WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Made In The Native Shades

Since time immemorial, humans have feared and hated The Sun. Indeed, many consider The Sun to be humankind's ultimate nemesis. So grab some Native sunglasses and protect yourself against this heavenly scourge.
Native Eyewear official site

Quality Posts

newfiepage

quality posts: 43 Private Messages newfiepage

Staff

Before you ask, yes, the rimless glasses come with the extra set of lenses. The stock photos we used did not have the second pair in them. But, all offerings except for the Lodo have the extra set.

Hasteur

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Hasteur

Hrm... anybody know if these are men's style or women's style? I kinda like the rimless ones and they'd make good choices for early morning/late afternoon walks/drives but if they're narrow or designed for women, It won't work for me

countdown

quality posts: 14 Private Messages countdown
Hasteur wrote:Hrm... anybody know if these are men's style or women's style? I kinda like the rimless ones and they'd make good choices for early morning/late afternoon walks/drives but if they're narrow or designed for women, It won't work for me

In the past when I asked this same question, they were all unisex. But these rimless glasses seem like a new model (or at least were not in the sale where I asked this question). But in general, they look unisex to me and the natives have been unisex in the past. Who cares as long as they fit I guess (and aren't hot pink).

Now on the fit, my experience has been that they are very flexible and fit both small and larger faces. I have the Lodos, which @newfiepage says are for "medium" faces, but I definitely have a large head (can't even wear baseball caps unless I've shaved my head). I find the plastic flexes in just the right way to accommodate being pulled over wider heads. It seems intentionally built into their design, but they do not flex in such a way that they feel flimsy. Feels like there is plenty more way to go before they snap. So they just gently squeeze my temples and feel fantastically secure without being restricting or uncomfortable. Much better than my old Ray-bans and I feel better skiing with them too because they stay on so well and comfortably.

Polarization works fine too, as good as the Ray-Bans I replaced. I also find the Lodos cover my periphery a lot better.

Overall, I find my Lodos to be better than the Ray-Bans I replaced. They feel sturdier, the image and colors are just as clear, and they stay on my head way better without being at all uncomfortable, they cover my periphery and block wind better too.

I know these Lodos are all sold out in this sale, but hopefully their general design principles apply across their entire product range.

nwhiatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nwhiatt

These look like a good solid pair of shades, and the price is fantastic.

Their website says:
Nano2 => Best fits a large to extra large profile

Dash SS => Best fits a small to medium profile

Dash XR => NOT LISTED

Sprint => Best fits a medium to large profile

LOBO => Best fits a medium profile

I just got lasic eye surgery 2 weeks ago, so I have no sunglasses except a cheapo pair I got 3 days after my surgery. I have been on the look out of some good high quality sunglasses. These look like they will fit the bill, so I am in for 2 pairs (Sprint and Nano2 for my large head) - that should take care of me for a while

i43508

quality posts: 1 Private Messages i43508

I have been wearing natives for years. 4 pairs right now between wife and I. You can send back just a piece of their glasses and they'll send a new pair for ten bucks or something. It seems the quality has gone down hill in the past year though. not the same as they used to be.

albertmdh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages albertmdh

I've had the Gonzos and just got a pair of the Grind. I'm not a sunglasses expert but these are certainly the nicest shades I've ever owned, beating out a pair of comparably priced Spys and Smiths by a landslide in optical quality and comfort.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang
newfiepage wrote:Before you ask, yes, the rimless glasses come with the extra set of lenses. The stock photos we used did not have the second pair in them. But, all offerings except for the Lodo have the extra set.

what is the color of the second pair of lens? same color?

gareed

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gareed
lwang wrote:what is the color of the second pair of lens? same color?

I found this on the WorlieWideWebbie for the Blue pair:

One (1) pair of Polarized Blue Reflex // Gray Base lenses; 10% VLT (visual light transmittance) Suitable for extremely bright sunlight

One (1) pair of sportsflex lens //60% VLT (Visual Light Transmittance) // Suitable for a wide range of low-light conditions, e.g. cloudy, overcast, dusk & dawn

No plan survives execution

lwang

gareed wrote:I found this on the WorlieWideWebbie for the Blue pair:

One (1) pair of Polarized Blue Reflex // Gray Base lenses; 10% VLT (visual light transmittance) Suitable for extremely bright sunlight

One (1) pair of sportsflex lens //60% VLT (Visual Light Transmittance) // Suitable for a wide range of low-light conditions, e.g. cloudy, overcast, dusk & dawn

i kind of alta-vista'd around on cyberspace and found a few references to the sportsflex. Too bad the Nano 2 comes with such Generation 3 Ponies primary lens.

Regarding the width. even though they could flex a bit, wouldn't stretching them wide make the lens part look too close to the center of one's face like a cyclops?

Pufferfishy

quality posts: 40 Private Messages Pufferfishy

Better order your favorite fast before both pairs available sell out.

You've been put on posting probation for this post

BuffBillsFan

quality posts: 8 Private Messages BuffBillsFan

I've had two pairs of Nano2 (as well as two of Nano3). I have. BIG head, and they are the best fitting sunglasses I've ever had. $40 is a great price for them.

Fair warning, though - the hinges on the Nano2 are a weak point - both sets broke when I did not protect them when they were folded. Even given the hinges, if I did not have the Nano3s, I'd get a couple of these.

