WootBot


quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Sea Eagle SE 330 Pro Kayak Package

Speed to First Woot:
15m 36.555s
First Sucker:
millerdavidklee
Last Wooter to Woot:
fuzzymemory
Last Purchase:
2 years ago
Order Pace (rank):
Top 34% of Sport Woots
Bottom 42% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 16% of Sport Woots
Top 41% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 10% first woot
  • 10% second woot
  • 25% < 10 woots
  • 21% < 25 woots
  • 34% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 11% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 3% one month old
  • 16% one year old
  • 69% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 95% bought 1
  • 4% bought 2
  • 1% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

2%
4%
3%
1%
1%
5%
3%
3%
7%
5%
5%
4%
5%
5%
9%
5%
6%
2%
2%
5%
7%
3%
3%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


doomtothee


quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

Ooooh, if I didn't live in Pittsburgh where I'd be paddling through laundry detergent and mutant fish I'd totally pick one of these up. Woot's got the best price I could find,
Next best for $40 more here-
http://www.boatersland.com/se-330pro.html?gclid=COe05JCO-7MCFY-d4AodsW8AXg

Be careful, a lot of sites have very similar looking deals but on closer inspection are either just the hull of the ship, or the single seater version of it.
Honestly this would be a really good gift for a wife, a promise of quality time...

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

doomtothee wrote:Ooooh, if I didn't live in Pittsburgh where I'd be paddling through laundry detergent and mutant fish I'd totally pick one of these up. Woot's got the best price I could find,
Next best for $40 more here-
http://www.boatersland.com/se-330pro.html?gclid=COe05JCO-7MCFY-d4AodsW8AXg

Be careful, a lot of sites have very similar looking deals but on closer inspection are either just the hull of the ship, or the single seater version of it.
Honestly this would be a really good gift for a wife, a promise of quality time...



Excellent job noting the differences at other sites.

But wooooo-weeeeee, look at the shipping costs to me for the ones you found:




FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

doomtothee


quality posts: 48 Private Messages doomtothee

I dunno, that next day shipping looks pretty appealing... get it quick and get in a nice donation to the struggling U.S. Postal service. That is if they don't use brown.

Woot won't let me have a cool signature

gtneher


quality posts: 0 Private Messages gtneher

Not sure how it compares exactly. The pro looks a little nicer? But Costco has for $189.
http://www.costco.com/.product.577972.html

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

gtneher wrote:Not sure how it compares exactly. The pro looks a little nicer? But Costco has for $189.
http://www.costco.com/.product.577972.html


That's the SE-370. It's a bit longer than this one but you'll notice that it doesn't have the upgraded comfy seats or the carry bag. If you look at the Sea Eagle site, you'll see that the two deluxe seats are valued at almost $100.




FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

SeyelentEco


quality posts: 0 Private Messages SeyelentEco

Anyone have thoughts about having a small child with my wife and I in this Kayak? She's pretty small (under 40 lbs), I'm worried about space though.

jhoff909


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhoff909
ThunderThighs wrote:That's the SE-370. It's a bit longer than this one but you'll notice that it doesn't have the upgraded comfy seats or the carry bag. If you look at the Sea Eagle site, you'll see that the two deluxe seats are valued at almost $100.



Curious on folks thots on the deluxe seats. The Costco price is better for a bigger boat with heavier material (more durable - 38 vs 33 mil). Are the deluxe seats worth it / necessary?

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

jhoff909 wrote:Curious on folks thots on the deluxe seats. The Costco price is better for a bigger boat with heavier material (more durable - 38 vs 33 mil). Are the deluxe seats worth it / necessary?


While we don't usually talk about future sales, if you're interested in the large 370, I'm told you could probably stay tuned later this month... most likely, you know.




FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

ssf65


quality posts: 0 Private Messages ssf65

I just found same deluxe package at amazon for $199.00:
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-Inflatable-Deluxe-Package/dp/B000SL0A56

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 605 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

ssf65 wrote:I just found same deluxe package at amazon for $199.00:
http://www.amazon.com/Sea-Eagle-Inflatable-Deluxe-Package/dp/B000SL0A56



Yep, that sure is the Deluxe package alright but it's not the same as the one we are selling.

