Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

fuse404

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fuse404

Tactical tail cap? I'm sold!

BryceKnez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BryceKnez

Had this flashlight for work. It was decently bright, and it was nice having the red light to preserve my night vision. However, not rugged at all. Don't drop this light from more than 3 feet on concrete. It broke the circuitry or internals of the light.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3465 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

ok reviews on the M&P 8

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-Powertech-Flashlight-SW1008CRRW/dp/B00497QX74

Tristan944

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Tristan944

Don't buy this. The batteries are WAY too expensive.

computermd82

quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82

I own one, it is quite bright, and the batteries are pretty cheap if you look around:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-NEW-ENERGIZER-LITHIUM-CR123A-CR123-123-DL123-123A-3V-3-Volt-BATTERY-03-2022-/130706553687?pt=US_Single_Use_Batteries&hash=item1e6eb7bb57

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

avocadovich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avocadovich
Tristan944 wrote:Don't buy this. The batteries are WAY too expensive.

Dude,
you can get a whole boatload of AAA batteries on Woot for cheap once or twice a month. Not expensive by any measure.

EZ John

scotttampa

quality posts: 5 Private Messages scotttampa
avocadovich wrote:Dude,
you can get a whole boatload of AAA batteries on Woot for cheap once or twice a month. Not expensive by any measure.

EZ John

They are talking about the lithium, not the AAA, dude... the two flashlights take different batteries...

computermd82

quality posts: 31 Private Messages computermd82

Basically, the MP4 is skinnier and brighter, but uses special lithium batteries, and doesn't have the red LED.

The MP8 is a little thicker (same weight apparently), and has the nifty red LED, but you lose out on some of the brightness, and the runtime is slightly less. The advantage is that it uses AAA batteries.

I posted a link to cheap CR123A Lithium batteries on eBay, but there are more savings to be had, like using the MP8 model with rechargable batteries, preferably bought from Woot of course

Great flashlights either way!

V'Owl Birthday of Celebrations GIVEAWAY!!!!
"And the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journeyed up the mountainside, far above the clouds. And nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Tubular Bells."

jwbery

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jwbery
Tristan944 wrote:Don't buy this. The batteries are WAY too expensive.

CR123s are only expensive if you get them at a drug store! I get the Tenergy branded ones cheap from a local hobby shop.

simonwang

quality posts: 0 Private Messages simonwang

come on woot, you're only 0.85 cents cheaper than amazon (inc. s/h)!?!?!?

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-Powertech-Flashlight-SW1008CRRW/dp/B00497QX74

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

simonwang wrote:come on woot, you're only 0.85 cents cheaper than amazon (inc. s/h)!?!?!?

Technically, a 3rd party. Also $5.95 shipping.

This is where taking advantage of the $5 all day shipping works to your advantage.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

luke975

quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

only 2 reviews on amazon. one was a two star

I always did like yardsales.

johnmckenzie

quality posts: 0 Private Messages johnmckenzie

How does this get categorized as Sport? It's Tech!

sdc100

quality posts: 503 Private Messages sdc100

I'm surprised and disappointed that neither flashlight has more than one mode (besides the red LED). Having low and high (and medium) modes save electricity. Low modes can often extend battery life 5-10x. Many flashlights also have a strobe mode to blind assailants, and an SOS mode. Both of these modes are useful for signaling, and being momentary, they can last for days. This can be crucial if you're lost in the mountains, etc and trying to get the attention of rescue aircrafts.

tdurden

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tdurden

What exactly makes a flashlight "tactical"?

It seems like a flashlight becomes "tactical" if they want to charge about 10x what a non-tactical flashlight costs.

It's sort of like attaching the word "fine" to the word "wine". All of a sudden you sell it for so much more because there are dopes out there who are suckers for such ploys.

galapogos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages galapogos
tdurden wrote:What exactly makes a flashlight "tactical"?

It seems like a flashlight becomes "tactical" if they want to charge about 10x what a non-tactical flashlight costs.

It's sort of like attaching the word "fine" to the word "wine". All of a sudden you sell it for so much more because there are dopes out there who are suckers for such ploys.

At least it's not made out of aircraft grade aluminum!

thedoc007

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thedoc007

Bring back the LED Lenser T7 light! That has two brightness modes, is rugged, and has the truly awesome fast focus system for flood or throw. And $10 cheaper.

thedoc007

Also, if you think batteries are too expensive for either light, your shopping fu needs major work. If you look around, especially if you buy in bulk, batteries are pretty darn cheap. There are rechargeable CR123s also, if you want to pay an up-front cost and never have to buy them again.

margav

quality posts: 2 Private Messages margav

Last time these were for sale on woot, I bought two MP8's for $50 each. Thought that was a good deal then, so $39.99 for an awesome flashlight is an even better deal now!

robatack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages robatack

Will the model that accepts cr123a also take one rechargeable 18650 battery? Some do.

jayeeyee

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jayeeyee

FYI, for all those battery conscious people out there. (2) CR123 battery is the same size as a 17670 or 18650 (provided if the battery barrel is large enough) rechargeable lithium-ion battery. A pair of these should cost no more than $15 bucks on eBay and would provide long term use.

