zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3645 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Very good reviews over at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Gamo-Rifle-Platinum-Pellets-Caliber/dp/B004WMFX22

pupyluvr

quality posts: 51 Private Messages pupyluvr

It would be funnier if it were named the Gamo Big Squirrel 1250.

"This is my rifle and these are my nuts..."

sdfreedive

quality posts: 25 Private Messages sdfreedive

Wish this was a .22.

Also will we have another knockdown drag out fight about woot and guns? Or have those that threatened it actually followed through and left?

A1cntrler

quality posts: 3 Private Messages A1cntrler
sdfreedive wrote:Wish this was a .22.

Also will we have another knockdown drag out fight about woot and guns? Or have those that threatened it actually followed through and left?

TBH I just am stopping by because I like to see people cry and complain about an Air Rifle and how it is damaging society. The last one was really entertaining, and if they all really followed through with the "I'm gonna quit yew Wewt!" than this should be quiet.

sprogel

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sprogel

I find it funny this sold first in Texas.

Also, I really don't want to hear another argument about air rifles... If you don't support them, then don't buy it and move on. It's as simple as that.

tonymontana444

quality posts: 9 Private Messages tonymontana444

Texas!

greezyg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greezyg

Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!Ohmygosh!!! Think of the children!

BB guns are fun btw.

greezyg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages greezyg
sprogel wrote:I find it funny this sold first in Texas.

God bless Texas!

Investorguy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Investorguy

I bought this a while back. The scope is garbage. Don't expect super accuracy. You can hit a large watermelon at 50 yards, but not a squirrel.

kcmtnbiker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kcmtnbiker

I bought one of these last time they were up. Have shot 500 or so rounds through it. It is very fun to shoot, very accurate out to 50 yards but does require 100 or so rounds to break in. Also, the scope that comes with it is garbage. I couldn't hit anything with the scope that came with it. After replacing it with an inexpensive spare scope I had laying around it is consistent 2" pattern at 50 yards (after break in period).

Also should note that this thing is very loud for an air rifle. With the PBA pellets, expect a report similar to a .22 rifle.

Also, in my experience, the PBA pellets that came with it are noticeably less accurate than other quality lead pellets.

In short, I am happy that I bought it even though I had to replace the scope.

SuperNinja

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SuperNinja

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 584 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Preemptive Reminder

Hey all. Just a reminder that everyone is entitled to an opinion and an opinion can't be wrong. Facts supporting an opinion might be up for debate but an opinion is not.

So please do not attack or go after another poster for their opinion. Respect each other and keep any angst pointed at the proper parties... Most likely us.

Thank you.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

dragrednos3

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dragrednos3

Looks like a pretty good air rifle for learning gun safety, plinking, shooting/target practice, cat... (er, never mind):
synthetic stock
1250 fps
$90

I just don't understand why I'm in a prohibited area.

and what's refurbished about it?

Please somebody. Get one since I can't.

beautybark

quality posts: 0 Private Messages beautybark

Whoo-Hoo! Thanks for the link! The first few reviews made me giggle.

conanthelibrarian wrote:Very good reviews over at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Gamo-Rifle-Platinum-Pellets-Caliber/dp/B004WMFX22

ME and my sparrow

beachhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beachhead

Yay woot! Don't fall victim to media hyped hysteria, and keep the good stuff coming!

havocsback

quality posts: 4 Private Messages havocsback
sdfreedive wrote:Wish this was a .22.

Gamo makes quality air rifles, but I too prefer .22 . I've got a couple of really old Benjamin .22 air rifles that I've resealed a few times over the years. They're high quality but old technology. The newer piston style are so superior in speed it's ridiculous, but I wonder if they, too, will last 50 or more years.

fireballtp

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fireballtp

Yeah, Woot, we need a decent .22 air rifle.

motsorilla

quality posts: 1 Private Messages motsorilla
ThunderThighs wrote:Preemptive Reminder

Hey all. Just a reminder that everyone is entitled to an opinion and an opinion can't be wrong.

I initially wanted to say "it is my opinion that your opinion is wrong" but was afraid the paradox might destabilize the space/time continuum.

kcmtnbiker wrote:
Also should note that this thing is very loud for an air rifle. With the PBA pellets, expect a report similar to a .22 rifle.

Thanks for the info. Was thinking about picking one up to plink in my basement (not always in the mood to leave the city for real gun time). If this is comparably loud to a .22 I'd better find something else to avoid freaking out the neighbors.

Thanks again,
-Tom

AerodexdotCom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom
motsorilla wrote:If this is comparably loud to a .22 I'd better find something else to avoid freaking out the neighbors.

Thanks again,
-Tom

Just received this same rifle from Woot 3 days ago. Yes it is as loud as a .22. Much louder than the CO2 .177 pistol I have.

A

AerodexdotCom

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AerodexdotCom

Hi "ThunderThighs"

[MOD: Pls check your PMs - envelope at the top to the right of Everything But Woot.]

A

titus666

quality posts: 0 Private Messages titus666

I have this EXACT rifle. And once you've sighted it in. Even in wind when you learn the adjustments. You can vaporize small prey at 150 yds easily!! Keep practicing. Maybe it had something to do with the fact I was a "shooter" for the U.S. Gov for 15 years?? LMAO! Have fun ya'll...

russwjohns

quality posts: 16 Private Messages russwjohns
titus666 wrote:I have this EXACT rifle. And once you've sighted it in. Even in wind when you learn the adjustments. You can vaporize small prey at 150 yds easily!!...

Really? 1 1/2 Football fields?

Arista07

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Arista07

I suppose the 'trigger warning' goes without saying?

stuntdummy24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stuntdummy24
russwjohns wrote:Really? 1 1/2 Football fields?