We're selling the PRO package. Look at the seats and you'll see that ours has the upgraded seats, an almost $100 value.




FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

jhoff909


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhoff909
ThunderThighs wrote:While we don't usually talk about future sales, if you're interested in the large 370, I'm told you could probably stay tuned later this month... most likely, you know.



Might it "most likely" be the pro package? You know, with the deluxe seats?

elliottk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages elliottk
ThunderThighs wrote: Look at the seats and you'll see that ours has the upgraded seats, an almost $100 value.



Those seats make a huge difference. I have tried both. The standard seats are like not having a seat at all. Some people can do okay without the back support, but not me!

LastApeMan


quality posts: 18 Private Messages LastApeMan

I have not owned the Kayak, i have owned The SE8 and Two SE9's though. I used to be a Huge fan of this company. my earlier rafts are Made In Italy and they are Premium quality, both are many Years outside of the warranty and 100% working and operational, I use them nearly daily in the Summertime to run the Boise River, at the very least 3 Times a week, all summer long. They are Great, They are so great I decided to get a new one and chose the Fisherman's dream pack SE9, had all the goodies with it and everything was grand. Guess what though, these are no longer made in Italy, the valves are cheaper and the material is not the same at all, my SE9 from CHINA, that cost me plenty is broken after only one season of use and this is a fairly Mild river as far as they go. This Kayak is the exact color material as my broken Chinese SE9 and I would bet quite a bit it's made in the same place as the SE9. My SE9 separated at the seam in the Bow and was 2.5 weeks outside the warranty period and when I called Sea Eagle they told me there was no way to repair it, they said do not even try it will not work and they told me that they could cut me a deal on a replacement hull for 200.00. I declined and am now using my fishermans dream set with the old school SE9 I have been running 11 years straight. I even decided to take it lake fishing and mounted a 1964 J9 Clinton outboard on the transom and it was awesome, 8 hours of fishing a day and no worries. long story ends, China Sea Eagles seem coal to me comparatively. sometimes when you sell out you loose customers and references SEA EAGLE.

What Lies Behind Us and Lies Before Us are Small Matters Compared to What Lies Right to Our Faces.

timsackmann


quality posts: 0 Private Messages timsackmann

one tree branch just under the water surface, and your happiness will come to a screeching halt. happened to me . one branch made 3 rips. not patchable. returnable good luck. go to candy canes sporting goods . get a real 10 foot that will last 20 years until you give it away or sell it. for about $200.00 you can get it rigfht the first time. i like woot i use woot this is no jack kennedy.

KevOKC


quality posts: 5 Private Messages KevOKC

I have a totally different brand saw I it was made in Japan. 7 years now and they are still in great shape. I don't know if this is helpfull buy wanted to let people know that some ober sea products are made very well.

charliecarroll


quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll

Sea Eagle SE 330 Pro Kayak Package - Prices Compared

Today on WOOT = $219.99 + $5 shipping = Total = $224.99

ebay = $299.99 + ships free
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sea-Eagle-SE-330-Sport-PRO-Package-Inflatable-Boat-11-2-Kayak-/110888178333#vi-content

LiveWell Sports = $299.00 + Ships free
http://livewellsports.com/sea-eagle-se-330-11-2-pro-kayak-package-inflatable-sport-kayak?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=free_cpc&utm_campaign=datafeed&gclid=CNDH1r7O-7MCFQsGnQodjyEAMg

Bass Pro Shops = $249.99 + ships free if you use PROMO CODE PRESENT
http://www.basspro.com/Sea-Eagle-330-Sport-Kayak-Deluxe-Package/product/101215/

***WOOT offers the best deal by $25.00***

***NOTE:
Above pricing and vendors came from a random Google search with the intent to find a fair, "apples to apples" comparison. Your own search may find different and/or lower prices.


