zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

tallguy425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tallguy425

I'm 6'3". The pull up bar is too short.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Would love to hear from people that bought this last time. How's the pull-up bar work in the doorway? I remember a lot of discussion on this from the last sale.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ThunderThighs

Staff

tallguy425 wrote:I'm 6'3". The pull up bar is too short.

Bend your knees.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

Harvester

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Harvester

Anyone know what Iron Gym considers a standard size door?

Mine were made in 1938 and are 29" wide.

Thanks!

SilentLegend

quality posts: 4 Private Messages SilentLegend

Everytime I see these I just want the bar. I honestly don't need or want the rest, but I really want that bar...

gdseeker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gdseeker
ThunderThighs wrote:Would love to hear from people that bought this last time. How's the pull-up bar work in the doorway? I remember a lot of discussion on this from the last sale.

Got the pull-up bar (Gold's Gym Brand, but basically the same thing) on its own from WalMart just last week. My mom has one which she uses for a yoga sling, and I've found them both to be quite solid in the doorway.

One important thing...it does require that your doorway have molding around it, as the rectangular plastic bar hangs from the top molding on one side of the door while the ends of the round bar (the outer foam part) rests lower on the opposite side of the door frame.

cornellbigred

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cornellbigred
ThunderThighs wrote:Would love to hear from people that bought this last time. How's the pull-up bar work in the doorway? I remember a lot of discussion on this from the last sale.

I've had the pull-up bar for years. It works great, easy to take off for dips and push-ups, easy to put back on securely.

nucleartwig

quality posts: 2 Private Messages nucleartwig

I bought it the last time. I'm liking the pull up bar a lot. Easy to assemble and feels sturdy. I'm not too worried about it damaging my door frames since I only weigh a buck thirty but I can see other people worrying about that. There isn't that much cushion where it braces against the wall and frame. Also like using it for dips though I have to elevate myself. The push up grips are fine though I still prefer my big bulky perfect push up for the bigger handle. These however take up a lot less space than my perfect push ups so those are going back in storage. Haven't used the ab straps yet, and won't touch the ropeless jump rope again. I tried and it just felt weird with no audio feedback. Awkward to get into rhythm. Plus it just looks silly =P.

edit: ok, post came out weird, going into edit, it is fine, back into preview and it's all jacked up

mavadofox

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mavadofox

I bought this the last time it was on sale and I have been using the pull up bar like crazy. It's a nice workout and very easy to assemble once you figure it out. Mine came without a guide.

The push up cup things are kinda worthless. I find no benefit from doing those. I in fact use the push up bar on the floor as grips as to avoid any pain in the wrists from doing push ups.

The jump rope thing is just silly from what I've found. It does not accurately count the jumps by any means.

Overall, I honestly bought this only for the pull up bar, and that is the only part worth buying. $20 is a great price for that piece, everything else is just extra.

gdseeker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages gdseeker
SilentLegend wrote:Everytime I see these I just want the bar. I honestly don't need or want the rest, but I really want that bar...

The one I got from Walmart was $18.97, just for the bar. At $19.99 for the whole thing, it's a good deal, IMO. At a minimum, the ab straps are useful if you want to do lower body exercises in addition to pull-ups.

cornellbigred

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cornellbigred

bought the bar for p90x, never did the p90x but the bar was great for normal workouts

aojle

quality posts: 3 Private Messages aojle

I didn't realize all doors aren't created equal till I got this. Mine, at 7" thick including molding, are too thick.

ocop

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ocop

Bought this bar years ago separately from Amazon and it's worked great... never broken anything, however it has left some black marks (washable) when used on the same door frame for a year+.

Also, after consistent use for a few years all of the grips started to split so I re-upped during the woot off a few weeks ago. The "ropeless jump rope" seems (and after a lone use is) pretty ridiculous but you probably aren't buying for that. Push-up holds are novel.

spikedknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages spikedknight

Hmm, I'm still waiting for mine from the pre Christmas purchase, glad some of my fellow wooters have been able to use theirs though. Non trackable shipping, yay woot.
But I too bought it for the pull up bar only, of course I will try the extras just to see.

profile V 2.0

ThunderThighs

Staff

spikedknight wrote:Hmm, I'm still waiting for mine from the pre Christmas purchase, glad some of my fellow wooters have been able to use theirs though. Non trackable shipping, yay woot.
But I too bought it for the pull up bar only, of course I will try the extras just to see.

