4%
3%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

lifedoutcobra

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lifedoutcobra

Iv bought 3 the last two times this has come up on woot. Not only are they very sharp, they stay sharp through solid use. They are a good weight, and feel solid. Not too thick at all to carry around all day, and thats coming from somebody who does not like carrying things in my pockets. I already have 5 of them and for some reason i find myself wanting to buy more!

toben7l

quality posts: 4 Private Messages toben7l

of course going to the OEM is gonna give you a higher price some of the time, but this knife retails on CRKT's site for about $27. i've always had good experiences with CRKT products. definitely a good buy here

HOWEVER....upon trying, Woot's telling me it can't ship the knife to my zip code. I've had bladed items shipped to me from Woot before....the last time some Kershaw knives came up in fact. What's the deal?

alectheviking

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alectheviking

It's sharp, it's pointy, and it represents the Northwest - what more do you want?

skou

quality posts: 20 Private Messages skou

OK, these are shiny on one side, and grey on the other side?

I'd rather have an all grey one, but that's just me.

steve

jakehoey

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jakehoey

I wrote a post a few hours ago when this knife came up in the wootoff but may as well write something here too:
I bought one from here last month for the same price and I'm happy with it. It doesn't come very sharp, but very sturdy construction and easy to open/close after you get used to it. I like how the clip starts all the way up at the top so that if you have it in your pocket with the clip on the outside it's harder to tell that it's a knife right away... anyway, I'd certainly recommend it.

alectheviking

quality posts: 2 Private Messages alectheviking

The clip is placed in a way that keeps the knife from general view; nothing worse than a braggy-man-blade.

squatchy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages squatchy
skou wrote:OK, these are shiny on one side, and grey on the other side?

I'd rather have an all grey one, but that's just me.

steve

Same here, I'd rather it be all grey. It looks like it's probably so you can have a good surface for engraving.

ceagee

quality posts: 62 Private Messages ceagee
toben7l wrote:
HOWEVER....upon trying, Woot's telling me it can't ship the knife to my zip code. I've had bladed items shipped to me from Woot before....the last time some Kershaw knives came up in fact. What's the deal?

If my zips on the list and I live in the middle of nowhere. do I try to buy and see what happens. I don't get the not ship to my zip thing. what's that all about ?

toben7l

quality posts: 4 Private Messages toben7l
ceagee wrote:If my zips on the list and I live in the middle of nowhere. do I try to buy and see what happens. I don't get the not ship to my zip thing. what's that all about ?

i did a little research and it's apparently because of the length of the blade - this one's 2.65 inches. anything under 3 inches is illegal to carry in New York (state), where I am. it's probably similar for you

CaptMichaels

quality posts: 1 Private Messages CaptMichaels

I think it's two toned. Dark on one side to keep it from being so obvious and silver on the other side when you do use it. You can it show off :o)

themdg

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themdg
CaptMichaels wrote:I think it's two toned. Dark on one side to keep it from being so obvious and silver on the other side when you do use it. You can it show off :o)

If you turn this knife to the dark side, it could be a powerful ally...

Wootlists are silly.

LOhateVE

quality posts: 5 Private Messages LOhateVE

Got 2 of these last time, the straight edge needed to be grinded down a bit at the base so that it would lock in place, (no big deal if you have a grinder or some metal files) Anyways they were both very sharp, they have remained shark and are sturdy its not as shiny as it looks in the picture and the clip side is dark grey, the clip is also sturdy and all you see is the clip if you have it in your pocket. Great Knife, Great Price.

leathersmithe

quality posts: 0 Private Messages leathersmithe
themdg wrote:If you turn this knife to the dark side, it could be a powerful ally...

Ha ha ha ha!

moam88

quality posts: 1 Private Messages moam88

I buy these every time they come on. Great gifts and good quality for the price.

ceagee

toben7l wrote:i did a little research and it's apparently because of the length of the blade - this one's 2.65 inches. anything under 3 inches is illegal to carry in New York (state), where I am. it's probably similar for you

there were some longer sized folding ones earlier and they were restricted too. But cooking knives of all sizes seem to be ok. maybe it is the folding part.

does that mean my trusty swiss army knife is illegal? what about all the scouts ? are they breaking the law ?
so much for having something handy for camping.

sometimes I wish NYC would become its own state. It would solve a lot of problems, don't you think?

ok enough grumbling.
time to move on.
I have gifts to buy ! need to find some more ideas.

hohoho

thomasterrible

quality posts: 3 Private Messages thomasterrible

These are not "top of the line" CRKT knives. They lack the serviceability and features of more expensive CRKT knives. No Outburst (assisted opening), no LAWKS (double locking feature when open along with the frame lock), none of the famous designers. I would much rather have the deal that was offered a while back for their Triumph models for $45.00, I got two and still love them. That said in the realm of 8 buck knives (plus shipping) you are not likely to find anything as nice much less worthwhile at all. If it fits your needs go for it.

