WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Life in the Bike Lane

You know what's just too bad: all that fun stuff is way over there in that place that's not here. Isn't that such a bummer? If only there was a way to get there AND get exercise at the same time. Oh wait, there is! It's called "bikes." And, whoa, that's EXACTLY what we're selling here: bikes from Schwinn, Mongoose, and Pacific Cycles!
Schwinn/Mongoose official site



Quality Posts

  • (7:04 PM, 2/15/2013) mjregier makes his 2 cents become 4 cents...


luke975


quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975

love the drawn in helmet on the guys head. only 20 states (including the district of columbia) require the use of helmets for motorcycles, don't see the need to wear one going a fraction of the speed on a bicycle.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

valence78


quality posts: 3 Private Messages valence78
luke975 wrote:love the drawn in helmet on the guys head. only 20 states (including the district of columbia) require the use of helmets for motorcycles, don't see the need to wear one going a fraction of the speed on a bicycle.



really?

luke975


quality posts: 14 Private Messages luke975
valence78 wrote:really?



ummm yeah.

to the woot staff member that screwed up the back2skool code so I could get a lot of nice things for free - thank you.

fjp999


quality posts: 15 Private Messages fjp999
luke975 wrote:love the drawn in helmet on the guys head. only 20 states (including the district of columbia) require the use of helmets for motorcycles, don't see the need to wear one going a fraction of the speed on a bicycle.



Being hit by some id*ot red light runner going 80 mph with me flying 30 feet in the air and rolling another 30 feet and walking away alive... the paramedics saying the helmet definitely saved my life.

See, it isnt the speed of the bicycle but the speed of the id*ot in the motorized vehicle that usually causes the issue.

Every time I have slid on ice or something on my own not a big issue - since I had the common sense to go about 8 mph (being cautious). Doing the same on a motorcycle doing 20+mph is another story!

hoffmanbike


quality posts: 7 Private Messages hoffmanbike
luke975 wrote:ummm yeah.



most bike injuries are caused by bikers being hit by cars and slamming their *unprotected* head into the hood, speed rarely has anything to do with it.

15 craps and counting.

hoffmanbike


quality posts: 7 Private Messages hoffmanbike
fjp999 wrote:See, it isnt the speed of the bicycle but the speed of the id*ot in the motorized vehicle that usually causes the issue.



lol, same response, near simultaneous

15 craps and counting.

fjp999


quality posts: 15 Private Messages fjp999
hoffmanbike wrote:lol, same response, near simultaneous



hopefully you didnt have the same experience I had - but strangely "lol".

tomingulfbreeze


quality posts: 3 Private Messages tomingulfbreeze
luke975 wrote:love the drawn in helmet on the guys head. only 20 states (including the district of columbia) require the use of helmets for motorcycles, don't see the need to wear one going a fraction of the speed on a bicycle.



Have a brain? Wear a helmet.

Choose not to? Please sign the organ donor card.

Sharky35


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Sharky35

Regardless... A bike is a motorcycle you peddle.
A bike's top speed is MAybe 30mph...
My Motorcycles top speed is over 120mph.

I do not have to wear a helmet... by law on my motorcycle. I do on my bicycle.

Makes Sense?

ibbleschitz


quality posts: 1 Private Messages ibbleschitz
Sharky35 wrote:Regardless... A bike is a motorcycle you peddle.
A bike's top speed is MAybe 30mph...
My Motorcycles top speed is over 120mph.

I do not have to wear a helmet... by law on my motorcycle. I do on my bicycle.

Makes Sense?



depending on the bike I can get closer to 40MPH... and yeah cars can be really stupid on country roads....

beaglebrains


quality posts: 4 Private Messages beaglebrains

[sic] "I'll stop riding helmet-less when they pry my bike from my cold, silly, dead hands."

Whatever.

Anyone have experience with this particular bike? Am looking to get back into riding after a few years off...

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

beaglebrains wrote:[sic] "I'll stop riding helmet-less when they pry my bike from my cold, silly, dead hands."

Whatever.

Anyone have experience with this particular bike? Am looking to get back into riding after a few years off...



Which one are you asking about?



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

universalrooster


quality posts: 0 Private Messages universalrooster

What are the frame sizes of the men's bikes? Need a beater bike for around the city.

ghostofdavid


quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid

Glad to live in a state where a helmet is not required for motos or foot cycles.

I know what's best for me, even if it's lying in a pool of my own blood, bleeding out from the handlebars stuck in my chest from the car who hit me going 80.

