4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hop over to the new week-long pop-up shop!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

bpr2

quality posts: 182 Private Messages bpr2

In case anyone wants a size comparison between the medium and the large

fyi,
I just took the picture. The above are from my personal collection.

that was fun while it lasted!

taxwizard

quality posts: 8 Private Messages taxwizard

Bought 2 already for Stocking Stuffers !

bpr2

taxwizard wrote:Bought 2 already for Stocking Stuffers !

I wish I were on your shopping list :D

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman

I've bought more of these than I care to admit from woot! - best knife in this price range woot! has ever offered. Sharp, tough, amazing - don't hesitate! Tons of great info and videos in the comment sections of previous sales of this same knife - this is a great knife and a great price!

doomtothee

quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

Would these be good for whittling sticks and basic carving?

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

bpr2

I fully agree! Do NOT hesitate on buying these knives.

gregbowman wrote:I've bought more of these than I care to admit from woot! - best knife in this price range woot! has ever offered. Sharp, tough, amazing - don't hesitate! Tons of great info and videos in the comment sections of previous sales of this same knife - this is a great knife and a great price!

maybejet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maybejet

I knew I should have waited to buy the larger knife. When I saw them come around again at $27.99 a few weeks ago, I HAD to get a set to match the mediums I wooted previously. Hhmmmm...I could always keep a pristine complete set in my collection and get more for reenacting the Cold Steel videos of slicing & dicing hanging sides of beef and pork!

bpr2---Quit twisting my arm! Don't make me press the button........

bookofjoshua

quality posts: 12 Private Messages bookofjoshua

Personally I already have issues with sharpening knives, I sure don't need one that isn't in straight line.

here is a review from The Late Boyscout on the large version.... enjoy it's not working for me so here is the link.. http://youtu.be/NIVglUtZY6Y

[MOD: Fixed video]
To MOD thanks, I feel silly now that I see what I did

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

AUS8 is pretty low grade steel--not bad, just low end of knife steel. See the chart here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/879132-Stainless-Steel-Chart-Comparison-EDC-Knife-Blades-v5-3

I might buy one of these for a beater box-cutter, or better yet, a trainer for a newbie to learn sharpening, as it will need LOTS of sharpening! IMHO, at this price you can do better.

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

bpr2

Are you asking for me to post more pictures?

maybejet wrote:I knew I should have waited to buy the larger knife. When I saw them come around again at $27.99 a few weeks ago, I HAD to get a set to match the mediums I wooted previously. Hhmmmm...I could always keep a pristine complete set in my collection and get more for reenacting the Cold Steel videos of slicing & dicing hanging sides of beef and pork!

bpr2---Quit twisting my arm! Don't make me press the button........

kentsokay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kentsokay

AUS 8 is going to be the best stainless steel you can get for under $50, 440C is usually what you see at this price. The Tri-ad lock on these knives is vastly superior to liner lock knives, also all you will find at this price.

Lynn Thompson is a tool, but buy this tool with confidence.

maybejet

bpr2 wrote:Are you asking for me to post more pictures?

Naaaah, I have 4 of these (1 in each of the Woot available configurations). On second thought, if I fondle my Cold Steel while the wife is sleeping and she wakes up to the clicking of my flicking the blades open...oh, that is probably too much information! LOL

ckeilah

If you really want to get up to speed on knife steel, read this:

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml

ckeilah

kentsokay wrote:AUS 8 is going to be the best stainless steel you can get for under $50, 440C is usually what you see at this price. The Tri-ad lock on these knives is vastly superior to liner lock knives, also all you will find at this price.

$29 for VG-10 would disagree with you.
http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SPLFGP3/Spyderco-LFGP3-Ladybug3-Key-Ring-Knife-1-1516-inch-VG10-Plain-Blade-Green-FRN-Handle

$3 shipping makes that awesome Spyderco Ladybug only $2 more that this middling woot! Woot! I may actually have to pick up a couple of those for gifts.

maybejet

ckeilah wrote:AUS8 is pretty low grade steel--not bad, just low end of knife steel. See the chart here:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/879132-Stainless-Steel-Chart-Comparison-EDC-Knife-Blades-v5-3

I might buy one of these for a beater box-cutter, or better yet, a trainer for a newbie to learn sharpening, as it will need LOTS of sharpening! IMHO, at this price you can do better.

