WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Two-Wheeled Transportation

You think cars are too wasteful but unicycles are too silly. You need something in between, something simple, something fun, and something that runs clean. How about a horse? Or wait, we're not selling horses. Rewind: how about a bike?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

InkyCatz wrote:How do the eZips compare to the Razors we've had up recently?

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

Ubie

quality posts: 17 Private Messages Ubie

tesla33

quality posts: 57 Private Messages tesla33

Link to previous EZIP Trailz discussions:

http://sport.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5288664

GameFederer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages GameFederer

I'd be very interested in an electric scooter this cheap. Both of my part-time jobs are commutes less than 5 miles. So this would be perfect.

tesla33

quality posts: 57 Private Messages tesla33
GameFederer wrote:I'd be very interested in an electric scooter this cheap. Both of my part-time jobs are commutes less than 5 miles. So this would be perfect.

Just make sure that your state laws allow them on streets or sidewalks.

GameFederer

tesla33 wrote:Just make sure that your state laws allow them on streets or sidewalks.

I'm sure my city allows it. I see all the art students downtown driving them. But I think theirs are 49cc or higher and gas. Plus, we have bike lanes here on my commute to work, so that will definitely help out.

These is a pretty low powered electric scooter, so I could probably get away with riding it on the sidewalk.

GameFederer

Also, FYI to anybody else interested in the e750 scooter, it's cheapest I found on amazon is $434.00-$499.99

So it's a great deal at $290.99+ $5 ship.

joeme

quality posts: 1 Private Messages joeme

Bought the 18" Diamondback Trace and so far it's great. Definitely worth this price. You"ll need to do the basic adjustments but it comes mostly assembled.

WhoKnowsWho

quality posts: 0 Private Messages WhoKnowsWho
joeme wrote:Bought the 18" Diamondback Trace and so far it's great. Definitely worth this price. You"ll need to do the basic adjustments but it comes mostly assembled.

I've never ridden a bike and was thinking of staying away from the department store stuff. Would this be an okay starter bike?

fjp999

quality posts: 14 Private Messages fjp999
WhoKnowsWho wrote:I've never ridden a bike and was thinking of staying away from the department store stuff. Would this be an okay starter bike?

These DiamondBacks look ok but then again one has to be pretty confident in putting together a bike and adjusting it... then readjusting it about every 3 months depending on how you ride it.

If there is a Performance Bike shop near you - they are having a huge clearance sale right now and just doing a quick look found this:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10054_10551_1115321_-1_400317__400317

2012 GT Zum City Bike.

It has 4.5 star ratings $299 and if you talk with your local shop wont have to pay for shipping. They might even have your size in stock. You will get a year or more free tuning (forget - might be lifetime tune ups).

Just throwing this out there for those looking for an alternative.

aaltieri

quality posts: 22 Private Messages aaltieri
WhoKnowsWho wrote:I've never ridden a bike and was thinking of staying away from the department store stuff. Would this be an okay starter bike?

DB's aren't a bad bike. I haven't ridden one in years, so I can't comment on their recent quality.

I used to ride GT's Timberline and a Tequesta (best paint job EVER from a stock bike). They were great until Schwinn ruined them.

My daughter digs on Specialized.

I have three Treks. Trek is made in Wisconsin, and, as a Packer's fan and former WI resident, I'm legally obligated to recommend them. ;-)

Regardless of what you ride, I'd offer this advice:

Avoid Schwinn, or any of the brands they've ruined and turned into K-mart Krap.

Visit a couple bike shops and take some test rides. These guys do this stuff for a living and can help you find the right size and style for you. Personally, I avoid the chains and hit the mom-and-pops. They are friendlier and much more in tune with their riders.

Ignore terms like "groupo" and what the frame is made of. Yes, you can get lighter frames. But, honestly, they will cost you. And for the money, sometimes, it's just cheaper to lose the five pounds yourself. ;-)

Think about what kind of riding will you be doing? Will you want baskets on the back or front for groceries or riding to work? If so, will this bike take them easily? Are you just going to bop down the street for some exercise and relaxation? Then maybe a 29" is better for you. Especially in a city. Are you going to DRIVE the bike somewhere to ride it (maybe to a state park or somewhere)? Will it fit in your car? Do you need a bike rack? How much more does that expense add? And yes, a good rack is absolutely worth every penny!

Yes, this caliber of bike is a little more expensive. But with SIMPLE maintenance every year, they will last for a decade at least. And, again, having that relationship with a good shop will pay off here twenty fold.

