WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Schwinn and Mongoose, Together at Last

Were there two bike companies MORE sought-after in the late-'80s/early-'90s than Schwinn and Mongoose? Could we get a Huffy up in here?

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

What sort of things do you look for in a new bike?

I'm just hanging out, really.

wootforthestars

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootforthestars

Doe anyone know what the frame size is for this bike?

archiwiz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages archiwiz

Pink and green women's bikes? Seriously??? Are we in preschool? Can't they make black/red/dark blue women's bikes too?

tpuranen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tpuranen

What is the frame size?

Timo

thethinslice

quality posts: 0 Private Messages thethinslice
tpuranen wrote:What is the frame size?

Size 700cc
Color Black
Brand Mongoose
Model S2724
Released on 2012-06-25
Dimensions 9.50" h x
35.00" w x
55.00" l,

cjsailer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cjsailer
thethinslice wrote:Size 700cc
Color Black
Brand Mongoose
Model S2724
Released on 2012-06-25
Dimensions 9.50" h x
35.00" w x
55.00" l,

That's not the frame size, you're giving the dimensions of the bike. Generally bikes like these are sold on the small-medium-large continuum. It's really important to have this information otherwise you can end up with a really uncomfortable ride. I'm on the fence until more information is provided.

benmason

quality posts: 1 Private Messages benmason
tpuranen wrote:What is the frame size?

The frame size of the Schwinn S2724 Seneca 700cc Road Bike is 18 inches. People around 5"7-6'1 would be perfect for this bike. Also the discussion forums for all the bikes are combined so when asking for the frame size you might want to say the name of the bike, that way if a moderator or a random person knows they can give you a heads up.

Where i got the frame size information: http://www.buy.com/prod/schwinn-seneca-700c-road-bicycle/204120432.html

NewMaster

quality posts: 15 Private Messages NewMaster
inkycatz wrote:What sort of things do you look for in a new bike?

What to look for depends on how you're going to use the bike. But technical details aside, you should get a bike that fits, is comfortable, and is adjusted properly. Unfortunately, getting all three of those things from a bike bought over the internet would be almost purely chance. JMHO you're better off spending a little more and buying at a bicycle shop, where you can test ride bikes that meets your needs and budget.

akaflavor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akaflavor

The Schwinn S4014 is not a 7 speed, it's a 21 speed. Whoever writes these descriptions needs to take a closer look at the pictures.

tesla33

quality posts: 57 Private Messages tesla33

If they used the correct photo of the red Mongoose mountain bike, it also has a monoshock rear suspension, not just a front suspension fork setup.

EDIT: it does indeed have full suspension. Here is a surprisingly good review of it by Pros, considering it's a department store bike: http://reviews.mtbr.com/bike-review-mongoose-xr200

MacGarage

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MacGarage

I am looking at the Schwinn S9ZSUBS Suburban mainly just for local bike paths.

I am 6'4" and this has the Extra Large Frame option. However, I really could not find much sizing information for this bike or very many reviews.

Any experience with this bike for tall folks?

Does this ship via UPS?

gustador

quality posts: 1 Private Messages gustador

Schwinn S2892TG Women's 3-Speed 26" Fiets Touring Bike needs a correction. The title of the bike is 26", but the wheel specs are 700c which are road wheel size. So, which is correct? 26" or 700c wheel?

mike1650

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mike1650

Not getting it.....is the Schwinn S4014 Miramar 26" Men's Comfort Bike a 7 speed like described here or 21 speed like it is everywhere else on the net?

blakebritton

quality posts: 0 Private Messages blakebritton
mike1650 wrote:Not getting it.....is the Schwinn S4014 Miramar 26" Men's Comfort Bike a 7 speed like described here or 21 speed like it is everywhere else on the net?

the drivetrain is a 7 speed one... which means that the spoked wheel around the pedals is 7 speed. The total speeds available are 21, since there is the multiplier of 3 (including the rear shift wheel as well).