KristinWeeks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages KristinWeeks

I bought my first pair of Natives, Silencers to be exact, about 6 years ago. They are, by far, the best sunglasses I've ever owned. Their warranty program has changed a little, but it's still a decent deal. You can also purchase lens sets and small parts for the frames from their site.

Hasteur wrote:Hrm... anybody know if these are men's style or women's style? I kinda like the rimless ones and they'd make good choices for early morning/late afternoon walks/drives but if they're narrow or designed for women, It won't work for me

I wear both the Silencers and Dash SS and they fit me great. Opposite of what you'd want, for reference of course.

The other Dash (XP?) is supposed to be a larger version of the SS.

lwang

BuffBillsFan wrote:I've had two pairs of Nano2 (as well as two of Nano3). I have. BIG head, and they are the best fitting sunglasses I've ever had. $40 is a great price for them.

any difference between nano2 and nano3? nano3 are $49 in bike nashbar, and they always have promos here and there.

dumptruk21

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dumptruk21

I have owned two pairs of natives over the course of ten years. super durable. the sunglasses themselves are top notch and, imho, their customer service is second to NONE. i broke the hinge on one of the arms on my previous pair, so i emailed customer service. not only did they not ask for any money, but they sent me a new arm in less than a week. i opened the padded envelope and there was also a new set of polarized replacement lenses, some stickers, and a hand written note in there with the arm. i have never received such awesome customer service from a company before, so i have no problem promoting this company. buy 'em, folks. you won't be disappointed.

curtain

quality posts: 0 Private Messages curtain

these are great glasses from a great company. I have had XRs for about the last 15 years and they always hold up and are light, comfortable and have been replace for free or a small fee multiple times for various human errors on my part.

agree with others: get these if you are in the market for sunglasses

Toynbert

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Toynbert

I found a size chart.

Also, this site has videos with some of the sunglasses for a view on a person, and how to change out lenses. http://www.gear-tv.com/b/native_eyewear/index.html?category=sunglasses&group=eyewear

rogue603

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rogue603
BuffBillsFan wrote:I've had two pairs of Nano2 (as well as two of Nano3). I have. BIG head, and they are the best fitting sunglasses I've ever had. $40 is a great price for them.

Fair warning, though - the hinges on the Nano2 are a weak point - both sets broke when I did not protect them when they were folded. Even given the hinges, if I did not have the Nano3s, I'd get a couple of these.

I have the Nano2, my wife and her whole tennis team wear the Dash SS. Greatest sunglasses on the market, at these prices you can get 3 pairs for what they sell in the stores $119+. Get on this fast while you can. I'm buying these for friends.

lwang

Toynbert wrote:I found a size chart.

Also, this site has videos with some of the sunglasses for a view on a person, and how to change out lenses. http://www.gear-tv.com/b/native_eyewear/index.html?category=sunglasses&group=eyewear

From the video, the nano looks like the sunglasses Kim J0ng i1 wears. Is that how it look in real life?

Also, REI kind of imply the Nano2 is not that big...smaller than Nano3:

http://www.rei.com/sizefinder/native.html

gravityisweak

quality posts: 27 Private Messages gravityisweak

Great polarized sunglasses that look fantastic and have a warranty. I bought natives in the previous sale and have only good things to say. Except of course that this sale has less options in styles than the last one.

rogue603

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rogue603
lwang wrote:From the video, the nano looks like the sunglasses Kim J0ng i1 wears. Is that how it look in real life?

Also, REI kind of imply the Nano2 is not that big...smaller than Nano3:

http://www.rei.com/sizefinder/native.html

I have a big head and the Nano2 is as big as they get for Native. I've tried them all on and it fits me really well.

cravit8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cravit8

Ordered the Dash XR and Nano2

I am JUST in the market for new sunglasses after continually scratching my Maui Jims and then just losing them.

The Maui Jims were a gift, I owned Oakleys before then but even so I'm done with expensive sunglasses. They seem too easy to produce to have a huge mark-up.

BuffBillsFan

quality posts: 8 Private Messages BuffBillsFan
lwang wrote:any difference between nano2 and nano3? nano3 are $49 in bike nashbar, and they always have promos here and there.

They both have similar fit. The lenses I received with the Nano3 seemed come a bit further down on the face, so they gave slightly better coverage. Besides, that, the it may be the hinges are the difference. If the hinges were not changed until the Nano3, then Nano3 is a better deal at $50.

dwijster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dwijster

I have owned my Nano2's for over 6 months now. Bought them at REI for way more than what they are selling them here on Woot and I love them. I use them primarily for running as my metal framed Revo's are are a little heavey and wobbly when doing these types of activities. Polarization is up to par with Revo on the streets. But my Revos rock on the water. But for 3x the money, they better. I recommend Natives as they are durable. Also, mine came with an additional pair of these "bright" lenses which I swap out when at the gun range as they make nice shooting goggles by making things more visible in my opinion. At these prices I will buy another pair now.

cravit8

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cravit8

Now that I have the Dash XR and Nano2 sitting next to me...
They were the only sizes left when I ordered from woot.

The Dash XR are very low profile and seem small and the fact the box has a yellow sticker on it that says "YL" I have a hunch they aren't small, but actually are a YOUTH LARGE. Something I would have liked to have known before ordering!

The Nano2 are too large for me unless I'm going for that "large" sunglass look.

So in the end I needed a size in-between. :/

I love both of them for feel, lens choices, case, cleaning cloth.