[MOD EDIT: The link for Bass Pro Shop ($249.99) is actually for the Deluxe package, not the Pro package being sold here on Woot]

davepittpa


quality posts: 0 Private Messages davepittpa
doomtothee wrote:Ooooh, if I didn't live in Pittsburgh where I'd be paddling through laundry detergent and mutant fish I'd totally pick one of these up. Woot's got the best price I could find,
Next best for $40 more here-
http://www.boatersland.com/se-330pro.html?gclid=COe05JCO-7MCFY-d4AodsW8AXg

Be careful, a lot of sites have very similar looking deals but on closer inspection are either just the hull of the ship, or the single seater version of it.
Honestly this would be a really good gift for a wife, a promise of quality time...



Doomtothee, what a coincidence. I live in Pittsburgh also. I have a boat and go out on the rivers. I'm sure they are still polluted, but they are clean enough that being out on the water is still a fun day and gives a nice waterfront perspective of this beautiful city. In terms of boating, I started out with a used fiberglass canoe and an electric trolling motor and had fun in that. Personally I would rather buy a used canoe than an inflatable except for the weight of loading and unloading the canoe by myself. I know there are lightweight canoes, but they are more expensive, even used. Anyway, on to more important topics. The Steelers REALLY need a win over Baltimore this week.

kgamon


quality posts: 8 Private Messages kgamon
KevOKC wrote:I have a totally different brand saw I it was made in Japan. 7 years now and they are still in great shape. I don't know if this is helpfull buy wanted to let people know that some ober sea products are made very well.



Comparing "made in Japan" with "made in China"? Umm...

Ryukyu King

cecilhoge


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cecilhoge
SeyelentEco wrote:Anyone have thoughts about having a small child with my wife and I in this Kayak? She's pretty small (under 40 lbs), I'm worried about space though.



cecilhoge


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cecilhoge
LastApeMan wrote:I have not owned the Kayak, i have owned The SE8 and Two SE9's though. I used to be a Huge fan of this company. my earlier rafts are Made In Italy and they are Premium quality, both are many Years outside of the warranty and 100% working and operational, I use them nearly daily in the Summertime to run the Boise River, at the very least 3 Times a week, all summer long. They are Great, They are so great I decided to get a new one and chose the Fisherman's dream pack SE9, had all the goodies with it and everything was grand. Guess what though, these are no longer made in Italy, the valves are cheaper and the material is not the same at all, my SE9 from CHINA, that cost me plenty is broken after only one season of use and this is a fairly Mild river as far as they go. This Kayak is the exact color material as my broken Chinese SE9 and I would bet quite a bit it's made in the same place as the SE9. My SE9 separated at the seam in the Bow and was 2.5 weeks outside the warranty period and when I called Sea Eagle they told me there was no way to repair it, they said do not even try it will not work and they told me that they could cut me a deal on a replacement hull for 200.00. I declined and am now using my fishermans dream set with the old school SE9 I have been running 11 years straight. I even decided to take it lake fishing and mounted a 1964 J9 Clinton outboard on the transom and it was awesome, 8 hours of fishing a day and no worries. long story ends, China Sea Eagles seem coal to me comparatively. sometimes when you sell out you loose customers and references SEA EAGLE.



Hi, this is Ceci Hoge, president of Sea Eagle. We last sold Italian made Sea 330s, 370s,8s and 9s 15 years ago. Sine then all of these models have been Chinese. Sorry. Anyway, we think material is better, the vales are better, the design is better. Of course, we are prejudiced. I can say in the last 15 years we have sold far more of these models and had far less complaints and defects.

cecilhoge


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cecilhoge
SeyelentEco wrote:Anyone have thoughts about having a small child with my wife and I in this Kayak? She's pretty small (under 40 lbs), I'm worried about space though.



This model is probably going to be too small for you if you want to carry you, your wife and your kid. It's good for one person with a lot of gear or 2 people with a couple of water bottles and sandwiches - Cecil Hoge, Sea Eagle

MITCHELLWOOT


quality posts: 4 Private Messages MITCHELLWOOT
elliottk wrote:Those seats make a huge difference. I have tried both. The standard seats are like not having a seat at all. Some people can do okay without the back support, but not me!



same experience here, specially when you're actually paddleling in the water and not just sitting in it in the living room....

