87

thomasterrible wrote:I bought one of the medium smooth and large serrated blade the last time these were up.
They are good quality knives for the price. Good grip, especially on the larger one. I am guessing that the large smooth blade is not available as there was not the surplus of them for Woot to sell. I would rather have had one too.
The one feature I question is the claim of their "lightening fast opening". Granted mine are new and not worn in and oiled etc. but still the claims is far from true more so on the large one, so if that is an important feature I would go with a different knife, perhaps an assisted opening style.

I have the LG Serrated and blade opening and closing was pretty stiff.

I used some WD-40 and did quite a few open/close repetitions to break it in and now, the knife is smooth as butter and I can deploy the blade with a flick of the wrist without the assistance of the thumb stud.

And yes, it opens "Lightening Fast" now that's broken in.