12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lichme

quality posts: 2772 Private Messages lichme

twiswall

quality posts: 4 Private Messages twiswall

So Kershaws are ok, the CRKT's on here are usually really nice and I had high hopes for the Cold Steel knives. Unfortunately this Voyager is the only model that has come along in months and all in all I am not a fan. The lock requires two hands to close, the blade is curvy and funky (much more than can be seen in the pic) and the handle feels cheap. Bring on some different Cold Steels styles or bring on more CRKT's...

johnnewbrough

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johnnewbrough

AUS 8 is a decent blade steel. Known for its all around properties, it has good edge retention but isn't a pain in the arse to sharpen.

If interested, here is a description of most blade steels from Benchmade:

http://www.benchmade.com/products/materials.aspx

Woot-offs ruin my life.

bpr2

quality posts: 181 Private Messages bpr2

My "little" collection of the knives for sale.

Size comparison of the two models.

side note: when I got my set off of woot, the large was $27 or $28. Consider yourselves lucky!

that was fun while it lasted!

baldar798

quality posts: 1 Private Messages baldar798

I purchased the large the 1st time it showed up on woot. It is rather nicely made for its price. The grip is good, feels great in my hand, and has a razor sharp edge. 2 things that I should state are, I own 3 cold steel knives and everyone of them I have had to bend the clip so I could get it on my pocket; and the pictures do not do the blade justice because it doesn't show how much of a curve it really has... Also I read a lot about how much of an issue it is to close these locks single handed but I never have an issue with my dominant hand... And why does it even matter if it takes 2 hands to close??? It just means to me it had a very secure lock and I would rather it be secure than shut close on my fingers accidentally...

All in all I find this to be an amazing knife and the finish on the blade is beautiful enough to almost not want to mess up... However I do wish woot would hurry up and get us some more variety of cold steel or even spyderco (if you do that odds are I will become broke very fast since I love collecting knives)

taxwizard

quality posts: 8 Private Messages taxwizard

Everyone loved all of them I bought for stocking-stuffers on Christmas !

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah
lichme wrote:Previously Sold On 12/11/2012 for $24.99 (Woot-Off)
Previously Sold On 12/3/2012 for $24.99

I think you got your prices wrong. It went up to ~$29 for the large during the second sale.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

slazenger

quality posts: 1 Private Messages slazenger

Comes razor sharp and maintains a great edge. It's thick...so if you are planning to use this in an everyday carry role as a tactical blade...be sure you're willing to carry the weight and bulk. That being said, I'm a normal sized (6', 195lb) guy and I carry this every day - along with a Leatherman Skeletool CX. It's a lot of knife for the price, is well-made, has a sturdy lockup, and the nogales blade shape is suitable for almost all cutting tasks.

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman
twiswall wrote:So Kershaws are ok, the CRKT's on here are usually really nice and I had high hopes for the Cold Steel knives. Unfortunately this Voyager is the only model that has come along in months and all in all I am not a fan. The lock requires two hands to close, the blade is curvy and funky (much more than can be seen in the pic) and the handle feels cheap. Bring on some different Cold Steels styles or bring on more CRKT's...

I can't fit both of my hands on the lock. Fortunately one hand (actually, one thumb) seems adequate for the task. I don't think my daughter could do the same thing, but she doesn't use this knife.

sinbot

quality posts: 1 Private Messages sinbot

This is a pretty great knife, especially for this price. I have the straight edge (well wavy not serrated). It's become my goto knife when I'm doing archaeological fieldwork and/or camping. It cuts cord and rope easily, clears light brush and would probably work well with heavier brush, tarps, sheeting, roots, etc.

My first impression was that the scales seemed really really light but it can take an impact and gets comfortable really quickly.

phpeters87

quality posts: 8 Private Messages phpeters87

I prefer the CRKT in both price and quality.