I used to bullseye Womp-rats back home, they're not much more than 3 meters.

stevesox

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stevesox

THANK YOU, WOOT!! Although it is "just" an air rifle, THANK YOU for not falling prey to the knee jerk political reactions to "big, bad, GUNS" like many too-easily-influenced companies out there are doing. There are indeed MANY companies being boycotted right now by millions of former customers because they have caved in to liberal whining, and I can guarantee you those companies stand to LOSE a ton of business because of it. So while an air rifle is a bit kiddish for me (if I want to go "plinking" I use a .22), still I truly appluad you for standing tall and holding your ground!!!!!

Rev.SpongeBobSP

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Rev.SpongeBobSP
Investorguy wrote:I bought this a while back. The scope is garbage. Don't expect super accuracy. You can hit a large watermelon at 50 yards, but not a squirrel.

It is all about the ammo. This rifle is pretty accurate, enough to take out gophers at 30+ yards with the right ammo.

woodstown

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woodstown

this is a decent rifle at a real nice price. I'd spend some time trying different pellets- pellet guns are notoriously finicky about which pellet they 'like' for accuracy. I'd also mount a centerpoint 3x9 scope and be happy as a clam plinking with it.

beaglebrains

quality posts: 4 Private Messages beaglebrains

Yeahhhhh, no.

Mine's big enough, thanks.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma

[MOD: removed due to quoted post being deleted]

This rifle is a great buy FOR THIS PRICE. (I'd never pay full price because well you could get a benjamin:-) Anyways replace the scope with a 3x9, never use pba pellets if you're looking for accuracy and you'll be set for plinking or small (paper) pest removal. I also don't think the piston type is posted in the description....I think it's a spring piston...another reason I don't reccomend paying full price, but for $90 you can't beat it.

Also I'm not thinking you got all the words in the description right
"Like all GAMO airguns, the RECON is not a toy and young shooters should always be supervised by an adult."

This is not a recon, kinda makes me think there may be other mistakes as well? just a note to review everything. Until it's confirmed You can check at the manufacturers website they also have a few reviews as well.
http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=399

XterraGuy

quality posts: 6 Private Messages XterraGuy
kcmtnbiker wrote:Also should note that this thing is very loud for an air rifle. With the PBA pellets, expect a report similar to a .22 rifle.

Given that the PBA pellets are rated for 1250 fps, which is supersonic, yeah, you're gonna get a little sonic boom out of 'em. The standard pellets are sub-sonic and should be much quieter.

eraten

quality posts: 10 Private Messages eraten

I guess those folks who said they were going to boycott woot the last time an air rifle was sold really did boycott. This is the 3d air rifle sold since then and not a peep from them. Cool.

bryane

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bryane

The perfect t-shirt for this deal... "Red Ryder Optical Insurance T-Shirt"

martlet

quality posts: 0 Private Messages martlet

Why won't it ship to Massachusetts? It's an air rifle. You can buy them at Wally World.

treham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages treham

This is a very nice high end type air rifle for a good price. However, if you are buying this to shoot in the city limits because it is silent...think again. It is very loud at 1,000 fps and at 1,200 fps with PBA ammo it cracks like a .22 rifle.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch

Wonder why so many refurbs on this gun? No idea how many are sold each time Woot has them but it seems to show up frequently.

undrpsi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages undrpsi

I just got the "Silent Cat" .177 at Wallyworld for $148...it's basically the same as this but with a suppressor on it. The .177 regular pellets are fairly quiet, you hear "ka-wang" from the spring and the pellet hitting the target. Use PBA alloy and when they break the sound barrier it's almost as loud as a .22 cartridge. (ka-POW!)
The rifle (again, I have the Silent Cat version) is really a good deal. IDK about 150 yards but at 30-40 with the iron sights I can hit cans all day. The scope seems 'ok' but gets bad reviews everywhere. I haven't mounted mine, looking for a inexpensive air rifle scope.
If this is just the un-suppressed version of the Silent Cat then this is well worth it..but..this is NOT for kids. It's not a .22 but will EASILY go through 1/2'' plywood, 1/4'' HDPE, or a varmit. There's video on youtube of someone bringing down a small coyote with one. We were shooting water-filled Red Bull cans and this thing literally rips them open...I was very surprised but I was comparing it to a 500 fps Crossman from when I was a kid...this is "almost" moving into .22 land with the fps of 920 for regular and 1170 for PBA (Chrono'd mine)....some cheap .22's are below that.
Definetly a good buy at this price point.

rhdenny

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rhdenny
A1cntrler wrote:TBH I just am stopping by because I like to see people cry and complain about an Air Rifle and how it is damaging society. The last one was really entertaining, and if they all really followed through with the "I'm gonna quit yew Wewt!" than this should be quiet.

Me too!! After all the threats, there should not be anyone left on Woot© to complain! But, just you wait! Some will still come out of the woodwork!!

undrpsi

quality posts: 1 Private Messages undrpsi
gusvonpooch wrote:Wonder why so many refurbs on this gun? No idea how many are sold each time Woot has them but it seems to show up frequently.

These are 'cocked spring' guns and wear out the quickest compared to pnuematic (stored air) or the new "Nitro Piston" rifles. They probably get sent to factory for refurbishment more often, or they are dropping this model off the lineup, or they got a good quantity buy.

Still, good buy at this price point..

offline999

quality posts: 4 Private Messages offline999
martlet wrote:Why won't it ship to Massachusetts? It's an air rifle. You can buy them at Wally World.

I ask myself this same question every time a pellet\BB gun comes up on Woot!
I know years ago you needed an F.I.D. card to own a BB gun. Maybe that's still in effect?
I guess that's what we get for living in The CommonWealth...