It's my choice, not some taxing thug. lolpolitics

Suck it, Trebek.

aeneasvt


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aeneasvt
luke975 wrote:ummm yeah.




Fine with me if you don't wear a helmet. World's overpopulated. I, on the other hand, realize that I'm not bulletproof and have been hit by a car while biking. Helmets for me!

El Marko


quality posts: 7 Private Messages El Marko
ghostofdavid wrote:Glad to live in a state where a helmet is not required for motos or foot cycles.

I know what's best for me, even if it's lying in a pool of my own blood, bleeding out from the handlebars stuck in my chest from the car who hit me going 80.

It's my choice, not some taxing thug. lolpolitics



Unless you end up in a coma, your insurance runs out and that same government you loathe (forget about the roads, clean water, police, bridges and other benefits of civilization) has to start paying your medical bills. Taxes are the cost of civilization. Don't like it? Move somewhere else. Somalia is nice this time of year and zero government interference with your chosen lifestyle.

brrowla


quality posts: 0 Private Messages brrowla
ibbleschitz wrote:depending on the bike I can get closer to 40MPH... and yeah cars can be really stupid on country roads....



Ive done in excess of 60 on a bicycle. Not wise... But someone dared me and i was young.
Brain injuries suck. Too many laws suck. The motivations dont have to
be exclusive.

aeneasvt


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aeneasvt

Sooo.... am I doing the math right on this? I found some bike frame calculators, and according to them, in order to fit on a 26" frame bike, you'd need to have an inseam of 39.76 inches... in other words, these are bikes for Yao Ming. What gives?

That is, I'm average height with an inseam of 34" and I should get a bike with a 22" frame.

countryjustice


quality posts: 1 Private Messages countryjustice
aeneasvt wrote:Sooo.... am I doing the math right on this? I found some bike frame calculators, and according to them, in order to fit on a 26" frame bike, you'd need to have an inseam of 39.76 inches... in other words, these are bikes for Yao Ming. What gives?

That is, I'm average height with an inseam of 34" and I should get a bike with a 22" frame.



26" is the wheel size, not the frame height. Easy mistake to make. A 34" inseam should have no trouble standing over a 26" bike.

fjp999


quality posts: 15 Private Messages fjp999
universalrooster wrote:What are the frame sizes of the men's bikes? Need a beater bike for around the city.



Most people buy "beater" bikes that look a bit more beaten up thus the name!

You can usually find beater bikes at your local bike shop (some but not all sell used bikes), Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.

If you are in a large city that has a bicycle coalition they are usually a good source for shops that have beater bikes... there are even some non-profit bicycle shops who do great community work and sell re-conditioned bikes at great prices.

jai151


quality posts: 8 Private Messages jai151
El Marko wrote:Unless you end up in a coma, your insurance runs out and that same government you loathe (forget about the roads, clean water, police, bridges and other benefits of civilization) has to start paying your medical bills. Taxes are the cost of civilization. Don't like it? Move somewhere else. Somalia is nice this time of year and zero government interference with your chosen lifestyle.



I have no issue with the government protecting me from others. On the other hand, I do take issue with the government trying to protect me from myself. If someone wants to ride helmet less, well, to misquote D*ckens, then they should be allowed to, and thus decrease the surplus population.

aojle


quality posts: 3 Private Messages aojle

To ride a bike with no helmet is better than not riding a bike at all. Probability is strongly in your favor, same can not be said for lazy fat people. But to ride with a helmet is better than riding without.

We've no problem if you die in a bike accident, what troubles us is if you live and end up with a permanent brain injury.

However, I agree with you, government should stay out of this.

seachongo


quality posts: 1 Private Messages seachongo
ghostofdavid wrote:Glad to live in a state where a helmet is not required for motos or foot cycles.

I know what's best for me, even if it's lying in a pool of my own blood, bleeding out from the handlebars stuck in my chest from the car who hit me going 80.

It's my choice, not some taxing thug. lolpolitics



Sooo sick of people whining that the government should not tell them what to do.

If you get a brain injury from hitting your head on pavement, after falling off your bike, I will end up paying higher insurance fees to support you and and self absorbed people like you. Then, after the hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical care goes beyond your insurance coverage, I will have to support your idiocy with MY tax dollars.

I'm an ER nurse and I see this all the time. Shut the &%#$ up and wear a helmet.

Fatkaboo


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Fatkaboo
seachongo wrote:Sooo sick of people whining that the government should not tell them what to do.

