4%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2292 Private Messages lichme

Here's a couple of reviews over at Amazon - One indicated some problems with the lining.

lostshadow7

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lostshadow7

At 7.7 lbs I wouldn't take it backpacking. Good for car camping though.

tswinkler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tswinkler

Can you zip 2 together for a mega sack?

Travis Winkler

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 2567 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

great reviews (4.8 out of 5.0) over at the O

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Grizzly-Rip-Stop-0-Degree-Sleeping-Bag/2552880/product.html

lonelypond

quality posts: 376 Private Messages lonelypond

Looks warm. Want one in my office now.

Vote

brian1269

quality posts: 0 Private Messages brian1269

Looks like Woot dump some more Chinese crap. Can't find any reviews of this by any outdoor sites or even on youtube. Went to the manufacturers site (www.grizzlystuff.com) and it's about as cheesy as it gets. Clicked on the Reviews section and it says "why you should trust & choose grizzly brand" at the top and the rest is a totally blank page.
The only thing this bag has going for it is that it's cheap. I'm sure it would be great for kids camping out in the living room.

mm20

quality posts: 33 Private Messages mm20

If I'm looking for a zero degree bag, it's because I need it in winter, or at high altitude. Either way, personally, I prefer a mummy bag. Mummy bags cut weight by tapering at both ends. An added bonus of the tapering is that the fabric of the bag is kept closer to the body, trapping additional heat.

In short, if you're car camping, these are fine. If you're getting out there, these are way, way too big and bulky.

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

trinifawk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages trinifawk

So, umm, we are looking at buying two or three of these to go camping. My wife and I have never been camping by ourselves together, and we live in California. We plan on starting off at campsites close to home, and expanding from there. We will always be taking a vehicle to go camping, as we have a 1.5 year old that will be camping with us. Any thoughts or suggestions?
We were thinking about renting the rest of our gear to see if we like it before buying, but purchasing our own sleeping bags seems to be the best bet.

btw, what is car camping?

differentuser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages differentuser

These bags will suit you fine.
My wife and I bought our first bags from K-Mart
(Literally K-Mart $23.99) And compared to the 79-99-$399 bags, yes. They sucked.
However for "car camping" (driving from here to there, unpacking the coolers, tents, bags and setting it up around the picnic table). They were, and these Will be totally fine.
If you have any doubts, bring an extra blanket or some socks

trinifawk wrote:So, umm, we are looking at buying two or three of these to go camping. My wife and I have never been camping by ourselves together, and we live in California. We plan on starting off at campsites close to home, and expanding from there. We will always be taking a vehicle to go camping, as we have a 1.5 year old that will be camping with us. Any thoughts or suggestions?
We were thinking about renting the rest of our gear to see if we like it before buying, but purchasing our own sleeping bags seems to be the best bet.

outoftune

quality posts: 3 Private Messages outoftune

Is this bag far better than the plethora of bags(coleman) listed at amazon in the 40-50 dollar range?
Novice camper here.

awschroader

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awschroader

My concern was the length, which seems great. I'm very tall (6'5"), so a lot of sleeping bags leave me literally out in the cold, and/or with my arms locked to my sides. This one would keep me plenty warm, and give me shoulder room, unless the measurement is done like jackets (which I dont think it is): It measures 90" long and 40" wide with a weight of 7.7 lbs, according to amazon.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1063 Private Messages whatsamattaU
brian1269 wrote:Looks like Woot dump some more Chinese crap. Can't find any reviews of this by any outdoor sites or even on youtube. Went to the manufacturers site (www.grizzlystuff.com) and it's about as cheesy as it gets. Clicked on the Reviews section and it says "why you should trust & choose grizzly brand" at the top and the rest is a totally blank page.
The only thing this bag has going for it is that it's cheap. I'm sure it would be great for kids camping out in the living room.

I noted the same regarding a not so good web site: the contact info might be worth a try to call/email before buying:
http://www.grizzlystuff.com/grizzlystuff.com/contact_us.html

The only other place selling is $65.49 that I could find (other than the above) vs. $49.99 tonight
http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=1291909

sacomb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sacomb

wonders whether it is 0°F or 0°C(32°F). 0°F=GREAT deal. 32°F=OKAY deal.

bryte

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bryte
trinifawk wrote:So, umm, we are looking at buying two or three of these to go camping. My wife and I have never been camping by ourselves together, and we live in California. We plan on starting off at campsites close to home, and expanding from there. We will always be taking a vehicle to go camping, as we have a 1.5 year old that will be camping with us. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Two important areas that you I got the memo to mess around with cheap stuff: Shelter and Sleeping Gear.

Great deals are out there. Last bag I got was a Marmot 15 degree down mummy bag for $60 shipped to my house.

This bag would take up a third of my car's trunk. My marmot stuff smaller than a volleyball

irwinsg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages irwinsg
sacomb wrote:wonders whether it is 0°F or 0°C(32°F). 0°F=GREAT deal. 32°F=OKAY deal.