This is also awesome for the environmentally conscious people out there as well! 2 birds with 1 stone.. woot!

UtilityCow

quality posts: 6 Private Messages UtilityCow

It's black.

mvsopen

quality posts: 44 Private Messages mvsopen

At the local Big Box store, you can get TWO 500 lumen CREE flashlights, which also have a zoom lens, for $24. Hint: The Big Box store sounds like "CostLess Co". True, their version lacks the red LED, but two brighter flashlights, for less money, sounds like a better deal to me.

true559

quality posts: 23 Private Messages true559

I'll buy anything with "tactical" in the name.

ratmotor

quality posts: 2 Private Messages ratmotor

"What exactly makes a flashlight "tactical"?"

The stealth with which it extracts double it's value from your wallet.

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

Is this meant to be mounted on a firearm or can it be? I need one for my rifle but dont know if this is suitable.

margav

quality posts: 2 Private Messages margav
Daystar wrote:Is this meant to be mounted on a firearm or can it be? I need one for my rifle but dont know if this is suitable.

The MP8 is weapon mountable...

briankedson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages briankedson

Check out Meritline's flashlights before you buy this...wow, what a price difference.

msgitlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msgitlin
thedoc007 wrote:Bring back the LED Lenser T7 light! That has two brightness modes, is rugged, and has the truly awesome fast focus system for flood or throw. And $10 cheaper.

I bought the T7 last time it was on Woot. I love it. Best flashlight I've owned.

ldsmom7566

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ldsmom7566
johnmckenzie wrote:How does this get categorized as Sport? It's Tech!

Camping, fishing, hunting, biking, hiking, geo-caching, cave crawling, etc, etc, etc (for when the above activities are done at night of course & with some you may need an optional mounting device/s, but your question was how a flashlight pertains to 'woot sport' rather than 'woot tech'.) Hope this helps to clear your confusion up a bit for you. ;-)

pixelpusher220

quality posts: 5 Private Messages pixelpusher220

No no, it has a 'stealth' mode too. Otherwise known as an 'off' switch ;-)

alantwc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alantwc

just got the flashlight from Costco for $27.99 for 2 with 500 Lumen.

thedoc007

alantwc wrote:just got the flashlight from Costco for $27.99 for 2 with 500 Lumen.

I just went to Costco's website and the only 500 lumen flashlight listed is 69.99 for one. Even if this is an actual item in store, I'd be leery of buying such a cheap light. The most important aspect of a light is that it should always work, I'd rather pay for one good one than have ten lights which I don't feel confident about. But to each his (or her) own.

thedoc007

msgitlin wrote:I bought the T7 last time it was on Woot. I love it. Best flashlight I've owned.

It really is! The focus wasn't a big deal to me when I bought it, but now that I have used it, I can't live without it. It really does everything...plenty of flood for walking around, but one slide and it has throw comparable to lights that are 5 times as expensive.

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 158 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

pixelpusher220 wrote:No no, it has a 'stealth' mode too. Otherwise known as an 'off' switch ;-)

"What do you mean...off switch?..

msgitlin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages msgitlin
thedoc007 wrote:It really is! The focus wasn't a big deal to me when I bought it, but now that I have used it, I can't live without it. It really does everything...plenty of flood for walking around, but one slide and it has throw comparable to lights that are 5 times as expensive.

Yeah. The slide is better than I thought it would be. Great for house use.

If I need to use it outside, just slide the lens out one-handed. If I need to check on something in my kids' room at night, I just double click and slide it back.

Wait... which flashlight is getting sold here, again?

KAZVorpal

quality posts: 3 Private Messages KAZVorpal

Hey guys in charge of writing the copy:

Cree, Incorporated is the name of an LED manufacturer. It is NOT an acronym, ergo not spelled with all caps.

It's capitalized in their logo, but that's only in the same way that Best Buy, Dell, or Lego capitalize their logos. You don't capitalize it in text when referring to Cree LEDs, just like you don't say LEGO blocks or DELL computers.

TehCaspia

quality posts: 16 Private Messages TehCaspia

It's tactical because it comes with a pain compliance front, has a back switch for thumb usage, a side clip and even comes with a holster for a duty belt...It's not just some fancy name...you're welcome.

woot changed my signature...apparently linking my old blog was "advertising"...never thought I'd see anyone give Obama a run for his money on being the nanny state...