4%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

doomtothee

quality posts: 47 Private Messages doomtothee

That is SO cool! You mean I don't have to buy an exercise bike?
Remember everybody, your knees and back go first when you get old so low impact exercise is hugely important (like biking).

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

chipgreen

quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
doomtothee wrote:That is SO cool! You mean I don't have to buy an exercise bike?

Nope, you can just buy one of these for around the same price.

digitoast

quality posts: 5 Private Messages digitoast

For those who don't know, Graber is the parent company of Saris/CycleOps (who makes the well known and respected Fluid2 trainer). If this is anything similar to the resistance unit used on the Fluid2, then it is a great bargain. I own many different trainers and rollers, but have been training on the Fluid2 as my primary for 4-5 years. Might pick this one up for my wife in the morning if she wants it -- it'll be much better than using a magnetic resistance trainer.

digitoast

quality posts: 5 Private Messages digitoast

A question for woot (or Graber if they are monitoring this):

Is the resistance roller PVC or Metal?

It seems that many of the graber trainer descriptions that I have found for the mag models say "same resistance unit as cycleops, but with a PVC roller" (or something to that effect).

MarkES

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MarkES

In the features it says '•Heavy duty replaceable skewer included'

What is that?

alextc78

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alextc78
MarkES wrote:In the features it says '•Heavy duty replaceable skewer included'

What is that?

the skewer is the rod that attaches your wheel to your bike frame, or in this case, the trainer.

MarkES

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MarkES
alextc78 wrote:the skewer is the rod that attaches your wheel to your bike frame, or in this case, the trainer.

So in order to use this I have to replace the skewer on my rear wheel and use their's?

kokeman36

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kokeman36
MarkES wrote:So in order to use this I have to replace the skewer on my rear wheel and use their's?

Yes

rtfirefly

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rtfirefly
chipgreen wrote:Nope, you can just buy one of these for around the same price.

The advantage, of course, is that with one of these, you don't have to have your road bike AND a full-size exercise bike cluttering up your basement.

I'm recovering from an Achilles tendon rupture last month, and I'm thinking it might be worth it to get one of these to start building up strength again. The PT already has me on an exercise bike, but that's just 20 minutes a week.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

Am I going to regret my purchase of the Graber Mid Mag Training Kit from a few days ago instead of getting this?

Suck it, Trebek.

landsnark

quality posts: 10 Private Messages landsnark
ghostofdavid wrote:Am I going to regret my purchase of the Graber Mid Mag Training Kit from a few days ago instead of getting this?

Of course not. C'mon, have you *ever* regretted a woot?

hulfy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hulfy
MarkES wrote:So in order to use this I have to replace the skewer on my rear wheel and use their's?

Does this mean I have to disassemble (at least partially) my bike's rear wheel in order to use this trainer?? Any link to a video of this being attached??

aerospace

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aerospace

Anyone having any luck finding reviews for this? I found a 4 star review on the pencil's website and that's it.

mrs.embee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrs.embee
hulfy wrote:Does this mean I have to disassemble (at least partially) my bike's rear wheel in order to use this trainer?? Any link to a video of this being attached??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klwb7GGUyRU

The "quick release" is the part of the wheel you need to swap out in order to secure the bike onto the trainer.

hdmatrix

quality posts: 1 Private Messages hdmatrix

Can this be used with a mountain bike or just a road bike with narrow tires?

cheffelipe

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cheffelipe

I have a cycleops fluid 2 trainer that I've been using for a couple of years. You might not have to use their skewer if yours is already steel, but keep it mind that it will get scuffed up being clamped down in the trainer.

You should be able to use a mountain bike, but if you have a knobby tire it will be bouncy, same goes if you try to use any road tire with traction.

I recommend getting a riser block for the front wheel, or else you'll be constantly at a down angle. I have this one http://www.amazon.com/CycleOps-Riser-Indoor-Bicycle-Trainers/dp/B000BT7HX8

Also, you'll save your outdoor tire if you buy a low rolling resistance rear tire like this one http://www.rei.com/product/786331/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-home-trainer-foldable-tire-700-x-23

Usually I install swap out the trainer tire onto the road bike at the same time I'm putting the studded tires on the winter bike and cleaning the rust off the Pugsley.

Honestly the construction doesn't look to be that good on this model and I would probably pass. You can find nearly new used trainers sometimes on Craigslist that are of higher build quality. This one looks like the department store Mongoose of the trainer world.

wolfestone

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wolfestone

Is there risk of the axle attachments scratching the rear dropouts, or does the replaceable skewer hold them far enough out that it won't be an issue? I'd hate to gouge or scratch the finish on the frame.

cheffelipe

Then again, this is how we train in MN

cheffelipe

wolfestone wrote:Is there risk of the axle attachments scratching the rear dropouts, or does the replaceable skewer hold them far enough out that it won't be an issue? I'd hate to gouge or scratch the finish on the frame.

It clamps to the skewer and there is a buffer from the frame. I've never scratched any bikes and haven't ever heard of it happening either.

zeta30

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zeta30

The downside of one of these compared to an exercise bike is that the trainers are very loud. We have one upstairs in our house and it is almost unbearable to be downstairs if my wife or I are using it. I've heard that the more expensive ones like the Kinetics aren't quite as loud as they use a different form of resistance.

jalexan

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jalexan

I just got a bike trainer from amazon 2 months ago and it has been great for staying active in the winter. Mine is magnetic - I wish this one had popped up a few months ago!

My piece of advice is to put a slick rubber tire on the rear wheel of your bike if you have knobby mountain bike tires. The sound these things make without a slick tire is just slightly lower than a jet engine.

bbgager

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bbgager

on Amazon right now for $93.00

true559

quality posts: 22 Private Messages true559

These are great for rainy days when you can't ride outside. Be sure you get a rear tire designed for a trainer as the trainer can go through a road tire rather quickly.

daithi2

quality posts: 3 Private Messages daithi2
bbgager wrote:on Amazon right now for $93.00

different model.

xenotionar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xenotionar
bbgager wrote:on Amazon right now for $93.00

That's the magnetic trainer, not the fluid trainer. Quite a bit of difference.

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22

When you mount the bike on the trainer, it holds across the axle. So it puts pressure on the skewer. Also, some skewer ends may not fit. So bottom line, easier to use theirs. Just unscrew skewer all the way, slip out and slip this one in. No mechanical aptitude required. (meaning, even I can do it.)

EDIT: Already answered, but I second the fact that it is easy. No tools needed.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

zkjrwp1vgjbfxre

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zkjrwp1vgjbfxre

its pretty easy for me to just go out and ride my bike

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1062 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Can't find product website, just that they're out of Wisconsin. For future reference $149.99 today.

mannyman123

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mannyman123

Do you guys think this would work with a 3 wheeled bike with 20" wheel in the back?

urbanrastaman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages urbanrastaman

How does this compare to the Kinetic fluid trainer?

EZRider2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages EZRider2

In for one. Less than half a Fluid 2. My old bike has electronics on it so I can monitor speed, cadence, pace, distance, heart rate, etc. This will be perfect to set up in the basement for nasty days when I don't want to get out on the carbon bike. I'm training for my first Bike MS 150, and I can't afford to miss training rides!

hulfy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hulfy

Wow! I just got this today, my first Woot, and am very happy with it. It was easy to set up (had to back off the tension knob almost all the way in order to hook up my wheel) and it works!! I did 20 minutes on it as a quick try out, a little noisy but not bad, got my heart rate up nicely. I can see using this while watching a streaming half hour sitcom or two each day while the cold weather lasts. Thanks Woot!