2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

five3zero

quality posts: 4 Private Messages five3zero

Great knife with a very sharp edge. Tons of belly on this knife. Well worth it for $20.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

five3zero wrote:Great knife with a very sharp edge. Tons of belly on this knife. Well worth it for $20.

Ok, I have to ask. What's the belly of a knife?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Compared to my Gerber, how will this hold it's edge?

CT

mrln

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrln
ThunderThighs wrote:Ok, I have to ask. What's the belly of a knife?

In this context, the (outward/convex) curve of the blade/cutting edge. Here, the tip to about halfway where it starts to curve in/go slightly concave.

Knife handles can have bellies too.

Term derived from, well, part of a body. The profile of the knife that bulges and looks like a belly.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

Here's a video review for those that like that sort of thing.

[MOD: Embedded the video for you.]

ThunderThighs

Staff

mrln wrote:In this context, the (outward/convex) curve of the blade/cutting edge. Here, the tip to about halfway where it starts to curve in/go slightly concave.

Knife handles can have bellies too.

Term derived from, well, part of a body. The profile of the knife that bulges and looks like a belly.

Cool. I had to go look at the pic again but I think I get it. Thanks!

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3914 Private Messages conanthelibrarian
conanthelibrarian wrote:Here's a video review for those that like that sort of thing.

[MOD: Embedded the video for you.]

sorry TT,got to brush up on my librarian skills and read up on embedding!

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

Medium closed on the left, large closed on the right.

Medium opened on the left, large opened on the right.

edit:
Woot, please try and get your hands on the x-large version of this knife

that was fun while it lasted!

handpants

quality posts: 0 Private Messages handpants
rjquillin wrote:Compared to my Gerber, how will this hold it's edge?

Depends on how old your gerber is. If it is one that has been made since being acquired by fiskars, it has some mystery steel that isn't all that great. The AUS 8 will hold up better. If it is an older Gerber it might be about the same.

wallybev

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wallybev

It's a Great knife! I have three and I got 2 more! Great blade and Very sharp!!! At 20 dollars you can't pass it up!

wallybev

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wallybev
bpr2 wrote:

Medium closed on the left, large closed on the right.

Medium opened on the left, large opened on the right.

edit:
Woot, please try and get your hands on the x-large version of this knife

The XL is 5 and half inches and its against the law to sell any thing over 4".

papakeats

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papakeats
wallybev wrote:It's a Great knife! I have three and I got 2 more! Great blade and Very sharp!!! At 20 dollars you can't pass it up!

Can anyone comment on pros and cons of smooth versus serrated edge?

mikes123

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mikes123
wallybev wrote:The XL is 5 and half inches and its against the law to sell any thing over 4".

Maybe in some locations, but not mine - we still have some civil rights here. Must be hard for you to carve the Thanksgiving turkey with a 4" knife.

jenniferdollar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jenniferdollar

I think it's illegal in some states to carry a knife with a blade longer that 4.5". You can still buy and own them.

sdgardner

quality posts: 4 Private Messages sdgardner
papakeats wrote:Can anyone comment on pros and cons of smooth versus serrated edge?

IMO the serrated edge is better for cutting things like Rope, and Cardboard (abrasive materials). When dull, the serrated edge still works. the smooth edge is much easier to resharpen, and therefore keep sharp. For fine work a smooth edge is preferable. I personally prefer a smooth edge, but that is just me. The Combo edge (Not available in this woot) is probably the best of both worlds. front part smooth, back part serrated. I will probably buy a couple of these, one in each flavor. the smaller one will raise less eyebrows, and is probably legal to carry in more places. YMMV

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
handpants wrote:Depends on how old your gerber is. If it is one that has been made since being acquired by fiskars, it has some mystery steel that isn't all that great. The AUS 8 will hold up better. If it is an older Gerber it might be about the same.

Not sure about Fiskars, but around 17~20 years.
tnx

CT

vagabondh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vagabondh
rickyharper wrote:Forum review:
bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/889021-Cold-Steel-Large-Voyager-Vaquero-amp-Tanto-First-Impression-Pictures

I guess the one I have is older than all those pictured. Mine is a tanto style combination serrated and smooth blade that is marked "Made in Japan". The handle is trimmer, without finger notches and the partial wrap at the back. I will say that it is at least 10 years old, maybe older, and I carry it daily for such rugged tasks as box opening and plastic package slicing (you know, those annoying "bubble packs" that you need a chainsaw to open!) Holding up well. I was worried about the handle since it lacks a full length bolster liner, but it has done what I've asked of it. IIRC I spent about $40 on it at a "gasp" gun show. I say go for it!

FranklinS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FranklinS

Can't ship these to New York State. Just go to Cranky Doodle Donkey's, Gander Mountain, Target, probably Dollar General to get a knuife like this.