Tracking shows it delivered yesterday (1/3) but that could be to your Post Office. Give it until Monday. If you don't see it by then, email support@woot.com for assistance. Please include your woot username and order number for faster service.

FORUM MODERATOR

Ellablack

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ellablack

Doesn't work on all doorways..had to return mine.

EB

Hanwei

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Hanwei

I got this set last time around. Unfortunately, I have 4.25"-wide door moldings and am not able to use the pull up bar. The molding is JUST too wide so that the bar can't get above the top lip of the molding and into place on top of the molding. Which really sucks because the bar basically the only reason I got the set.

I find the push up handles too thin which makes them hurt your hands when you actually use them to do push ups. Wider handles would have been much more comfortable/pain-free. I went back to doing push ups without them.

I imagine most people are buying the set for the pull up bar. If your door moldings are wider than 4" I would pass on this set. Otherwise you should be good to go.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927
Ellablack wrote:Doesn't work on all doorways..had to return mine.

Yup, doesn't work on every door...

------------------
I Bet on Sky

klstrader

quality posts: 2 Private Messages klstrader

I am 6'6" and weigh 210 lbs. and I have never had a single problem with the bar supporting me. It does leave black marks after prolonged use that easily wipe off. At least mine did. The ab straps you can get for it (or they may come with...?) are great too for, well, ab workouts...
The ropeless jumpropes are good if you work out indoors and don't want to destroy nearby furniture or your floors, but they are very lightweight, so you may want to add some weight, with like a duct tape or something, to the little "weights" that swing around simulating the rope. It will help mentally, or at least for us it did. And by 'us' I mean me and my wife, not my other personality.
The limited time I spent using the pushup handles wasn't bad either. They function as designed, just not my flavor. I prefer dumbells, so that from the pushup stance I can move into other exercises.
But I am definitely a fan of these doorway pullup bars. If you're on the fence, that's not a bad price for this setup.

somefo0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages somefo0

I've been using this for 3 years I think. Started out doing 10 pull ups. Now I do 28 pull ups. Not consecutive. I'd do 18 consecutive. Then rest and do the other 10 or 11. 3 sets of what I described. The end padding has come off. It's ripped. The handle sticking out is ripped. Losing padding.

My door frame is still good. Markings on the front and in the wall behind where that long rectangle bar holds against. I don't clean it because I use it every week. Very slight wood warping on door frame. Might buy this set to replace the old. I'd like to try the one with red padding. I think that was supposed to fix the wear and tear of the black padding.

getech

quality posts: 0 Private Messages getech
Harvester wrote:Anyone know what Iron Gym considers a standard size door?

Thanks!

The Iron Gym assembled is 3ft wide and my door is 30" so no problem here.

justagigilo85

quality posts: 9 Private Messages justagigilo85

Please keep in mind that the "dips" you may perform on this set are not a proper dip as you would be unable to bend your elbows deep enough to get a thorough tricep workout.

Also cannot perform wide grip pullups (either overhand or underhand). But any other pullup (shoulder width grip under/over hand, as well as neutral grip) is great on this.

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester

He really loves this device. My husband is 6'2". He does have to bend up his knees in order to do a pull up, but he doesn't care. It only takes a second to put up and I'm very surprised at how sturdy it is, and you can immediately tell that it's not going anywhere when you start your pull-ups. We have standard 2" molding around the doors and it seems to fit perfectly.

meinmaine

quality posts: 1 Private Messages meinmaine

One thing to watch out for is how thick your door moldings are, from the wall on top of the molding on the hinge side, to the front of the molding on the other side. If it's more than SIX inches, you're out of luck.

Because of the fact that one side of the gym mounts on top of the molding on one side of the door and the bar need to be below the molding on the other side, you would also have a problem if your top molding height is too great. It's about 10 inches from the bottom of the back bar to the top of the front bar and I think you'd need at least three more inches to have good clearance for your hands and to get the thing installed, so my estimate is that you also need to be sure your top molding height is comfortably under seven inches.

I have a very old house with serious moldings and out of the 16 interior doorways in my house, there was only one that wasn't WAY too thick for this. And it's a bathroom. Fortunately, you can pop this on and off easily and only have it up when you're using it.