I second that.

RSteve


quality posts: 0 Private Messages RSteve
LastApeMan wrote:

I have not owned the Kayak, I have owned The SE8 and Two SE9's though. I used to be a Huge fan of this company. My earlier rafts are Made In Italy and they are Premium quality, both are many Years outside of the warranty and 100% working and operational, I use them nearly daily in the Summertime to run the Boise River, at the very least 3 Times a week, all summer long. They are great, They are so great I decided to get a new one and chose the Fisherman's dream pack SE9, had all the goodies with it and everything was grand. Guess what though, these are no longer made in Italy, the valves are cheaper and the material is not the same at all, my SE9 from CHINA, that cost me plenty, is broken after only one season of use, and this is a fairly Mild river, as far as they go. This Kayak is the exact color material as my broken Chinese SE9 and I would bet quite a bit, it's made in the same place as the SE9. My SE9 separated at the seam in the Bow and was 2.5 weeks outside the warranty period and when I called Sea Eagle, who told me there was no way to repair it. They said, do not even try it, it will not work, and they told me that they could cut me a deal on a replacement hull for 200.00. I declined and am now using my fishermans dream set with the old school SE9 I have been running 11 years straight. I even decided to take it lake fishing and mounted a 1964 J9 Clinton outboard on the transom and it was awesome, 8 hours of fishing a day and no worries. long story ends, China Sea Eagles seem coal to me comparatively. Sometimes when you sell out, you lose customers and references, SEA EAGLE.
In reply, Sea Eagle President, Cecil Hoge wrote:Hi, this is Cecil Hoge, president of Sea Eagle. We last sold Italian made Sea 330s, 370s,8s and 9s 15 years ago. Since then all of these models have been Chinese. Sorry. Anyway, we think material is better, the vales are better, the design is better. Of course, we are prejudiced. I can say in the last 15 years we have sold far more of these models and had far less complaints and defects.

Respectfully, Mr. Hoge, what did anyone expect you reply?

Perhaps:

"Yes, I have to agree with LastApeMan, we moved our resource from Italy to China simply to increase our profit margin."

LOL

And, Mr. Hoge, your forte is in marketing. The Sea Eagle is sold through innumerable retail outlets, from Costco to Walmart to Amazon and BassPro to Woot. It's through your adept and skillful marketing that have geometrically increased sales since you moved your resource from Italy to China over the past decade and one half. The quality of your product has significantly diminished with the move, as I would wager, sales and profits have grown.
I also had an early Italian made Sea Eagle that I enjoyed for many years. While it never got rough use, I didn't coddle it either, and it served me well. Now, retired for over a decade, I began shopping locally for a Sea Eagle replacement and was astounded to find, even at a cursory examination, how the quality of manufacture had been compromised to keep the retail price down. Unquestionably, relative to time of manufacture, your Chinese made kayaks are at a significantly lower retail price point than they were, when manufactured in Italy, but the durability, in my opinion, has slipped.

Best Wishes.

Startoursjedi


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Startoursjedi

Read this as "Sam Eagle Pro Kayak"...almost instinctively purchased, lol.

wrek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages wrek
SeyelentEco wrote:Anyone have thoughts about having a small child with my wife and I in this Kayak? She's pretty small (under 40 lbs), I'm worried about space though.



That's one tiny wife.

You're so vain... you probably think this post is about you.. don't you? Don't you? You're so vain!

suebob4001


quality posts: 1 Private Messages suebob4001
wrek wrote:That's one tiny wife.



if you and your wife use it have a good divorce lawyer
kayak is not like a canoe
we have canoe no problems using it together we tried double kayak immediately opted for two single kayaks

suebob4001


quality posts: 1 Private Messages suebob4001
SeyelentEco wrote:Anyone have thoughts about having a small child with my wife and I in this Kayak? She's pretty small (under 40 lbs), I'm worried about space though.


these roll over easily and can be a challenge getting in and out
if your child can sit on wife's lap and just enjoy the ride no problem but your wife better leave her paddle behind

cecilhoge


quality posts: 1 Private Messages cecilhoge
RSteve wrote:Respectfully, Mr. Hoge, what did anyone expect you reply?