If you get a brain injury from hitting your head on pavement, after falling off your bike, I will end up paying higher insurance fees to support you and and self absorbed people like you. Then, after the hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical care goes beyond your insurance coverage, I will have to support your idiocy with MY tax dollars.

I'm an ER nurse and I see this all the time. Shut the &%#$ up and wear a helmet.



I like bikes!

hanley05


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hanley05

does anyone know the size of this bike? i didn;t see nay options for it or any information on it.

aeneasvt


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aeneasvt
countryjustice wrote:26" is the wheel size, not the frame height. Easy mistake to make. A 34" inseam should have no trouble standing over a 26" bike.



Aaahhhhh it's all falling into place now! Thanks for clarifying!

Why doesn't Woot ever put frame size on their bike sales? I'd love to buy the Grid, but I just ain't gonna buy a bike (especially from a site with a no-returns policy) if they don't even tell me enough to know if it's the right size. Where's ThunderThighs on this one?

hanley05


quality posts: 0 Private Messages hanley05
aeneasvt wrote:Aaahhhhh it's all falling into place now! Thanks for clarifying!



what is the frame size then?

even if its just a M or an L we need some details

rj31358


quality posts: 0 Private Messages rj31358

This may be an obvious question, but do these bikes come unassembled?

fjp999


quality posts: 15 Private Messages fjp999
rj31358 wrote:This may be an obvious question, but do these bikes come unassembled?



Obviously unassembled enough to fit into a box.

Being a poor mechanical cyclist myself I would be nervous about getting the braking correct.

In any case, for me, I would have to bring to a local bike shop for a tune up as there are wheel tension and other things to check up on - not just the "put together parts"!

mjregier


quality posts: 1 Private Messages mjregier
Sharky35 wrote:Regardless... A bike is a motorcycle you peddle.
A bike's top speed is MAybe 30mph...
My Motorcycles top speed is over 120mph.

I do not have to wear a helmet... by law on my motorcycle. I do on my bicycle.

Makes Sense?



Yes, it makes sense. If the gov't is going to make cyclists wear helmets, they should make guys the ride motorcycles wear them as well.

However, helmets save lives. It's simple. Cars, accidents, dogs, whatever it is, when you're topping out at 60 mph on a downhill and you bite it, you'll be glad.

Also, wrecks are more prominent on bicycles than motorcycles. I mean, when you've got a 1 inch wheel diameter, the smallest crack in the road can catch your tire wrong and you can biff it. Another reason helmets are required on the open road.

On a side note, you shouldn't get this deal. These bikes are mediocre deals, however, you'll have to pay your local bike shop to assemble them and that gets pricey. Go down there, it's the beginning of the season and get one on clearance from last year. Or better yet, check out Craig's List and get one for super cheap. Then take it to your LBS (local bike shop) and have them do a tune up. Most run start of season sales so you could get it tuned for ~50$

georgia2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages georgia2

Buyer Beware! Bought two of the Mongoose bikes and both had major problems. The bikes were promptly shipped and arrived with the packaging in good condition-not crushed or broken in any way-but when we opened the packaging, the bikes had warped wheels, the gears wouldn't go into first, & the brakes weren't working properly. When contacted, Pacific Cycle didn't offer to replace the bikes, saying that we should find a bike shop to repair them. After numerous phone calls attempting to find a repair shop, we finally found one in the next county. The bill for each bike was $65. Pacific Cycle sent us a check for $60 for the wheel repair only. Said everything else wasn't warranted! Do yourself a favor & purchase your bikes locally where they are assembled & immediately ready to ride. Our bikes were pretty & shiny, but totally useless, & we're out an additional $100 - could have spent that money on better bikes!

fjp999


quality posts: 15 Private Messages fjp999
georgia2 wrote:Buyer Beware! Bought two of the Mongoose bikes and both had major problems. The bikes were promptly shipped and arrived with the packaging in good condition-not crushed or broken in any way-but when we opened the packaging, the bikes had warped wheels, the gears wouldn't go into first, & the brakes weren't working properly. When contacted, Pacific Cycle didn't offer to replace the bikes, saying that we should find a bike shop to repair them. After numerous phone calls attempting to find a repair shop, we finally found one in the next county. The bill for each bike was $65. Pacific Cycle sent us a check for $60 for the wheel repair only. Said everything else wasn't warranted! Do yourself a favor & purchase your bikes locally where they are assembled & immediately ready to ride. Our bikes were pretty & shiny, but totally useless, & we're out an additional $100 - could have spent that money on better bikes!