...wonders the same. You'd think it would be in the specs if it was 0F...I'm thinking 0C

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
brian1269 wrote:Looks like Woot dump some more Chinese crap. Can't find any reviews of this by any outdoor sites or even on youtube. Went to the manufacturers site (www.grizzlystuff.com) and it's about as cheesy as it gets. Clicked on the Reviews section and it says "why you should trust & choose grizzly brand" at the top and the rest is a totally blank page.

Good gawd,why the bitterness?

terutt

quality posts: 1 Private Messages terutt
irwinsg wrote:...wonders the same. You'd think it would be in the specs if it was 0F...I'm thinking 0C

Keep in mind that bags are seldom as warm as advertised. Add at least 10-15 degrees to get a real rating in my experience.

I own a couple if grizzly bags I leave up at my ranch and they are fine. The are wide and flannel inside do that makes tem a good option assuming you don't want to have to backpack them anywhere.

Comfortable, good enough quality just probably not as warm as rated or very portable.

Superba Frango

jonathanluu2

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jonathanluu2

I'd look before you leap on a bag, even if its for 30 minutes. There are bags out there that are similar in price and come from a reputable brand.

Some things to consider:

• Mummy bags require less body heat to maintain warm temperatures within the bag. You will get cold pockets in Rectangular bags. If its not too cold outside (40's and up) this doesnt matter.

• Extra material means extra pack size. If you're driving to your camping destination (car camping)this is fine.

• Most companies with a dedicated sleeping bag line will have a warranty for a year or more. This one is 90 days. If you wont use this bag more than 5 times this doesnt matter either.

• I think people have addressed the temperature ambiguity already.

Have fun folks.

J. Fill

kiltedbear

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kiltedbear

Lots of people mentioning "mummy bags". I can't use them. I am a pretty big guy with broad hips and mummy bags cause my legs to start aching after a short time from them being pushed inward. I think a grizzly bag like this is meant for a bear like me that can't use a mummy bag and I will take comfort over weight any day.

MuddyG

quality posts: 9 Private Messages MuddyG
trinifawk wrote:So, umm, we are looking at buying two or three of these to go camping. My wife and I have never been camping by ourselves together, and we live in California.

Are you planning on camping in the winter? Most new campers usually camp in the summer. These bags might be too hot for that. I would think about that both from a comfort standpoint, as well as bulk.

Filth. Flarn. Filth.

freedomkid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages freedomkid
tswinkler wrote:Can you zip 2 together for a mega sack?

YES, YOU CAN ZIP 2 TOGETHER, JUST NEED A RIGHT AND LEFT ZIPPER

freedomkid

MuddyG wrote:Are you planning on camping in the winter? Most new campers usually camp in the summer. These bags might be too hot for that. I would think about that both from a comfort standpoint, as well as bulk.

i have one of these bags, they are awesome!!! you can use them all year, they have a zipper that zips both ways, so if you get too hot, you an unzip from the bottom and air-out the bottom of your bag, which circulates the air!!.. and it is great to always be warm when u need it!!, my wife is always cold, but i sleep warm so i just unzip from teh bottom up....

freedomkid

tswinkler wrote:Can you zip 2 together for a mega sack?

YES!! THIS WILL GIVE YOU KING SIZE COMFORT!!!

freedomkid

gusvonpooch wrote:Good gawd,why the bitterness?

I KNOW RIGHT!!!, bottom line is these are not some dome import, grizzly is a world wide brand and over 15years old... this is a one of a kind deal!!! SUPER BAGS!!!

freedomkid

kiltedbear wrote:Lots of people mentioning "mummy bags". I can't use them. I am a pretty big guy with broad hips and mummy bags cause my legs to start aching after a short time from them being pushed inward. I think a grizzly bag like this is meant for a bear like me that can't use a mummy bag and I will take comfort over weight any day.

COMFORT IS KING!!!!!

freedomkid

HEY DUDE, I WORK FOR GRIZZLY, WE ARE BUILDING A NEW WEBSITE SO GIVE IT A REST!!!

freedomkid

GRIZZLY BAGS ARE THE BEST!!!

*** you can zip 2 together if you have a left and right zipper

*** 2 layer construction

*** they come with FREE COMPRESSION SACK TOO

giolee88

quality posts: 15 Private Messages giolee88

About tapered mummy bags.

Yes...they are preferred, if you're an ultralight elitist. Yes...they make better sense from a weight and efficiency perspective. You know what...they're also friggin uncomfortable if you want to just spread your legs a little bit. I tolerate it if I'm heading out for a seriously challenging hike. But honestly, if I'm screwing around doing fun car camping type stuff w/ friends...a squared-off bag is *way* more comfortable for me. And if I wanted to snuggle up w/ someone...noooo doubt, a squared-off bag that zips together is absolutely positively what I'd be packing. Priorities!

giolee88

quality posts: 15 Private Messages giolee88

Does anyone know what the weight of the insulation is in this bag? How much "Hyperloft" is used?

bjwca

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bjwca

Holy Sasquatch! 7 1/2 feet tall!

crates

quality posts: 3 Private Messages crates

This site suggests it's 0ºF / -18ºC that the bag performs at.

