WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Get Out and Enjoy the Winter Wonderland

Hey, curling up by fires and all that is fine, but at some point you're gonna want to get outside and plow through that pure, driven snow. So grab yourself a sled or a foam disc and get frolicking.

Quality Posts

• (11:11 AM, 12/11/2012) embhorn is curious about floating.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Anyone given these sleds a go? Let us know!

I'm just hanging out, really.

embhorn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages embhorn

Hmmm... Do they float? wondering if they would work as a boogie board...

najaracing

quality posts: 1 Private Messages najaracing

Just want to pass along my recommendation for sledding. Buy an old pair of snow skis, cut them down to about 4', screw each to the bottom of a 3 foot long 2x4, and attach the 2x4s with some sort of framing/decking (I used 2x2 framing and wainscoting). Add a rope to the front and dowels as handles (final product looks like an old rail sled), and you have the fastest sled you could imagine. Mine keeps going even on the slightest of declines. It's a little heavy, but works great. Much better than anything store bought.

lhbhatten

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lhbhatten

Very cool looking, but these sleds seem too small for anyone older than 8yo.

damnilocano

quality posts: 1 Private Messages damnilocano

Found something similar to this at Costco. It was a 2 person sled for $18 but currently has a $4 instant rebate. The Costco version even had a light!

smoberg

quality posts: 4 Private Messages smoberg
najaracing wrote:Just want to pass along my recommendation for sledding. Buy an old pair of snow skis, cut them down to about 4', screw each to the bottom of a 3 foot long 2x4, and attach the 2x4s with some sort of framing/decking (I used 2x2 framing and wainscoting). Add a rope to the front and dowels as handles (final product looks like an old rail sled), and you have the fastest sled you could imagine. Mine keeps going even on the slightest of declines. It's a little heavy, but works great. Much better than anything store bought.

How would you steer something like that? Sounds like a death trap. LOL

Anyone tried this brand? We have one that we bought a few years ago that has been great but looking for more this year, many are very thin and flimsy. I wonder if these are heavu duty or more like the thin ones.