WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How long do you think you could you survive alone in the wild?
  • 18.5% - One day 252
  • 32.8% - One week 446
  • 16.3% - One month 222
  • 1.8% - One year 25
  • 30.5% - Indefinitely 414
1359 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

bcfrdrummer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bcfrdrummer

I feel like a lot of wooters are vastly overestimating themselves.

curtisuxor

quality posts: 56 Private Messages curtisuxor
bcfrdrummer wrote:I feel like a lot of wooters are vastly overestimating themselves.

Agreed. Then again, this sub-site is geared more to the adventurous/outdoorsy types. Still, watching the Discovery Channel doesn't increase your likelihood of living for much longer than a month if you have no previous knowledge of survival techniques.

I chose one week because my vast reserves of body fat will help nourish me. I'd probably be awful at finding a fresh source of water in time, though.

mncowboy96

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mncowboy96

I grew up in the boondocks where I didn't have running water and we heated our house with a pot belly stove. From the age of 3 my chores where to get firewood and bring it inside to dry and a harsh Minnesota winter that sucked.

I am glad to have creature comforts now but I log about 500 hours a year hunting and easy another 300 fishing. I have taught outdoor/winter survival classes and always go prepared.

I look forward to the challenge and will enjoy the show of everyone else falling to the way side. Good luck!

jedinc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jedinc

Once upon a time I too lived in those BOONDOCKS! (70+ Years ago).
Today finding the Oxycodone to get rid of the pain to is enough for the morning.

Thpbltblt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Thpbltblt

I can't vote until I know how much time to prepare I have and what, if anything, I'm allowed to take with me.

epicsatyr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epicsatyr

(This is kind of like Hunger games where everyone has to present themselves to the rich ppl, and prove their survival skills)

I was a boyscout in my youth, and have forgotten everything......but I do own a compound bow, and it won't be psychologically damaging for me to eat people. Choose me!

jdcamp

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jdcamp
curtisuxor wrote:Still, watching the Discovery Channel doesn't increase your likelihood of living for much longer than a month ...

Whaaa? but I watch Man vs. Wild, Survivorman, and Dual Survivor... and back in the day I watched McGyver... I should be covered

olperfesser

quality posts: 2 Private Messages olperfesser

I had survival training, where we had to avoid a search team for 5 days. My team was one of the few who didn't get caught, and reached our objective. Give me a backpack, my leatherman, and a compass. (Add a rifle and fishing gear, might last two weeks - not as young as I used to be.)

swantner

quality posts: 2 Private Messages swantner

That depends on how much that stuttering problem you have is going hurt your chances.

How long do you think you could you survive alone in the wild?

How does one "you survive"?

hippie1981

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hippie1981

I can fish, but I've never cleaned/gutted/done whatever it is you need to do to them so you can eat them. I've never hunted or trapped anything. I've never even built a fire before. So...I think i'm being optimistic by saying I'd survive 1 day.

HomerTime

quality posts: 1 Private Messages HomerTime

Wow! 30% of the people here are immortal.

zXzGrifterzXz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zXzGrifterzXz

I was one of the few people who voted for "Indefinitely" and meant it. Zombie Squad for Life!

note2001

quality posts: 26 Private Messages note2001

I think wooters are assuming there will be a starbucks nearby with free web connectivity, indoor plumbing and if need be, a place to charge the laptop/tablet/ipaddy thing.

Once they find out "the wild" is not modernized I'm sure they'll drop down to the less than a day group.

gooseygoose

quality posts: 9 Private Messages gooseygoose

Exactly what I was going to say. 90% of people today cannot survive 30 minutes without their cell phones (remember that other pole a ways back). Most people would drop down to an hour before offering their souls for a few bars of service. The rest would drop off in a few more hours when they realize the woods don't come with what they think of as a toilet and toilet paper.
Woot needed a 'five minutes if I am lucky' option

note2001 wrote:I think wooters are assuming there will be a starbucks nearby with free web connectivity, indoor plumbing and if need be, a place to charge the laptop/tablet/ipaddy thing.

Once they find out "the wild" is not modernized I'm sure they'll drop down to the less than a day group.

stella54

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stella54

It depends on too many things. Where are you, the desert, mountains, rainforest? What do you have with you, knife, canteen, matches? What season is it?

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

What are you talking about? I've been living here for years!

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward

Most cases of death in the wilderness result from panic. If you keep your head and do the right things in the right order, people can survive almost anywhere.