I would contact the BBB as well as whatever government safety organization would be involved. Might start with your basic state consumer org which will probably refer you to the proper federal group. This usually gets the corp begging you to take a check/new product whatever it takes to make you happy. They really hate having a Federal negative mark on their name at take it pretty serious!

aojle


quality posts: 3 Private Messages aojle

Or save some effort and don't connect the BBB, since that's what you already did when you contacted the seller. My understanding is the BBB is financed solely by the sellers and for their own benefit.

mganzeveld


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mganzeveld

Response on bike size from Woot customer service. Not going to help anyone though:

"The bike is a size 26 wheel, and should be comfortable for most adults."

RogerB


quality posts: 4 Private Messages RogerB
luke975 wrote:love the drawn in helmet on the guys head. only 20 states (including the district of columbia) require the use of helmets for motorcycles, don't see the need to wear one going a fraction of the speed on a bicycle.


From witnessing two events, I will always wear a helmet.
1) Me, a coworker, and his wife went to a conference in San Francisco. During our break we decided to rent bikes. They weren't going to wear a helmet, but I commented the front visor is very useful for keep the sun out of your eyes. After biking across the bridge we went along the water. We were on some sidewalk and we were watching the sailboats in the bay. Beth got distracted by the boats, and when the sidewalk met the parking lot, it had a dropoff of about 8 inches. She rode over it and fell back. The back of her head hit the pavement and the helmet split like a watermellon at a Gallagher show. She was fine. If she was not wearing that, she would be a vegetable if she had survived.
2) a van in front of me stopped to allow a car from the opposite direction make a left turn into a parking lot. A biker went up along side of us attempting to pass on the right (riding in a turn lane). His head punched the side passenger glass of the car that cut across and he flipped over the car. His leg split open but his head was fine. The window his head hit was smashed considerably.



aeneasvt


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aeneasvt
mganzeveld wrote:Response on bike size from Woot customer service. Not going to help anyone though:

"The bike is a size 26 wheel, and should be comfortable for most adults."



You said it, not helpful. Not taking a gamble on information as meager as that. Sorry Woot, you're missing some good business on this one. Next time, maybe give us the basic information about the product.

georgia2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages georgia2
fjp999 wrote:I would contact the BBB as well as whatever government safety organization would be involved. Might start with your basic state consumer org which will probably refer you to the proper federal group. This usually gets the corp begging you to take a check/new product whatever it takes to make you happy. They really hate having a Federal negative mark on their name at take it pretty serious!



Thanks for your input on my & other responses I read. I intend to do just that. After reading Pacific Cycle's/Mongoose's self-serving FAQ responses that take the position that the buyer "broke" their brand new bicycles, I am amazed. Our bicycles could not be ridden right out of the box. I also was surprised to find that what I thought of as a USA-made product was not. It or parts of it were made/assembled in China. When I was young(many years ago), Schwinn was the best you could buy. What a shame this U.S.A. company cares so little for its customers.

georgia2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages georgia2
aojle wrote:Or save some effort and don't connect the BBB, since that's what you already did when you contacted the seller. My understanding is the BBB is financed solely by the sellers and for their own benefit.



You're right, but I gotta try. I have written two letters with little company response, & this is just SO WRONG. Buy new products & it is your responsibility to make them whole??? No! Woot should take notice!

fjp999


quality posts: 15 Private Messages fjp999
georgia2 wrote:Thanks for your input on my & other responses I read. I intend to do just that. After reading Pacific Cycle's/Mongoose's self-serving FAQ responses that take the position that the buyer "broke" their brand new bicycles, I am amazed. Our bicycles could not be ridden right out of the box. I also was surprised to find that what I thought of as a USA-made product was not. It or parts of it were made/assembled in China. When I was young(many years ago), Schwinn was the best you could buy. What a shame this U.S.A. company cares so little for its customers.



You are welcome! It really is a safety issue and if no one speaks up they are endangering many others. I had a leaking espresso machine, did like you and got nowhere with the corp! Contacted the feds and WoW... that corporation really tried to kiss my *ss to make things right! The feds know that if one person complains there are many more out there with the same issue.

The BBB may not do much but it does appear on the corps BBB record corp site! The fed safety record most def gets things rolling! If you need any assistance after this item ends dont worry about messaging me here. It might take me a bit to notice a new message but...