However you may want to check Amazons sales going on with knives right now. They recently had a sale where many brands like Kershaw and CRKT were $10 off purchases of $50 or more. Many of those same knives have dropped in price since that sale is now over, many under $20 that are pretty nice and if purchased over $25 qualify for free "super saver" shipping. Might get a better knife or two for not too much more when all is said and done. Worth a look at least. This is what I would do and have several nice knives including CRKT's. I just picked up a My Tighe to add to the collection, much more expensive than these but I would rather spend the money for a better knife. And if I were going budget shopping I would go for one of those sub $20 Kershaws.

And yes State laws vary and do not always make sense. The blade length of folding knives has to fall within certain lengths, usually not too long but sometimes not too short.
So then Swiss Army knives would fall under that category and really would you rather get poked by a 2 inch folder or a 3 1/2 inch folder? On the other hand for example in my State there is not the same limits on length of fixed blades, it is legal to carry a sword but not a folder over 4 inches. The outburst or other "assisted open" names for manufacturers knives act very much like switchblades but are legal in most areas as they do not open by the push of a button but rather by beginning to open them with a thumb stud or flipper where a torsion bar or spring takes over, a nice loophole I think. But while cool and useful the old saying "never bring a knife to a gunfight" should be observed!

Brad47

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Brad47
toben7l wrote:i did a little research and it's apparently because of the length of the blade - this one's 2.65 inches. anything under 3 inches is illegal to carry in New York (state), where I am. it's probably similar for you

That sounds fine, I don't think you would want to carry anything under 3 inches anyway. I hear that New York can be kind of rough. :-)

squatchy

quality posts: 5 Private Messages squatchy

For $8 (I had a $5 coupon), I'm probably not going to find a better knife, especially with a lifetime warranty. In for a partially serrated one

ceagee

thomasterrible wrote:
And yes State laws vary and do not always make sense. The blade length of folding knives has to fall within certain lengths, usually not too long but sometimes not too short.
So then Swiss Army knives would fall under that category and really would you rather get poked by a 2 inch folder or a 3 1/2 inch folder? On the other hand for example in my State there is not the same limits on length of fixed blades, it is legal to carry a sword but not a folder over 4 inches. The outburst or other "assisted open" names for manufacturers knives act very much like switchblades but are legal in most areas as they do not open by the push of a button but rather by beginning to open them with a thumb stud or flipper where a torsion bar or spring takes over, a nice loophole I think. But while cool and useful the old saying "never bring a knife to a gunfight" should be observed!

Thanks for the 411.
I couldn't let it go , so I googled and found THIS
If the last 2 days of wooting didn't do my eyes completely in, that did.

ok. now. onward.

PS I thought it was a 3 day woot off ?
The main woot woot-off is still going, but
not the subcategories. I'm so confused.
At least it will give my eyes a break.
I'm still mad cause the one thing I was waiting for came up when I went to the john. *sigh* sold out right away.
bummer. same thing with the flying monkeys rugrats wanted.
and no bags of crap for stockings.
I hate when that happens.

yes yes I'm going now.

fatboy148

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fatboy148
ceagee wrote:Thanks for the 411.

What does that section of law have to do with this knife?

It is pretty amazing that every retailer I checked this morning will send this exact same knife to my residence, EXCEPT Woot. Those retailers included Amazon who is the current "owner" of Woot. Go figure!

I never had a problem purchasing pocket knives here before the changeover a few months ago. Maybe Woot should consider getting new legal council, maybe even the same that Amazon has......

hondac95

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hondac95

Already have 2 of these, like them so much that I had to get more!

rmkelley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmkelley
ceagee wrote:Thanks for the 411.

Yes, the "swicth-blade" laws... The "assisted opening" knives (like the CRKT Van Hoy On-Fire, that I also got from Woot) used an extension of the blade its self (eg: Thumb Screw) to pop out the blade.

If there is a "button" its illegal... but thumbscrews are ok? yeah... kinda dumb law.

rmkelley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rmkelley

Why do the "partially serrated" blades always sell out so fast?! I was thinking about ordering one (or three) and I refresh, and they are gone!

Woodman668

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Woodman668

Still don't get why switchblades or butterfly knives are illegal in the first place.

How often does an attacker need to open their knife quickly compared to a defender?