Based on the responses the chart poster received on the knife forum, I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock into it. There are far too many variables to define the "best" steel for a knife blade. BTW, if you plan on buying one of these Cold Steel knives as a box cutter, I have a deal for you: Buy 3, ship them to me, and I will ship you some folding box cutters and replacement blades in trade. Deal?

bpr2

ckeilah, have fun when the unreliable lock (spring) breaks on you.

I've put so much abuse on the try-ad locks with some of my other Cold Steel knives, and each and every try-ad locks all work as if I just got it from the factory.

monkoosbob0

quality posts: 1 Private Messages monkoosbob0

Not a huge fan of Cold Steel products. Especially this one with that pronounced recurve -- would be very hard to sharpen. The only reason I haven't picked up other CS knives is because they are usually very overpriced, and I think the reason these ended up on Woot, is the goofy blade-shape.
I feel like there are better choices for everyday carry roles.

Kershaw Cryo is a great example, it is made from a similar steel, but a much more practical knife.
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Cryo-Speed-Folding-Knife/dp/B0074FI28Q/

Same price too.

maybejet

ckeilah wrote:$29 for VG-10 would disagree with you.
http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SPLFGP3/Spyderco-LFGP3-Ladybug3-Key-Ring-Knife-1-1516-inch-VG10-Plain-Blade-Green-FRN-Handle

$3 shipping makes that awesome Spyderco Ladybug only $2 more that this middling woot! Woot! I may actually have to pick up a couple of those for gifts.

At the same website, you could also pick-up some of the Cold Steel Voyager knives for $47.95. If you can only handle less than a 2" blade in a folder, by all means, spend more money on the Spiderco. It is much more cheaper than a trip to the ER from mishandling a 3" or 4" blade CS Voyager. (For goodness sake, please stay away from the X-Lg 5.5" blade. It isn't worth losing an arm or a leg!)

ckeilah

As I wrote, these would be great for someone who needs to learn to sharpen! ;-)

I'll stick with my Mcusta until I win the lottery and can go all crazy with toys.

FWIW, I can endorse the other knife currently on woot!

http://www.woot.com/offers/kershaw-vapor-iii-folding-knife-8

8cr13mov is pretty comparable to AUS-8.

mschauber

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber

Damn... Freak'n New York City area laws.. Can't get these shipped to me.

In need of a wootlegger. Yes, I'm serious ;) If anyone works in NYC but lives in NJ/CT where these can be shipped, please let me know via PM. Wootlegging is an honorable and appreciated 'line of work;)'

Thanks.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

ckeilah

"woot!legging"! I like it! :-D

rgivey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rgivey

I ordered one of each of these (one lg. plain, one sm. serrated)last time they were offered. I was not at all impressed with either one. The Kershaw's and the Smith & Wesson's I have ordered here are of much better quality. I expected a lot better knife for the money.

ckeilah

rgivey, see my link four posts above. Kerahaws on woot! for $10/each!

videowallart

quality posts: 1 Private Messages videowallart

Meh, Save up a little and get a Spyderco. One professional sharpening (or purchase of stone etc.) will make up for the difference in purchase price. My suggestion: Spyderco Delica

bookofjoshua

doomtothee wrote:Would these be good for whittling sticks and basic carving?

I suppose with any non-serrated blad you could whittle, but given the curve of the blade I would think this is not an ideal option.

bookofjoshua

videowallart wrote:Meh, Save up a little and get a Spyderco. One professional sharpening (or purchase of stone etc.) will make up for the difference in purchase price. My suggestion: Spyderco Delica

dude, this is AUS 8A steel, it may not be the best of the best of the best....with honors, but it's not bad. while I wouldn't suggest this blade shape the knife isn't that bad and you will definitely get more than what you're paying for. My suggestion would be to make sure this is the type of knife you actually want, because yes that is really curved as much as you think it is!

bookofjoshua

ckeilah wrote:AUS8 is pretty low grade steel--not bad, just low end of knife steel. See the chart here:

You have a great scale there, but lets be real, VG-10 is in the middle of your scale and that what most of the top tier knives are using. Sure there is better, but be realistic about it, AUS 8A is a good steel. I may be middle of the road ,or 1/4 of the road on your scale, but in the grand scheme of steel it will still hold an edge and anyone that can ruin that edge in a normal day probably has something handy to do a quick clean up and sharpen that back to usable until they get home.

bookofjoshua

ckeilah wrote:$29 for VG-10 would disagree with you.

that's a 2" knife and the lady bug is a very widely distributed knife making it even cheaper due to abundance. Countycomm has the salt version of it on sale for 37.99 +shipping. Find me a 3" or 4" VG-10 that's within a dollar of 30 shipped and then I'll buy into your shenanigans!!

thurmanite

quality posts: 4 Private Messages thurmanite
mschauber wrote:Damn... Freak'n New York City area laws.. Can't get these shipped to me.

