WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

PowerBalance Wristbands To Annoy Skeptics

Billionaire Mark Cuban went out of his way to deride PowerBalance Wristbands in this YouTube video.  And that got us thinking: While there may be no "evidence" that these are effective at increasing sports performance, they are effective at annoying Mark Cuban. And who doesn't want to irritate that smug wingnut? 
PowerBalance official site

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Without my Power Balance Wristband, I'd be listing to the right all the time. Now, I'm just walking in circles. It's great.

So how has Power Balance changed your life. (I'm looking for fun posts here people!)

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

nowoot4u

quality posts: 9 Private Messages nowoot4u

Oh Woot, that's another time-out for you.

Go sit on the naughty stair.

gumbright

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gumbright

Come on, Woot. We like to buy "crap"...but not actual crap, which is what these things are.

You should be ashamed to be peddling such fraudulent crap.

rhycochet

quality posts: 16 Private Messages rhycochet

i'm afraid not even a heaping tablespoon of humor can save woot's reputation if you guys keep liquidating back-up stocks of this mysteriously overpriced, maliciously deceptive rubberband of no particular importance.

smittypap

quality posts: 6 Private Messages smittypap

Mission accomplished. This skeptic is annoyed yet again. I fart in your general direction.

Crap

kidsandliz

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kidsandliz
gumbright wrote:Come on, Woot. We like to buy "crap"...but not actual crap, which is what these things are.

You should be ashamed to be peddling such fraudulent crap.

At least it is now cheaper crap rather than seriously overpriced crap. Did that ignoramus actually think people would pay $60 for quackery (saw that episode, use it in my entrepreneurship class as an assignment)? LOL. Kids might like them the same as the other colored stretch ones they buy although those are cheaper still at 2 or 3 bucks so maybe not.

kidsandliz

rhycochet wrote:i'm afraid not even a heaping tablespoon of humor can save woot's reputation if you guys keep liquidating back-up stocks of this mysteriously overpriced, maliciously deceptive rubberband of no particular importance.

LOL!!!

kidsandliz

Well lets see, we could buy them all up and craft them into a basketball net. Then we could take more of them and make a rubber band basketball out of them. Of course we'd have to send the result to Mark Cuban to use with his basketball team. Maybe the magical powers these things have would mean they could now all jump 15' into the air when they shoot or block. As a matter of fact a snake oil salesman whispered in my ear that this is not only true but not to tell anyone so that their magical powers aren't used by competitors of Mark's team LOL.

skepticaljohn

quality posts: 1 Private Messages skepticaljohn

As Ren sagely said to Stimpy so many years ago when he was finally releived of the 'happy helmet', "I love being angry".

Thank you, Woot!, for providing something to get really angry about. I love being angry.

mlcrazy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mlcrazy

I am dumbfounded that people have actually purchased this with money.

epsy06

quality posts: 3 Private Messages epsy06
kidsandliz wrote:Well lets see, we could buy them all up and craft them into a basketball net. Then we could take more of them and make a rubber band basketball out of them. Of course we'd have to send the result to Mark Cuban to use with his basketball team. Maybe the magical powers these things have would mean they could now all jump 15' into the air when they shoot or block. As a matter of fact a snake oil salesman whispered in my ear that this is not only true but not to tell anyone so that their magical powers aren't used by competitors of Mark's team LOL.

I'm not sure if this is your joke or not, but the NBA did contract with these guys for powerbands and Mark Cuban flipped his lid and was very vocal about how they are trash.

DennisG2010

quality posts: 19 Private Messages DennisG2010

The fact that these things keep popping up on Woot is a good sign.
It means they're having a hard time getting rid of them which means there are more smart shoppers than suckers here.

Woot - just give up trying to sell them and include one w/ each Bandit Overrun City; that's where they belong.

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats

Thank you for this thread, woot.

Mmmmmm...

craigthom

quality posts: 62 Private Messages craigthom

In Woot's defense, they don't make or even repeat any of the claims that originally went with these things in the description. It's all about them being rubber bands with holograms. Which they are.

I remember years ago reading an article in Smithsonian Magazine about quack medicine and discovering that one of the ads on the side was for a bracelet with magnets in it.

I sent a letter to the editor about the irony of that, and I got a reply that the "ad placement was unfortunate".

enville

quality posts: 2 Private Messages enville

Well no wonder it's on woot, there is a new version. The Evo, with perforations. It's streamlined.

If I can borrow some classic woot lines...

No perforations, no thanks!

It's not streamlined. I'm out.

It will however work just fine with you PIP-Boy. lemming.

calixguy18

quality posts: 2 Private Messages calixguy18

Wow I stopped checking woot since the last time these were put up for sale and the time I decide to look again they are on sale again. This may be it for me and woot. Like the other person said, I don't want REAL crap.

blue_94_trooper

quality posts: 10 Private Messages blue_94_trooper
mlcrazy wrote:I am dumbfounded that people have actually purchased this with money.

Woot doesn't take wampum.

I am also dumbfounded but not angry. The people "quitting Woot" over these sales need to get a grip.

jpknight

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jpknight

Until these are selling for <10¢ ea. they are overpriced. The survivors making these really need to be put into unrecoverable debt.

jmminch

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jmminch
mlcrazy wrote:I am dumbfounded that people have actually purchased this with money.

Well, apparently woot did. Which speaks volumes about the decisions of whoever decided to buy into a fraudulent product.

AnotherHiggins

quality posts: 4 Private Messages AnotherHiggins

Take it easy everyone. These bands might have their place....

Let's say, for example, that you want to say to the world, "I've got money to burn and I'm not very smart!".

Well, this might be just the item for you.

And if you do choose to project that to the world, you're liable to meet some really interesting people.

Sure, those people will defraud you and leave you penniless, but at least you'll have a rubber band on your wrist.

So there's that.

You snooze, you loose. Well I have snost and lost.

jkirkc

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jkirkc
jmminch wrote:Well, apparently woot did. Which speaks volumes about the decisions of whoever decided to buy into a fraudulent product.

You guys are really taking life way too serious. If you don't want one don't buy one. That is true for every item woot sells.
Quit the whininng. Or buy out Bezos and run it how you want.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

jmminch wrote:Well, apparently woot did. Which speaks volumes about the decisions of whoever decided to buy into a fraudulent product.

...and they make excellent stocking stuffers!
:D

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

nanaejt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nanaejt
jkirkc wrote:You guys are really taking life way too serious. If you don't want one don't buy one. That is true for every item woot sells.
Quit the whininng. Or buy out Bezos and run it how you want.

You've got that right. Woot puts these up and the same folks chime in with how upset they are. I love it,I hope these wristbands replace the Dyson as the item most frequently up for sale on Woot.

gusvonpooch

quality posts: 24 Private Messages gusvonpooch
ThunderThighs wrote:Without my Power Balance Wristband, I'd be listing to the right all the time. Now, I'm just walking in circles. It's great.

So how has Power Balance changed your life. (I'm looking for fun posts here people!)

I bought 6 of these, 3 for each wrist.I fear getting too close to the refrigerator because once I got stuck to the door for two hours until a neighbor heard me yelling for help. I've lost 16 pounds and I owe it to my bevy of PBW. True story,true story.