WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What is most important to you in an EDC knife?
  • 13.1% - Versatility 124
  • 19.4% - Easy operation 183
  • 18.4% - High-grade steel 174
  • 35.3% - Durability 334
  • 7.9% - Compactness 75
  • 5.8% - Something else I'll take a stab at explaining in the comments 55
945 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

debfrost

quality posts: 0 Private Messages debfrost

what's EDC?

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
debfrost wrote:what's EDC?

EDC = Every Day Carry, example, a pocket knife you don't leave home without.

jfountain2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jfountain2

Most important? Made in America.

My Woots, so far...
Sandisk Sansa e260 4GB Media Player (2)
Samsung High Efficiency Front Load Washer and Dryer
Kodak 7.1MP Camera & Printer Dock Plus Bonus Bundle
Jawbone II Bluetooth Headset
Kodak 7.1MP Camera & Printer Dock Plus Bonus Bundle

PhilCarr

quality posts: 3 Private Messages PhilCarr

I carry a Kabar Becker BK14 (American made) on a lanyard around my neck. It lays flat against my chest. I work in an office with a business casual dress code, and no one has ever noticed. It's fixed blade of pretty good quality steel, and very, very sharp. Just ask my finger the first day I had it. Very versatile, and more stable than a folder because of the full tang. Becker has a full line of these "neck knives" I'd like to see on Woot!.

jakeiscrazy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jakeiscrazy

Durability used to come first but now its the steel. OF course the knife can't be cheap but I don't mind if the tip is thin. Current EDC is Spyderco Endura. If I dropped it on a hard surface, the tip would be toast. But the VG10 hold an edge so well its worth it.

grover51

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grover51

My everyday knife is a Chris Reeve Sabenza.
High grade, high versatility and fairly compact.

truthancisco

quality posts: 0 Private Messages truthancisco

Durability and High Grade steel is key to a good blade. Just look at the pinacles of knife design out there: the Becker BK2, the ESEE 5, Bussee Knives (both high grade steel and durable). Let's not forget the folders and their stainless super steels and highly compact designs like Spyderco. Versitility is important but several people would call a Mora the most versitile knife in the world and the reason, it's simple durable and made with good steel.

mitchlouis32

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mitchlouis32

Not one of these traits makes an ideal EDC alone by any means. Think we'd all agree on that.

Echoedchaos

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Echoedchaos

For me, an EDC folder needs a good lock. A good folder should work as well as a fixed blade when open. I can't tell you how many times I've had a folder fold over with a little bit of pressure or a hard tap. Some of the scars on my hands and fingers can attest to that. The only folders I've found that have a strong lock are SOG blades with their patented lock system. I've thrown one of those blades without it closing. I have yet to see any other blade lock like it.

I tend to be rough on my EDC, so I shifted away from folders years ago. Currently my EDC is a custom forged (no major name, 420HC) fixed blade with a self wrapped paracord handle. Fits right in my inside jacket pocket or in my boot without any show or discomfort. My outdoor carry is a fixed blade Kabar tanto.

~Echoed Chaos~
like chaos, only more echoey...