In for one.

Owner of Athames.com Metaphysical Wholesalers.
(That's not advertising; it's simply a fact.)

angelofchaos99

quality posts: 3 Private Messages angelofchaos99

Freedomkid, please. You give it a rest. You have already created 6 posts of dubious quality. It is difficult to take someone seriously when he or she uses many exclamation points, all caps, blatantly contrived colloquial speech, and odd catch phrases.

freedomkid wrote:I KNOW RIGHT!!!, bottom line is these are not some dome import, grizzly is a world wide brand and over 15years old... this is a one of a kind deal!!! SUPER BAGS!!!

This is an excellent example. Besides, the specs do list this as being imported from China. (If I had to guess, I'd bet that Freedomkid is posting from the PRC.)

As for "why the bitterness" over Chinese products, the reasons are fairly simple.

1.) There is often very little quality control, meaning that the consumer must do this job his/herself. Returns can get to be expensive and time consuming.

2.) It is difficult to find products that are not manufactured in China. The lack of choice is disconcerting.

3.) Working conditions and compensation for Chinese factory workers are often terrible by US standards (and even more so by EU standards). Some people do care about where their products come from, and about those who make them.

I appreciate it if you want to inform us about the product, Freedomkid. Thank you. But it would be appreciated even more if you used clear and professional language, since you are representing the company and product in question.

phearce

quality posts: 3 Private Messages phearce

What we know

• The sleeping bag was manufactured in China.
  • grizzlystuff.com looks like it was thrown together in about 10 minutes using a template.
  • the site was an after thought (my favorite is "because it’s time for juicy, rugged, sleeping bags and gear" -- poor translation, or subtle jab at Brokeback Mountain?
  • They only have links to three products: a kid's bag; a single in canvas; a single in ripstop (four products if you count the dead link to http://www.grizzlystuff.com/grizzlystuff.com/doubles.html )
  • The kid's bag explicitly states "+35f"; the "single" ambiguously states "+25".
  • +25 Celsius = 77 Fahrenheit.
  • +25 Fahrenheit = -4 Celsius.

Speculation
  • Grizzly is an OEM, and these bags are some sort of overstock/order error that they need to dump.
  • The temperature ratings on the site appear to be in Fahrenheit, so most likely this is a -17/0 Celsius/Fahrenheit rated bag. Worst case, this is a 0/32 C/F rated bag.

Recommendations
  • Use this bag for casual/car camping down to freezing (0/32)
  • If you are back-packing more than 1 mile from the road, do yourself a favor and start investing in the right equipment. If nothing else, the rest of us don't feel like hauling your heavy stuff out of the woods if you encounter trouble. Thx.
  • I like flannel lined bags like this (in this case "Super Plush brushed cotton lining") for their versatility. Even on the hottest nights (70s) it's sometimes nice to have a blanket. On the other hand, throw on a hooded sweatshirt and this bag will give you great stories about how when you woke up the water bottle in the tent next to you was frozen!
  • Still, if you are considering camping below freezing, and you are considering using a sleeping bag you know very little about that you purchased off of woot!, you seriously need to re-evaluate your decision making skills. Really.
  • Babies and children can suffer hypothermia at practically any night-time temperature. Realistically none of us are purposefully taking them into a situation were they could roll/crawl out of a sleeping bag into a life-threatening death-sleep. Right?

Conclusion
    In for two, to replace our pair of heavily-used casual sleeping bags!
  • woot!

mrglenasmith

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mrglenasmith
    freedomkid wrote:YES, YOU CAN ZIP 2 TOGETHER, JUST NEED A RIGHT AND LEFT ZIPPER

Yes, Thank you, Mr(s) Manufacturers Rep. Except Woot is not offering right and left zippered units as a choice. If you are looking to canoodle or even just share body heat, I think you are going to have problems getting 2 of these from Woot to join up.

Glen

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 505 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

FYI: I've been told this is a 0°F rating.

phlypp

quality posts: 7 Private Messages phlypp

It was said earlier but PLEASE don't take a 0F bag to mean you can use it in 0 degree weather. Cheap bags notoriously over-rate their coldness levels, the higher quality bags are moving to a more accurate rating system. Also, if you're planning on warm spring/summer/fall camping, this bag may be too hot as it looks thick and deadweight-like. I've had some miserable camping experiences in summer with a too-warm bag (low elevations in VA). I'd plan on a 25-60 degree nightime temperature range for this bag.

Be Here Now!

jspickler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jspickler

So if I buy this is Woot going to mysteriously refund my money and not send me my sleeping bag like they did with my recent attempt at a trekking backpack...? GR! no amount of $5 coupons can make me happy about that!

On a more related note, the bag looks comfy. I wish they had included weight in the specs, but found out it is 7.7 lbs from amazon.