Perhaps:

"Yes, I have to agree with LastApeMan, we moved our resource from Italy to China simply to increase our profit margin."

LOL

And, Mr. Hoge, your forte is in marketing. The Sea Eagle is sold through innumerable retail outlets, from Costco to Walmart to Amazon and BassPro to Woot. It's through your adept and skillful marketing that have geometrically increased sales since you moved your resource from Italy to China over the past decade and one half. The quality of your product has significantly diminished with the move, as I would wager, sales and profits have grown.
I also had an early Italian made Sea Eagle that I enjoyed for many years. While it never got rough use, I didn't coddle it either, and it served me well. Now, retired for over a decade, I began shopping locally for a Sea Eagle replacement and was astounded to find, even at a cursory examination, how the quality of manufacture had been compromised to keep the retail price down. Unquestionably, relative to time of manufacture, your Chinese made kayaks are at a significantly lower retail price point than they were, when manufactured in Italy, but the durability, in my opinion, has slipped.

Best Wishes.



Respectfully, I disagree. Also, we did not move to China to increase our margin. We moved because our Italian supplier went out of business and their were no equal quality factories in Europe.

In any case, the special formula PVC we now use is superior, not inferior, producing stronger welding, more resistance to punctures and tears. Yes, I accept my marketing did increase sales, but if you are right, as we sold more products, we should have experienced more defects and quality complaints. That did happen - complaints and defects went down as a percentage of sales.

I am quite proud to say, however, when the Italian boats were introduced, they were the best products of their kind in the world. I am also proud to say the present Sea Eagles are the best products of their kind in the world today.
And yes,I am prejudiced and yes, you might expect me to say that, but that is also what I think.

All the best - Cecil Hoge

dhrmd


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dhrmd
doomtothee wrote:Ooooh, if I didn't live in Pittsburgh where I'd be paddling through laundry detergent and mutant fish I'd totally pick one of these up. Woot's got the best price I could find,
Next best for $40 more here-
http://www.boatersland.com/se-330pro.html?gclid=COe05JCO-7MCFY-d4AodsW8AXg

Be careful, a lot of sites have very similar looking deals but on closer inspection are either just the hull of the ship, or the single seater version of it.
Honestly this would be a really good gift for a wife, a promise of quality time...


Try Costco:
http://www.costco.com/Sea-Eagle-370-Inflatable-Kayak.product.11645301.html

joecooool


quality posts: 24 Private Messages joecooool

I bought one a few months ago, I live on an island in the Florida Keys. The boat is OK, my biggest complaint is its virtually impossible to get the boat back in the bag once you deflate it. After trying for a half hour, I said screw it and I threw the wet deflated boat in my trunk. I did this a few times and boy was that a mistake. I recently noticed that there is now rust in the trunk from the salt water coming off the boat.

Sure wish the bag was a bit bigger...

anachostic


quality posts: 4 Private Messages anachostic

I purchased two SE-330's (not pro) in a previous Woot. They have been in both lake and ocean without any issues.

I would recommend considering this a solo passenger craft so you can stretch out and enjoy.

If anyone is wondering, you can fit these into the trunk of an MX-5. Yes, two of them.



Overall, I am very pleased with the purchase.

bradjones06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradjones06

I own this model kayak and I think that this Woot is a great deal. I have used this kayak on rivers, lakes, and oceans and have had no problems with it. I have checked it on a plane and it weighs in just under 50 lbs with all my PFDs and gear (including a battery powered pump, which I highly recommend for convenience). The best part is, it takes up very little room in my overcrowded garage and I can fit a kayak inside my compact vehicle.

I can kayak (it is like a canoe) with my wife, my 3 yr old son, or by myself fishing. I even plan on floating the Rio Grande for a few days this spring after peak run off. Regardless of location of production, this kayak is of excellent build and material quality.

