WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Little Hotties to Keep You Warm

What a hot item we're selling here, eh? Surely, these fiery savings will appeal to your budget-conscious lifestyle. Because, while other stores are busy trying to keep their shelves stocked with crap, we're bringing the heat. Also, these things keep your hands warm!
Little Hotties official site

81prelude


quality posts: 6 Private Messages 81prelude

I ordered these thinking they would be hot as the name implies. I was disappointed to find out these barely get warm. "Warmies" should be what they are called. You would be better off rubbing your hands together.

scapsinger


quality posts: 21 Private Messages scapsinger

Good product, will get pretty warm. Helps take the edge off in cold weather. Lasts 6-8 hours depending on how thick or insulated your gloves are.

Note that if it's particularly windy, the heat will be wicked off your hands/gloves just as easily as without using hand warmers. Mittens work best in those conditions anyway.

YoSpiff


quality posts: 5 Private Messages YoSpiff

I bought a case of the toe warmers to use when cycling on cold days. They don't seem to get very warm to the touch, but after a number of rides in the low 30° range with and without them, I can tell they are indeed helping. Even with several layers of wool socks, my toes get chilled without them. With them, I'm fine. Just make sure to open the packet 20-30 minutes before you need them, so they have time to warm up.

losthighwayz


quality posts: 54 Private Messages losthighwayz
YoSpiff wrote:I bought a case of the toe warmers to use when cycling on cold days. They don't seem to get very warm to the touch, but after a number of rides in the low 30° range with and without them, I can tell they are indeed helping. Even with several layers of wool socks, my toes get chilled without them. With them, I'm fine. Just make sure to open the packet 20-30 minutes before you need them, so they have time to warm up.



you think the hand warmers would work under cycling gloves? my fingers get ice cold

"The older I get the better I was"

Stupoopy


quality posts: 3 Private Messages Stupoopy
81prelude wrote:I ordered these thinking they would be hot as the name implies. I was disappointed to find out these barely get warm. "Warmies" should be what they are called. You would be better off rubbing your hands together.



I've always had luck with this brand.

You need to make sure you're getting enough oxygen flow around the warmer so as to allow the oxidation reaction to occur. The oxidation of iron in the packets create an exothermic reaction, which is what produces heat.

That's my understanding, at least.

meinmaine


quality posts: 1 Private Messages meinmaine

I've had pretty good success with these while I am outside in frigid Maine. I've used the hand and the foot types.

You do need to have air get to them for the warming reaction, so you can't bind them up in something really tight and expect good results.

Here's a tip if you don't need to use them for the several (up to 8) hours they last. When you come in, put them in a zip-closing baggie, squeeze out the air and seal them up. The reaction will end, but will start up again when you remove them from the baggie the next day or even several days later.

pitamuffin


quality posts: 12 Private Messages pitamuffin

Youth baseball season here in Chicago starts in April. The kids playing are cold, but the parents sitting and watching are even colder. I'm always looking for these hand warmers come April, and they're a little harder to find in stores then. This year I'm set, thanks to Woot, and it's an even-better deal since I've already unlocked free shipping. So thank you Woot!

syellina


quality posts: 0 Private Messages syellina

Be careful if you order these because Woot must have way too many of them. I ordered one box and received 36 boxes. They came in six large cartons weighing 230 pounds. I got 1440 hand warmers not 40. I am having a heluva time getting Woot to take them back. The first response was to take them to the post office and mail them back. I think customer service thinks I am just playing a game with them. I may have to send them a picture.

davemeigs5


quality posts: 6 Private Messages davemeigs5

These work great when new, but the ones I got a while ago don't.

ExactlyAmy


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ExactlyAmy

Any idea what the expiration date is on the bottom edge of the packages?

pitamuffin


quality posts: 12 Private Messages pitamuffin
ExactlyAmy wrote:Any idea what the expiration date is on the bottom edge of the packages?



I just checked the box of hand warmers I received the other day, and the date is June 2015.

pitamuffin


quality posts: 12 Private Messages pitamuffin
syellina wrote:Be careful if you order these because Woot must have way too many of them. I ordered one box and received 36 boxes. They came in six large cartons weighing 230 pounds. I got 1440 hand warmers not 40. I am having a heluva time getting Woot to take them back. The first response was to take them to the post office
and mail them back. I think customer service thinks I am just playing a game with them. I may have to send them a picture.



If this is true, it must win the prize for worst shipping screw-up! I hope you didn't get charged for that many. And please do post a picture here -- I would love to see what that looks like.

mosier8


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mosier8

I am pretty sure woot is acting as a clearance rack for these. I bought the last time they were on here, about 6 weeks ago.

They have about 1 yr until their expiration date, and I was very disappointed at the number that barely get warm. The closer you get to expire, the worse they perform.

I would estimate no better than 50/50 in my box got 'hot'. Of the 50% that didn't, 1 out of 4 didn't even warm up.

I have bought these products many times in stores, this is my worst experience. FWIW.

neiner


quality posts: 0 Private Messages neiner

I bought a box from this batch and they're all defective. I've used these for years and they usually get HOT! These,... not so much. I used a thermometer to check and max temp is 100°. miserable meeces. I contacted woot three days ago but haven't heard back yet except for the generic "we got your email" message.