WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Tone Thyself

How about, instead of measuring your fitness in terms of how much weight you can lose, you instead aim to break a 2x4 with your fist. Sure, it might take you a few years and a bunch of bruised knuckles, but think of the payoff

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ROGETRAY wrote:We recently started a weight-loss contest here in the office. Any key tips or words of wisdom for shedding the pounds?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

omnitravis

quality posts: 5 Private Messages omnitravis

Meth?
Starvation?
Cutting off a limb?
Do it like a poolee and wear garbage bags under your clothes to sweat it up!

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007
ThunderThighs wrote:

Sure! Girls, be ambitious. Boys, be audacious. Let's dispel my favorite exercise myth, shall we?

Women need to not be afraid of lifting and full body resistance workouts, just like men shouldn't be afraid of cardio, yoga, and Pilates. The more diverse your workout throughout the week, the more you switch things up and try stuff your body isn't used to, the more you will get out of it.

Lifting will NOT make a woman too bulky looking. It takes years and years for that. You ladies out there will not shred away the pounds to find super-huge, overly-defined muscle underneath. Your bodies just don't work that way. Sorry! You may have some definition, but it takes women a whole lot more to build mass than men.

Cardio will NOT keep a man from building muscle faster and increasing mass. Your body is not going to eat up newly-acquired muscle mass unless your diet is so bad it leaves you severely malnourished. In which case, you won't be building up any muscle mass or strength anyway.

Diet comes first. Above everything else. You won't acquire the muscle gains or fat loss you want without it. And it's not a nasty word, nor should it ever be used as a verb. Don't "diet" as a thing to do sometimes on, sometimes off. Simply eat a healthy diet all the time.

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

Swayde

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Swayde

I've lost 55 lbs in 18 months by tracking my food so that I eat within 1400-1800 calories and use a Fitbit Zip to track my activity to make sure I am burning enough calories. I walk, jog, dance, do low and moderate impact aerobics, pilates, resistance bands, dumbbells, and stability ball workouts. I try to do something every day although a few days a week all I do is walk to give my muscles recovery time from other activities. I also gave up all soda and drink only water 99% of the time.

Of course some days I go over my calorie budget, or I don't get as much exercise as I need to lose weight, but I've made very steady progress in the past 18 months with only 1 month that I weighed a little more at the end than I did at the beginning, but I'd traveled for 4 weeks in a 6 week period including a 5 day cruise and showed a 4 lbs gain. Not bad if I do say so myself.

Lucky Purchaser of 3 Random Craps...
4/1/2011
9/22/2010
8/20/2010

jcharpentier

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jcharpentier

Don't all yoga mats have 2 sides?

I've never seen a Mobius mat.

mandklewis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mandklewis

to anyone taking an atkins-esque approach, sliced fuji apples with peanut butter now taste like candy to me. i'm as excited to eat those as i use to be with a, dare i say, kit kat. i guess when you eat more bland food for a week, a little flavor is suddenly amazing. good luck everybody.

dlsspm

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dlsspm

I started using MyFitnessPal last week. Since I have tens of pounds to lose, I set an aggressive goal of 2lbs/week. It said 1200cal/day and I adjusted for higher protein & lower carbs & fat.
Just recording everything I eat and thinking about how much I have left has kept me on track.
When I record exercise, it adds the calories burned into the day's total. 20 min walk = another glass of wine!

taogreg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taogreg

I want to warn everyone about the Toning step with 2 DVDs. I purchased this and there is NO PLACE to PUT THE DVD! I don't think I am missing anything, its just not made for DVDs, or CDs for that matter. Its like getting a radio with an LP record - Crazy!

sarianna

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sarianna

Seconding using MyFitnessPal.com and a tracking device--I have a Fitbit Ultra. I'm not super compulsive about exercising. I have bad knees (rheumatoid arthritis diagnosed when I was 17) so it's pretty easy for me to get hurt exercising. I literally tracked food and how much I walked (via the Fitbit) for six months and lost 30 lbs. Nothing else. Still doing it, hoping to hit my goal of 55 lbs lost by the summer!

traquy

quality posts: 51 Private Messages traquy

I already unlocked free shipping for this round with some flip-flops for the kids, so I am in for 2 of the sports bags. These make the BEST grab-and-go bags ever. I can pack a change of clothes, snacks, etc for a day at the kids museum or aquarium or a wet bag for the swimsuits after a day at the pool. They are just super handy and easy to stuff in a side pocket of a larger bag. Well worth $5.

neriksmoen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neriksmoen

Nerd Fitness -- lots of good advice/programs for us office dwellers... I mean, who doesn't want to do a fitness plan call the "Angry Birds Workout"???
http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/workouts/

mebekili

quality posts: 12 Private Messages mebekili

If you have access to a pool, working out in the water does wonders. I have bad knees, an ankle recovering from breakage and a herniated disk in my lower back -- AND I'm over 50 and overweight.... and I can jog in place for over an hour in 5' of warm water without torquing ANY of it or causing myself pain.... so if you have access to such, it's well worth it.

sarianna wrote:Seconding using MyFitnessPal.com and a tracking device--I have a Fitbit Ultra. I'm not super compulsive about exercising. I have bad knees (rheumatoid arthritis diagnosed when I was 17) so it's pretty easy for me to get hurt exercising. I literally tracked food and how much I walked (via the Fitbit) for six months and lost 30 lbs. Nothing else. Still doing it, hoping to hit my goal of 55 lbs lost by the summer!