Wait for those to come back up on Woot.

rejiii

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rejiii

$46 on Amazon, too bad I don't need another knife.

oneall

quality posts: 0 Private Messages oneall
twiswall wrote:So Kershaws are ok, the CRKT's on here are usually really nice and I had high hopes for the Cold Steel knives. Unfortunately this Voyager is the only model that has come along in months and all in all I am not a fan. The lock requires two hands to close, the blade is curvy and funky (much more than can be seen in the pic) and the handle feels cheap. Bring on some different Cold Steels styles or bring on more CRKT's...

The lock on the CS Voyager does not require 2 hands to close. Just hold the knife level and depress the back lock button and the blade will gravity drop (ie, fall on its own), then just flip it around and close it all with one hand. Easy.

twiswall

quality posts: 4 Private Messages twiswall
mdnorman wrote:I can't fit both of my hands on the lock. Fortunately one hand (actually, one thumb) seems adequate for the task. I don't think my daughter could do the same thing, but she doesn't use this knife.

Its POSSIBLE that after some use the lock would break in enough to be used one handed...but certainly not safely when it arrived new. Since its not a favorite knife of mine I rarely use it so I can't comment on how it works after break in.

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
bpr2 wrote:

My "little" collection of the knives for sale.

Size comparison of the two models.

side note: when I got my set off of woot, the large was $27 or $28. Consider yourselves lucky!

Shameful begging on the other page!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bolligra wrote:Shameful begging on the other page!

Wasn't it though?

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bolligra

quality posts: 33 Private Messages bolligra
ThunderThighs wrote:Wasn't it though?

Even worse, it worked!

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

kcmtnbiker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kcmtnbiker

I bought two of these last time they were up for my two sons. Out of the box the lock was incredibly stiff. I had trouble unlocking with one hand and my sons had trouble with two hands. I took a pair of pliers and really mashed down on the lock release a few times and now they are smooth as butter. (I wrapped a towel around the handle & lock to keep from marring it with the pliers)

ckeilah

phpeters87 wrote:I prefer the CRKT in both price and quality.

Wait for those to come back up on Woot.

Why wait? http://www.woot.com/offers/crkt-pazoda-folding-knife-7 ;-)

ckeilah

oneall wrote:The lock on the CS Voyager does not require 2 hands to close. Just hold the knife level and depress the back lock button and the blade will gravity drop (ie, fall on its own), then just flip it around and close it all with one hand. Easy.

Just keep your index finger in the notch, and the ricasso will protect your hand from being chopped. This way you can feel secure in the closing, and even add some flip to get the blade down. Once half closed, move your fingers and close it up. Yes, easy. Even easier if you clean and properly lube your knife. :-)

This is not exactly how I do it, but it's good enough as an example of one-handed open & close of a Cold Steel folding knife:

ckeilah

baldar798 wrote:...The grip is good, feels great in my hand, and has a razor sharp edge....

I would agree with "shaving sharp", but to nitpick terms, not "razor sharp". ;-)

If you can strop that curvy thing, you could probably polish it out to "razor sharp", but the extreme curve of the blade edge presents a challenge. Has anyone managed to successfully strop one yet?

tigger2000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tigger2000

This a great knife do no be put off by negative comments. AUS 8 is good steel, the handle is Kydex, an almost in destructible material, and the knife will deploy in a nano second and is completely one handed operational. It comes out of the box razor sharp and stays that way for a long time, and is easily sharpened once it starts to dull. They are practically giving this knife away, I'm not sure what else you could possibly want for $25.00. Maybe free shipping but that might be pushing it.

ckeilah

Let's stop calling this "razor sharp". It's solidly "shaving sharp". Razor sharp would POP the hairs off.

It's a good knife, out of the box. I question how good it will be down the road, but yeah, for $25+s/h+tax it'll probably earn its keep. :-)

mdnorman

quality posts: 50 Private Messages mdnorman

I already have the large "straight" edge and the medium serrated edge. Thinkin' about gettin' the large serrated edge, but there is no rational reason why I should do so. What is it about grown men and sharp things?

maxxdout

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maxxdout

Just got mine today and man is this thing beastly. The lock is robust as heck and the blade is just flawless. I've been edc'ing my CRKT triumph I wooted a while back and when comparing the two, the voyager is slightly larger but it's ultra "wideness" gives it a more robust and hugeness feeling. I'm satisfied.