5%
7%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 585 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

For those checking in late this morning, we had a lot of Wooters that were gung ho for those Vibrams and we sold out around 9am. Sorry you missed the sale but you perhaps can console yourself with the GPS watch.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bmrbill

quality posts: 138 Private Messages bmrbill

I have the Timex Ironman and the problem with it is the transponder is a separate piece. The nice thing with these is it's all in the watch. My daughter has one of these and she loves it!
Great for marathon or any distance running training.
$145 re-furb over here.
Good price woot!

Decent review here.

jcrynk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jcrynk

I have this watch and love it. It gives me all of the information I could ever want. It's not terribly user friendly and has a lot of menus to go through, but it still works great.

paulbart

quality posts: 1 Private Messages paulbart

$129.99 new at Amazon.com. The reviews are mixed, with an average of 3.5 stars.

El Marko

quality posts: 7 Private Messages El Marko

Anybody who has used it, can you tell if there's a problem with NOT using the separate heart rate attachment?

I've got a HR monitor that I rarely use and don't really need this feature. Just curious if you have to strap everything on to make the watch do what it's supposed to do.

Nice price!

clouston

quality posts: 0 Private Messages clouston
El Marko wrote:Anybody who has used it, can you tell if there's a problem with NOT using the separate heart rate attachment?

I've got a HR monitor that I rarely use and don't really need this feature. Just curious if you have to strap everything on to make the watch do what it's supposed to do.

Nice price!

No, you can use the GPS features without the HRM.

Beware the bezel. A lot of people don't like it.

tphili17

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tphili17

I have an older Forerunner model and it takes a few minutes to "warm up" the GPS location. How does this model compare in signal aquisition?

chupacabra

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chupacabra

Does this have a pedometer? I'm trying to monitor my distance during a soccer game and not sure if GPS will work. How does it know pace rate?

Hmm see it has 'footpod' would have to put it somewhere other than laces. Has anyone tried this for soccer?

Jomosan

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Jomosan

I have this model and I was so excited to get it until I started using it regularly.

The 405 was marketed as the flagship watch, and an upgrade from the 305 (which I could have purchased instead...), but in reality, it is far from that.

This watch was the worst one that Garmin has released for a number of reasons. Here is a link to Garmin's forum: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?19-Forerunner-405 (note all of the bugs and issues).

-The software is clunky.
-The GPS is nowhere near as good as other models, I have no idea how this is possible, but it is.
-The control bezel is practically unusable once your fingers are wet, which is common when you're sweating, or running in the rain.
-The battery fades ultra quick, down to the point where it may not even last through a run, and it's not replaceable.
-It tries too hard to be a watch you can always wear. What I mean is that Garmin designed it to not look like a big clunky runner's GPS watch, but what they've done is made the screen too small for runners to see whilst running. You'll notice practically all of their other watches are larger..... and despite it's "smaller" size, it's still not a nice 'fashion' watch.

All in all, this watch pales in comparison to it's predecessors and successors.

Here's a link to an extremely polite and fair review of the watch done by a triathlete, and he points out a few of the shortcomings without being anywhere near as angry as I am: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2008/10/garmin-forerunner-405-in-depth-review.html

You'll note that in his conclusion, he summarizes why this watch doesn't get worn.

imabasser

quality posts: 0 Private Messages imabasser

I've owned this watch for a couple of years now. I have trained and run two half-marathons with this watch. Below are my comments

*Though the bezel is a little touchy when your hands are wet, that was something that didn't (doesn't) concern me. I have the watch set up to show what I want on the screens and have it cycle through the screens every 10 seconds or so. This allows me to see all my information (current pace, lap distance, total distance, heart rate, plus more) during my runs. Since I have it set up with all the information cycling, I lock the bezel before running (which still allow for the use of the side buttons) so I don't have to worry about accidentally bumping the bezel.

*The software is outdated, but it isn't useless. It automatically uploads (wirelessly) all my watch information when I get home from a run on my computer and displays the current run information in the Garmin software (altitude, pace, etc...). It even allows you to plot your route on Google Earth which I thought was useful for routing future runs. In the software you can also program workouts that auto-update the laps at a certain distance/time (which can be done on the watch, though more cumbersome).

*I haven't had any problems with the accuracy of the GPS sensor. When I have run my half-marathons I have based my pace off the watch and it has turned out to be highly accurate (7:47 pace). There have been two occurrences that the GPS stated I was running at a faster pace for the first mile, but got back on track with my pace for the rest of the run that day. These two occurrences by no means would make me ditch the watch for something else.

Hopefully this review helps with anyone's questions.

imabasser

tphili17 wrote:I have an older Forerunner model and it takes a few minutes to "warm up" the GPS location. How does this model compare in signal aquisition?

The watch normally takes less than a minute to collect a signal from the required satellites (normally less than 30 seconds). That being said there have been some occasions that is has taken a 1-2 minutes (but that is rare).

imabasser

chupacabra wrote:Does this have a pedometer? I'm trying to monitor my distance during a soccer game and not sure if GPS will work. How does it know pace rate?

Hmm see it has 'footpod' would have to put it somewhere other than laces. Has anyone tried this for soccer?

I haven't used the footpod but from my understand on size, I don't think it would be the most comfortable to use while playing soccer. If you are looking for physical stats while playing soccer, have you looked into the MiCoach by Adidas? I've heard good things from that.

hopkindm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hopkindm
chupacabra wrote:Does this have a pedometer? I'm trying to monitor my distance during a soccer game and not sure if GPS will work. How does it know pace rate?

This page has a nice summary of the foot pod. I don't think that a foot pod during soccer is going to help you. A foot pod would like to have a consistent stride, plus you probably don't like gadgets tied to your feet in a sport where you are hitting a ball with your feet.

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Footpod

You could use the GPS on this watch during soccer, but all of the cuts that you make, will also screw up the totals. Little errors will add up over time.

WilfBrim

quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim
imabasser wrote:The watch normally takes less than a minute to collect a signal from the required satellites (normally less than 30 seconds). That being said there have been some occasions that is has taken a 1-2 minutes (but that is rare).

I have a bunch of Garmins (of varying types) and the time that they take to "lock on" to a GPS signal depends heavily upon how long it has been since last used, and if it has been moved since it was turned off. When I use my 610 frequently it connects fast (within a minute), as it know where to "look" for the satellites. I expect this will be the same.

BTW, if you are just looking for a nice heart rate monitor, this isn't a bad buy. A decent Polar runs more than this, so if you want just a HRM to use in the gym (get the footpod, too) this may not be a bad deal.

klacour

quality posts: 17 Private Messages klacour

I have the 305, with the same footpod. The pod is only used during indoor use, when you cannot get a GPS signal, or you are running on a treadmill. It translates the length of stride with the number of steps to calculate indoor/treadmill mileage. The feature is great to track your indoor workouts.

You can use the watch outdoors during a soccer match. You do NOT need and should NOT use the foot pod outdoors.

My son did put my 305 on during a high school match, running a couple miles during a 90 minute match. Remember, GPSs are usually only accurate to 10-15 feet, so you won't get an exact mileage, but it will, over the long haul, give you a very near calculation. using it in conjunction with the HRM gives you great training information.

The bezel function frustrates some people, reading the Amazon reviews, but that many and more love the watch and figured out the bezel functions.

A woot minion since 2006 ...