Bezalel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Bezalel

Using paired spokes on a high spoke count wheel is just plain stupid. You get all of the problems but none of the benifits of paired spokes.

klacour

quality posts: 17 Private Messages klacour
benmason wrote:The frame size of the Schwinn S2724 Seneca 700cc Road Bike is 18 inches. People around 5"7-6'1 would be perfect for this bike. Also the discussion forums for all the bikes are combined so when asking for the frame size you might want to say the name of the bike, that way if a moderator or a random person knows they can give you a heads up.

Where i got the frame size information: http://www.buy.com/prod/schwinn-seneca-700c-road-bicycle/204120432.html

Frame sizes for road bikes are usually stated in centimeters, and measured crank to top C-T, or top to top T-T. My Cannondale road bike is a 59cm.

Buying a road bike without a proper fitting, or knowing if the bike is correctly sized for you is foolish.

A woot minion since 2006 ...

NewMaster

Bezalel wrote:Using paired spokes on a high spoke count wheel is just plain stupid. You get all of the problems but none of the benifits of paired spokes.

Really, about the only benefit to low-spoke-count paired spoke wheels is that they look cool. Regardless, either the description or photo is wrong. The description on the Schwinn road bike says 36 spokes, but the photos shows 24.

qyzus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages qyzus

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004TJD9II/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1357455461&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

The sanctuary is cheaper with fsss @ Amazon...

"I'm just a victim of deliciousness"

Bezalel

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Bezalel
NewMaster wrote:Really, about the only benefit to low-spoke-count paired spoke wheels is that they look cool. Regardless, either the description or photo is wrong. The description on the Schwinn road bike says 36 spokes, but the photos shows 24.

Paired spokes solve a real problem with spoke tension twisting the rim on low spoke count wheels.

luckedawg

quality posts: 0 Private Messages luckedawg

What is the frame size? Small, Medium, Large, or XL? This question still has not been answered... does woot even monitor these boards?

luckedawg

luckedawg wrote:What is the frame size? Small, Medium, Large, or XL? This question still has not been answered... does woot even monitor these boards?

This is for the: Schwinn S2724 Seneca 700cc Road Bike

I need at least a 58cm... or a Size Large...

tesla33

quality posts: 57 Private Messages tesla33
luckedawg wrote:This is for the: Schwinn S2724 Seneca 700cc Road Bike

I need at least a 58cm... or a Size Large...

The review I linked calls the red Mongoose with full suspension a medium to large frame - technically large because of the long center tube, but really not a genuine large frame. IOW it's best for people from about 5' 7" to about 6' 1". If I didn't already have an electric assist bike I'd buy the red Mongoose and add either a front (for two wheel drive) or rear (for better overall traction) hub motor...

NewMaster

Bezalel wrote:Paired spokes solve a real problem with spoke tension twisting the rim on low spoke count wheels.

However, low spoke count wheels hardly solve any problems. Instead, they create problems, most especially when we're talking about the low-grade wheels that are on these kind of bikes. A traditional 32 (or better yet 36) spoke wheel will be stronger, probably lighter, more durable, and easier to repair than these faux-pro "aero" wheels.

PilotFishBob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages PilotFishBob

The Seneca appears to be the exact same bike as the Schwinn Katana. Frame, specs, paint, and even decals except for the name.

I bought the Katana in early 2011 for over $100 what this is going for - it's a decent and pretty tough commuter bike. Not a light bike for certain, but not a tank either.

Word of warning if you buy - mine shipped with no rim tape in the wheels, and I had a couple of flats before I realized I needed that. Once I installed those I had no more trouble. I also flipped the handlebar stem to make the riding position a bit more upright.

luckedawg

still no frame size for the road bike? ugh

MacGarage

quality posts: 6 Private Messages MacGarage
MacGarage wrote:I am looking at the Schwinn S9ZSUBS Suburban mainly just for local bike paths.

I am 6'4" and this has the Extra Large Frame option. However, I really could not find much sizing information for this bike or very many reviews.

Any experience with this bike for tall folks?

Does this ship via UPS?

It looks like there still has not been a sale on this bike.

I did find the specs for the Sierra 7 Comfort Bike and the Stand Over Height for the XL frame is 33.2." If that is the case for the Suburban, I would be okay...any guesses?

Also, do these ship fright or UPS. I did not have much luck with the last fright order.