At the end of the day, if you aren't familiar with bikes and the rough geometry and frame styles involved, I wouldn't buy one of these. Visit a shop first, find some bikes you like, and either buy there or look for those online. You'll be happy you did, and you'll learn a ton along the way!

cleverett

quality posts: 29 Private Messages cleverett
aaltieri wrote:I used to ride GT's Timberline and a Tequesta (best paint job EVER from a stock bike). They were great until Schwinn ruined them.

aaltieri wrote:Avoid Schwinn, or any of the brands they've ruined and turned into K-mart Krap.

Don't hold back...tell us how you really feel about Schwinn.

Your hatred is somewhat misplaced, however. Schwinn went out of business in 1992. Schwinn didn't ruin GT Bicycles; the company that bought the Schwinn name, Pacific Cycle, also bought the name of the defunct GT Bicycle and then proceeded to ruin them both. The company that came in second in the bidding for the Schwinn/GT names was Huffy, so I'm sure that outcome wouldn't have been any better.

So, yes, anything you can buy new now with the Schwinn or GT name is crap. If you're looking for a good used bike, however, there are some great older Schwinns & GTs out there.

The original Schwinn family owns Waterford Precision Cycles, which are manufactured in one of the old Schwinn plants in Wisconsin. They also make the Gunnar Cycles brand, and make frames for other companies like Milwaukee Bicycle.

ufffdah

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ufffdah

I'm curious about the inside dimensions of the Yakima box. Not volume but actual dimensions.

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" -Darwin

gnissley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gnissley

This would be fine. They're not high end,but they're def not department store junk. Just make sure you get someone knowledgeable to help you assemble it,or take it to a bike shop.

gnissley

aaltieri wrote: I have three Treks. Trek is made in Wisconsin, and, as a Packer's fan and former WI resident, I'm legally obligated to recommend them. ;-)

Trek's haven't been made in USA in years;they're almost all China or Taiwan. Their high end carbon frames might still be USA,but that's it.

aaltieri wrote:Avoid Schwinn, or any of the brands they've ruined and turned into K-mart Krap.

Schwinn has two lines of bikes;the low end junk they sell at big box stores,and the real bike they sell at bike shops. Had a USA Trek Portland and a Taiwan Schwinn DBX;sold the Trek and kept the Schwinn because it was a better all-round bike.

FYI,most frames are made my Giant. Even if the bike is a C'dale,Jamis,Kona,Specialized,Fuji,etc,there's a good chance Giant made the frame. There's a good chance these DB's were made by Giant. Nowadays there really isn't any one brand that's better than the others,all the big names are about equal. C'dale a Trek are like Harley Davidson;you're paying something for the name,so if you compare them to another companies' bike of the same level,the other bikes will have a touch better spec for the price.

fjp999

gnissley wrote:This would be fine. They're not high end,but they're def not department store junk. Just make sure you get someone knowledgeable to help you assemble it,or take it to a bike shop.

That is why I put up the other site bike sale... If you have a friend to help put this together that is great but if you bring it to a shop it is going to cost you - and others have posted anywhere from $50 - $100 which would put you in the range of buying a bike from a shop (big box or mom&pop) where you will have great extended care service.

fjp999

gnissley wrote:

Trek's haven't been made in USA in years;they're almost all China or Taiwan. Their high end carbon frames might still be USA,but that's it.

It is pretty difficult to find which bikes Trek makes in the USA or other countries (including China, Taiwan and even Germany)...

Trek says they make the most bikes in the USA of any other manufacturer but I am pretty sure that I read in my manual that my nearly $1,000 road bike was made in China.

The really good thing about purchasing from the Trek shop near my house is that it really is a mom & pop shop. A young couple run it and when I had some trouble with the shifters it was replaced/upgraded - no questions asked! Most excellent service!

When I needed a winterized bike I had no second thought than to go up there and found a very affordable $300+ beast of a Trek perfect for this kind of snow packed streets.

gnissley

fjp999 wrote:It is pretty difficult to find which bikes Trek makes in the USA or other countries (including China, Taiwan and even Germany)...

If it's made in USA,it'll have that somewhere prominent on the bike. If it's imported,it will have a small decal somewhere,unless your local shop is breaking the law by removing them.

fjp999 wrote:Trek says they make the most bikes in the USA of any other manufacturer

Not much of a brag since C'dale moved everything overseas in '10. Only real American companies are the small custom builders like Waterford/Gunnar and Bike Friday.