In need of a wootlegger. Yes, I'm serious ;) If anyone works in NYC but lives in NJ/CT where these can be shipped, please let me know via PM. Wootlegging is an honorable and appreciated 'line of work;)'

Thanks.

Dude, it's not just NYC. I'm an hour north of Albany and it has my zip code listed. I think they blanked out all of NYS as I'm seeing some Syracuse, Niagara Falls, and Southern Tier zip codes as well. Don't understand why, I've had Kershaw assisted action folders that I bought on Woot shipped to me. What gives with some plain old locking folders?

On a side note, I've had very good luck with all my Cold Steel knives. Very impressed with their fixed blade models, I keep a 6" tactical next to my Glock when I sleep.

Proudly tracking via WootStalker.com

djmj99

quality posts: 2 Private Messages djmj99

When it comes to every day carry knives, there is only one to own...SOG-Flash 2. Please Woot, look into offering these.

alkpwn77

quality posts: 1 Private Messages alkpwn77
doomtothee wrote:Would these be good for whittling sticks and basic carving?

Yeah, they would. Cold steel is one of the best kinds. It's one of the hardest and sharpest blades there is. It can do a lot more than whittle sticks. It can whittle the bones of your enemies.

twiswall

quality posts: 4 Private Messages twiswall

I bought one of these previously because I had heard Cold Steel knives were very good. To be clear I buy lots of pocket knives, from Woot and other sources. This thing is terrible. First and foremost I hate the old time blade lock function, it takes two hands to open and close it. In fact occasionally I feel like I need three hands because the lock is so ridiculously tight. Also it looks and feels cheap, both the plastic housing and blade. Thumbs down for me.

ghostofdavid

quality posts: 11 Private Messages ghostofdavid
kentsokay wrote:AUS 8 is going to be the best stainless steel you can get for under $50, 440C is usually what you see at this price. The Tri-ad lock on these knives is vastly superior to liner lock knives, also all you will find at this price.

Lynn Thompson is a tool, but buy this tool with confidence.

You said everything I was going to say.

Suck it, Trebek.

mrmessma

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mrmessma

Not a fan of the shape, but I have no problem sharpening it, I've got practice. That said, this is a great knife, and at this price, nothing short of a steel. (Sorry, I'll show myself out.)

mitchlouis32

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mitchlouis32

Bought the medium, straight edge version about a month ago from woot. I do like the knife. I've owned much much worse for the price. But after a couple of weeks of EDC, the blade started to show tiny rust spots. I failed to oil the blade in the time this happened, but I still feel this happened awfully quick.

gregbowman

quality posts: 44 Private Messages gregbowman

Field dress a deer with it (as I did when I got caught without my carcass kit with me) and you'll quickly come to realize that this shape is meant for cutting flesh. You'll get good control in your hand carving out a joint or handling cartilage with the design of this knife.

This knife is wicked sharp out of the box and surprisingly easy to maintain an edge with a little patience - for this price I guess you could even scrape it through a Smith's Pocket Pal if you wanted - it isn't like this is a $200 knife guys, lighten up. At $30, at least for me, it is in many aspects, disposable.

No rust issues for me and it has been in my pocket with (very) heavy use four days days after the first time the knives were offered at woot!.

sdheathen

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sdheathen

straight edge is very hard to sharpen, so is the serrated, but the serrated is wicked bad ass. We rolled up a magazine into a tube and i sliced it in half with one stroke!

I collect knives and i can say for the price its pretty bad ass!

tigger2000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tigger2000

This is a wickedly sharp knife and the edge is easily maintained using a carbide sharpener with fixed sharpening steels (looks like a V), and you can finish the process with fixed ceramic rods (also looks like a V). There are a million of them out there I've used one from "Ready Edge" for years.
I liked the Voyager so much I went on Amazon and brought its big brother, 5" blade with an American tanto point." "Ckeilah" thanks for the chart.