Mishney

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Mishney

Does anyone know if the pull up bar has a weight limit? I'm 6'5" and about 260lbs. I realize I will need to bend my knees and I'm OK with that. I just don't want to break the unit or my door frame due to my weight.

nlbagley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nlbagley

I'm 6'2" and weigh 250. I'm going to try these out and let everyone know how well my doorway fares.

thebuggalo

quality posts: 1 Private Messages thebuggalo
Mishney wrote:Does anyone know if the pull up bar has a weight limit? I'm 6'5" and about 260lbs. I realize I will need to bend my knees and I'm OK with that. I just don't want to break the unit or my door frame due to my weight.

I got one for Christmas and the manual says the weight limit is 300 lbs, so you should be fine.

niddup

quality posts: 0 Private Messages niddup

I got this set from Woot just before Christmas and I like it so far. I'm not sure it's going to last a long time without needing some repairs/modifications (as others have noted about the padding falling apart after a lot of use) but it does the job. The jump rope is a little odd but it is good for warming up and getting in a little cardio and I really like that it has a timer and calorie counter on it. The chin up bar allows for 5 hand variations, overhand and underhand from a narrow and a wider grip, and then a side grip from the middle position also. I don't know if the push-up handles are really doing anything special but it is something different so I'm trying it out between regular workouts. My favorite thing is the abdominal straps for the chin up bar, you can really get a great ab workout with those.

themcnasty

quality posts: 3 Private Messages themcnasty
Harvester wrote:Anyone know what Iron Gym considers a standard size door?

Thanks!

That should be perfect. Your door opening must be at least 17-3/4" wide and no more than 35" inches wide (the bar is 37", that gives you an inch of support on each side). My door way is about 8 inches thick (1904 plaster walls) and that seems to be close to the maximum thickness; I can't imagine newer home having thick walls because it takes away from floor space and there is no reason to with drywall. Maximum trim height is probably a little over 4 inches (only the most ornate of trim would be bigger).

FYI, after 3 years, my bar broke while doing push-ups where the plastic rectangular bar bolts on. My new one is now 2 years old and in great shape. I use it every single day for pull-ups and push-ups.

fstopdigital

quality posts: 4 Private Messages fstopdigital
ocop wrote:Bought this bar years ago separately from Amazon and it's worked great... never broken anything, however it has left some black marks (washable) when used on the same door frame for a year+.

Also, after consistent use for a few years all of the grips started to split so I re-upped during the woot off a few weeks ago. The "ropeless jump rope" seems (and after a lone use is) pretty ridiculous but you probably aren't buying for that. Push-up holds are novel.

Actually I have to disagree. While silly, I like the rope less jump rope. Perfect for New York apts and actually a decent workout. Nothing works your calves and thighs like jumping rope, and it's good cardio. I like that it stops counting down the timer unless you jump. Harder to cheat.

But yeah I just bought this set for the pull up bar. Worth it. The push-up handles are dumb and hurt my hands more than the floor

gilles727

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gilles727

in for one, better not suck

• x3
  • spikedknight

quality posts: 5 Private Messages spikedknight
    ThunderThighs wrote:Tracking shows it delivered yesterday (1/3) but that could be to your Post Office. Give it until Monday. If you don't see it by then, email support@woot.com for assistance. Please include your woot username and order number for faster service.

Muchas Gracias!

profile V 2.0

wtjonesy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wtjonesy

Can somebody please explain how the ab straps work?

shluffinmuffin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shluffinmuffin

Bought this kit a few days ago and it arrived today. Exactly what I thought it was. Great quality. Easy to assemble. All works perfectly and can't wait to use it on the in between days to augment my cardio/weight lifting schedule. Thanks W00T!

shluffinmuffin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shluffinmuffin
    wtjonesy wrote:Can somebody please explain how the ab straps work?

You wrap the velcro over the bar and then slide your arms through and hang and lift your using your core muscles. There was a pamphlet with the straps in my box.

vincegotgame

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vincegotgame

Could you use this bar to help you with sit ups? Like attach it to the bottom of your doorway?

wtjonesy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wtjonesy
    shluffinmuffin wrote:You wrap the velcro over the bar and then slide your arms through and hang and lift your using your core muscles. There was a pamphlet with the straps in my box.

Thanks! I will ab-solutely have to try it

scottman54

quality posts: 35 Private Messages scottman54

I saw a few iron gyms at ross a few weeks ago. I think the "express" was about $12, "extreme" was about $20. So counting the extra accessories here, this is a good deal. Usually the straps alone will cost you ~$6 to have them ship it to you even though it says "free straps" on most of the boxes.

ep1c

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ep1c
    wtjonesy wrote:Can somebody please explain how the ab straps work?