FranklinS

In my post which reads Cranky Doodle Donkey's, I mentioned the name of a sporting goods store that is three words, first word the nickname for Richard. I'll try it again here: Cranky Doodle Donkey's.

FranklinS

This is fun. Watch this: Cranky Doodle Donkey Nixon.

FranklinS

One more: Cranky Doodle Donkey Tracy

gedwards34570

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gedwards34570

I have another model of this cold steel knife and it is fabulous. Smoky Mountain knives, which has historically had the best price on Cold Steel knives sells the large version @ $68. Super priced @ $19.99!! I'm IN!

comma

quality posts: 12 Private Messages comma
wallybev wrote:The XL is 5 and half inches and its against the law to sell any thing over 4".

No, it isn't.

dangualtieri

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dangualtieri

Asking this of current owners: Is the length of the blade EXACTLY 4 inches, or is it slightly less? In NYC, it is illegal to carry a pocket knife with a blade 4 inches or more. So if it's 3.99" long, it's legal.

I'd rather get the larger knife if possible.

cndoty

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cndoty
dangualtieri wrote:Asking this of current owners: Is the length of the blade EXACTLY 4 inches, or is it slightly less? In NYC, it is illegal to carry a pocket knife with a blade 4 inches or more. So if it's 3.99" long, it's legal.

Depending on where your Gestapo agent measures the knife from, the blade itself is between 4" and 4 1/8". Move to a free state within the Republic and you won't have that issue.

weizenale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weizenale

It is not against the law to sell anything over 4 inches you can buy it anywhere

weizenale

quality posts: 0 Private Messages weizenale
vagabondh wrote:I guess the one I have is older than all those pictured. Mine is a tanto style combination serrated and smooth blade that is marked "Made in Japan". The handle is trimmer, without finger notches and the partial wrap at the back. I will say that it is at least 10 years old, maybe older, and I carry it daily for such rugged tasks as box opening and plastic package slicing (you know, those annoying "bubble packs" that you need a chainsaw to open!) Holding up well. I was worried about the handle since it lacks a full length bolster liner, but it has done what I've asked of it. IIRC I spent about $40 on it at a "gasp" gun show. I say go for it!

the old ones were serrated only no combo blades

papakeats

quality posts: 1 Private Messages papakeats
sdgardner wrote:IMO the serrated edge is better for cutting things like Rope, and Cardboard (abrasive materials). When dull, the serrated edge still works. the smooth edge is much easier to resharpen, and therefore keep sharp. For fine work a smooth edge is preferable. I personally prefer a smooth edge, but that is just me. The Combo edge (Not available in this woot) is probably the best of both worlds. front part smooth, back part serrated. I will probably buy a couple of these, one in each flavor. the smaller one will raise less eyebrows, and is probably legal to carry in more places. YMMV

Very helpful. Thank you.

fuse404

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fuse404
dangualtieri wrote:Asking this of current owners: Is the length of the blade EXACTLY 4 inches, or is it slightly less? In NYC, it is illegal to carry a pocket knife with a blade 4 inches or more. So if it's 3.99" long, it's legal.

You should stick to 3 1/2 or 3 3/4 inch and vote for people with some common sense in your local and state govt.

A blade that's 3.99" exactly will almost certainly get you arrested (and is going to be hard to find). That small a difference won't show up with most scales (or rulers as you might call them), especially with your average fat-fingered beat cop doing the measuring.

dfunkmaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfunkmaster
FranklinS wrote:This is fun. Watch this: Cranky Doodle Donkey Nixon.

Oooh, oooh, I wanna play!!

Cranky Doodle Donkey head
Cranky Doodle Donkey breath
Cranky Doodle Donkey weed
Cranky Doodle Donkey face

:D

ThunderThighs

Staff

dfunkmaster wrote:Oooh, oooh, I wanna play!!

Cranky Doodle Donkey head
Cranky Doodle Donkey breath
Cranky Doodle Donkey weed
Cranky Doodle Donkey face

:D

Enjoy.

FORUM MODERATOR

rono8582

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rono8582

In NYC, and Long Island, West Chester downstate areas, cops will arrest/add charges/confiscate anything. It doesn't matter the size.

NY KNIFE LAWS also qualify this as "any dangerous weapon" and unless you are using something for your trade, like walking around with a chef's knife if you're a chef, is illegal. If you ever use it for anything other than cutting string to open a package you will be charged. Trust me, they DGAF what size it is if they're looking to bust you. They will.

moserk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages moserk

just got mine...disappointed that it lacks the assisted opening that was implied by the write-up. First cold steel knife that I bought. Was expecting it to have a spring assisted open like my SOG flash II, which jumps open when you start it using the thumb knob. This one can open quickly, but requires a combination of thumb and wrist action to "flip" it open. For $20, looks like a solid, well-crafted knife. Locking mechanism is sturdy, blade is very sharp. Overall craftsmanship is very good, just slightly lower than a SOG.