2%
2%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

Based on the reviews I've been reading this backback doesn't have the issue most sporting backpacks I've used have had where they dig into your back and are incredibly uncomfortable. Also this is almost the price I paid to rent a really uncomfortable backpack so you really can't lose.http://www.altrec.com/sierra-designs/revival-50-backpack

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

Mogar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mogar

I wonder if the width of the Gator vs. Revival is really that different or if they just stuff the Gator more to make it look manlier.

sheunderground

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sheunderground

Why does this backpack fit horribly on the man wearing it in the picture?

Timmy4571

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Timmy4571
sheunderground wrote:Why does this backpack fit horribly on the man wearing it in the picture?

I think that is how it should fit. Best deal I've seen for a backpack this nice. In for one. Next woot needs to deal on the hydration bladder and other light weight camping equipment.

sgtgreeneusmc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sgtgreeneusmc
doomtothee wrote:Based on the reviews I've been reading this backback doesn't have the issue most sporting backpacks I've used have had where they dig into your back and are incredibly uncomfortable. Also this is almost the price I paid to rent a really uncomfortable backpack so you really can't lose.http://www.altrec.com/sierra-designs/revival-50-backpack

Thanks for the link. It gave some great angles of the pack and features, but seemed more of a product description than a true review. It is worth noting the reviews below the video; one particular point is that the waist belt is not long enough for anyone but the smallest waisted hikers.

OldensLow

quality posts: 1 Private Messages OldensLow
sgtgreeneusmc wrote:...the waist belt is not long enough for anyone but the smallest waisted hikers.

Uh, the video shows excess strapping dangling down to his knees on each side. How "corpulent" would one have to be not be able to "make it click," and then, would said person be hiking in the first place?

Page 1 and page two of pack's instructions.

TrekTechBlog.com review
FeedTheHabit.com review

DailyHiker review of 65L version
Backpacker.com review of 65L version
TrailSpace.com review of 65L version

SD's current Revivals are 65L versus 50L).

coreybv

quality posts: 0 Private Messages coreybv
Timmy4571 wrote:I think that is how it should fit.

No, it's not even close to fitted properly in that picture. The waist belt needs to be down on the hip bones, in the picture he has it wrapped around his stomach.

That's definitely not where you want to be supporting all that weight. (The purpose of the hip belt is to support the majority of the weight on your hips, taking the pressure off of your back.)

Most likely, that's just how the pack was set up from the manufacturer, and they threw it on the non-hiker model's back without making any attempt at adjusting it to fit him.

Having said all that, I've actually tried this pack on. It's nothing special. Probably worth what they're asking, but not much more. It would be OK for an overnighter every now and then, but I wouldn't want to use it for a "real" hiking trip.

rhochstrasser

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rhochstrasser

How do you measure your "torso fit range" to know which size to purchase?

sgtgreeneusmc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sgtgreeneusmc
OldensLow wrote:Uh, the video shows excess strapping dangling down to his knees on each side. How "corpulent" would one have to be not be able to "make it click," and then, would said person be hiking in the first place?

Uh, I was referencing a review written on the link from someone who's actually used the thing and specifically lists his waist and fit; perhaps you should have actually read it before jumping up there on your soapbox. I was just drawing attention to the review.

glenasmith

quality posts: 5 Private Messages glenasmith
coreybv wrote:No, it's not even close to fitted properly in that picture. The waist belt needs to be down on the hip bones, in the picture he has it wrapped around his stomach.

That's definitely not where you want to be supporting all that weight. (The purpose of the hip belt is to support the majority of the weight on your hips, taking the pressure off of your back.)

I am by no means an expert on the wearing of backpacks, but I am a recent purchaser of the Kelty 50 Redwing. In the instructions that came with the pack (Which I actually read.) It specifically states that the waist belt preferred location is across the belly button.

Kelty Manual wrote:It is recommended to wear the belt on hip bones, just under the rib cage. If you still prefer to wear the belt low, add one to two inches to your torso length measurement. Fig 2A shows both the preferred placement of the waistbelt and an example of a belt worn low. The low position is not recommended. Once positioned correctly, tighten the belt to prevent it from sliding. (A good rule of thumb is to have the belt buckle approximately over your belly button.)

Take it for what it's worth, YMMV and so on.

Glen

qirard

quality posts: 2 Private Messages qirard

I just wanted to point out to the less informed that this thing is almost 4lbs. That's entirely too heavy for a pack.

Even if you want a pack with that much support and weight you can beat this price any day of the week: http://www.golite.com/Ms-Quest-50L-Pack-P46803.aspx

Or spend $30 more and get a pack that weighs 2lbs less without any modifications. http://www.golite.com/Jam-50L-Pack-Unisex-P46812.aspx

OldensLow

sgtgreeneusmc wrote:... the waist belt is not long enough for anyone but the smallest waisted hikers.

sgtgreeneusmc wrote:Uh, I was referencing a review written on the link from someone who's actually used the thing ...

The top is not a reference but a subjective claim, one where you took ONE opinion from ONE "55-64"-year-old person with a "35-36-inch" waist on ONE site and portray it as fact (or at least the median hiker) while overlooking both actual photo evidence as well as other reviews/feedback from that and other sites listed). Sampling error; confirmation bias.

OldensLow

qirard wrote:I just wanted to point out to the less informed that this thing is almost 4lbs. That's entirely too heavy for a pack.

Even if you want a pack with that much support and weight you can beat this price any day of the week: http://www.golite.com/Ms-Quest-50L-Pack-P46803.aspx

Or spend $30 more and get a pack that weighs 2lbs less without any modifications. http://www.golite.com/Jam-50L-Pack-Unisex-P46812.aspx

A "more informed" reply would be that that first product is also about the same weight, the SD Revival 65 has come up multiple times on S&C for $77, and the Jam does not offer the same features.

There's a variety of types of packs for a variety of types of backpacking.