Anyway, I really like this knife because I can wear it to work without freaking anyone out, and it's quite stylish too.

glenasmith

quality posts: 5 Private Messages glenasmith
fatboy148 wrote:
It is pretty amazing that every retailer I checked this morning will send this exact same knife to my residence, EXCEPT Woot. Those retailers included Amazon who is the current "owner" of Woot. Go figure!

I never had a problem purchasing pocket knives here before the changeover a few months ago. Maybe Woot should consider getting new legal council, maybe even the same that Amazon has......

The only thing that I can think of is that someone got busted with one of these terribly dangerous implements of destruction somewhere in New York and threw Woot under the bus as their personal arms dealer. The Jack Booted Thugs in Black Helicopters then paid a visit to the Woot Arms Depot / Headquarters. Monkeys were threatened, lawyers got involved, plea deals were made, and Mortimers your Uncle, here we are.

[ramble]
Stupid laws like this make me ashamed to admit I was born and raised in New York State. Upstate and Central New York is beautiful country, and most everyone I knew in that area had no desire to be associated with the nut jobs in New York City.
[/ramble]

Glen
(An economic refugee from Central New York.)

rcm1301

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rcm1301

These sell for $25 at Bass Pro. I have 'collected' 14 already of these for Christmas stocking stuffers. The is a very nice knife for everyday light duty work.

CaptMichaels

themdg wrote:If you turn this knife to the dark side, it could be a powerful ally...

Awesome..lol.

bobmctooth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bobmctooth

My blade started shifting off center and rubbing against the frame, so I was going to fix it, but when I looked at the screws, I found that they're Torx screws. Just something to keep in mind if you need to do repairs or general disassembly. I'm not sure of the exact size, but they're smaller than anything I have in my house right now. Gonna take a stab and say probably T8ish.

Edit: It's T6.

CaptMichaels

Okay, okay, you convinced me with all that positive talk. I bought one when the Woot was released and another one just now. However, let's see if my wife is so positive also when she finds out.

BMOR

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BMOR

I bought a couple of these (one straight edge, one partially serrated) last time they were offered. Imo, they're OK (but just OK) for the price. They're pretty dull right out of the box, and the straight edge knife stopped locking after being opened a few times, making it a bit dangerous to use.

I see where another poster filed or ground the locker end of the blade to fix the locking problem; I might give that a try, just to salvage the knife for use in slicing the tape on Woot! boxes.

nmchapma

quality posts: 23 Private Messages nmchapma
CaptMichaels wrote:Okay, okay, you convinced me with all that positive talk. I bought one when the Woot was released and another one just now. However, let's see if my wife is so positive also when she finds out.

I wouldn't worry about her. Wives are easy to find, a good knife however, isn't so easy.

This one is worth the $8 just to find out if it fits you. I got 4 a few weeks back and I love 'em. It's a perfect simple knife to slip in my slacks while at wiork.

lichme

quality posts: 2767 Private Messages lichme

A good deal if you have free shipping unlocked

jckurk

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jckurk

I bought two of these last time they were up.

I gave one to my son and the other to his friend while we were on a Halloween camping trip.

On the way back his friend sliced open his finger while trying to open M&Ms in the backseat of my brand new Toyota Tundra.

The sight of all the blood made him throw up candy everywhere.

2300 miles later I still smell chocalate throw up and can still see the blood on the grey seats.

My Point: This knife should not be given to 8 year old kids.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 46 Private Messages PocketBrain

Got any good <2" blade folding knives? The employer doesn't care to let us carry a bigger blade.

FranklinS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FranklinS

There is no 3 inch requirement in New York State. Certain types of knives (Gravity, switchblade, spring operated, metal knuckle or cane sword)are prohibited. Any knife is illegal but only if possessed with the intent to injure. So these knives are legal in NY and I want three but can't order. I happen to be an attorney and would recommend that whoever made the decision not to ship read NYS Penal Law sections on illegal weapon possession.

FranklinS

quality posts: 2 Private Messages FranklinS

I checked the zip codes and my eye jumped to the 16340 area. The next code should read 16341 but it reads 13641 as prohibited. So,find someone in 16341 to send the knives to as that is one zip code that fell through the cracks.

joanie707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joanie707

where is this knife manufactured ??????

joanie707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joanie707
rmkelley wrote:Why do the "partially serrated" blades always sell out so fast?! I was thinking about ordering one (or three) and I refresh, and they are gone!

Me Too!!!!! Dang-ga !!

powermatt

quality posts: 8 Private Messages powermatt
PocketBrain wrote:Got any good <2" blade folding knives? The employer doesn't care to let us carry a bigger blade.

I use Leatherman's Style CS at work (1.6" blade, folds out into scissors), and I really like it. It's about $20-25. I'm thinking of getting one of these for the harder jobs I do at work, though. The Leatherman is a bit challenged when I have to cut up boxes.