The PRO vs the DELUXE package is what makes this a good deal. If the seats are not important to you, then the Costco deal on the SE370 is good too. But the pro seats drive the cost considerable. I've heard they are nice but I am very happy with my deluxe seats.

If anyone has any specific questions about this kayak, I'd be happy answer them without the distractions and misinformation (perhaps disinformation) in some of these comments.

ThatPoshGirl


quality posts: 32 Private Messages ThatPoshGirl

This did get me interested in an inflatable kayak, but I try to avoid Made in China as much as possible, especially when my and (possibly) my dog's safety are involved.

Are there any brands not made in China? And how safe would this be for a well-trained dog? I assume booties would be required (for the dog).

ETA: I can't find an inflatable one made in the US, but I did find some nice regular fishing kayaks made in the US: http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/fishing/

ROGETRAY


quality posts: 175 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

charliecarroll wrote:Sea Eagle SE 330 Pro Kayak Package - Prices Compared

Today on WOOT = $219.99 + $5 shipping = Total = $224.99

ebay = $299.99 + ships free
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Sea-Eagle-SE-330-Sport-PRO-Package-Inflatable-Boat-11-2-Kayak-/110888178333#vi-content

LiveWell Sports = $299.00 + Ships free
http://livewellsports.com/sea-eagle-se-330-11-2-pro-kayak-package-inflatable-sport-kayak?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=free_cpc&utm_campaign=datafeed&gclid=CNDH1r7O-7MCFQsGnQodjyEAMg

Bass Pro Shops = $249.99 + ships free if you use PROMO CODE PRESENT
http://www.basspro.com/Sea-Eagle-330-Sport-Kayak-Deluxe-Package/product/101215/

***WOOT offers the best deal by $25.00***

***NOTE:
Above pricing and vendors came from a random Google search with the intent to find a fair, "apples to apples" comparison. Your own search may find different and/or lower prices.


[MOD EDIT: The link for Bass Pro Shop ($249.99) is actually for the Deluxe package, not the Pro package being sold here on Woot]



Correction: The link for Bass Pro Shop ($249.99) is actually for the Deluxe package, not the Pro package being sold here on Woot

davehk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages davehk
cecilhoge wrote:Respectfully, I disagree. Also, we did not move to China to increase our margin. We moved because our Italian supplier went out of business and their were no equal quality factories in Europe.

In any case, the special formula PVC we now use is superior, not inferior, producing stronger welding, more resistance to punctures and tears. Yes, I accept my marketing did increase sales, but if you are right, as we sold more products, we should have experienced more defects and quality complaints. That did happen - complaints and defects went down as a percentage of sales.

I am quite proud ...



Good job. There's always going to be customers with an axe to grind. I think the responses you've offered to people's complaints have been courteous and forthright.

bradjones06


quality posts: 0 Private Messages bradjones06
ThatPoshGirl wrote:This did get me interested in an inflatable kayak, but I try to avoid Made in China as much as possible, especially when my and (possibly) my dog's safety are involved.

Are there any brands not made in China? And how safe would this be for a well-trained dog? I assume booties would be required (for the dog).

ETA: I can't find an inflatable one made in the US, but I did find some nice regular fishing kayaks made in the US: http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/kayaks/fishing/



I see no reason why a well behaved dog could not ride in the kayak. They also make PFDs for dogs and many have good reviews. I don't see the need for booties. I would put a sheet of closed cell foam on the deck of the Sea Eagle to keep the dog from getting wet from inevitable water on the bottom and to protect against abrasions from the claws.

This is certainly not the most stable kayak in the world, but it is more than sufficient for recreational kayaking with a four legged friend. You can't beat it for the price, I've tried.

jhoff909


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhoff909

Me thinks I'm going to buy one of these from Woot and one of the 370s from Costco and swap one of the seats. We have two kids (7 and 11) and I suspect the regular seats will be fine for them...

n3rv19


quality posts: 2 Private Messages n3rv19

Thank you Woot! I've been patiently waiting for these to make another appearance since I missed them in July!! A bit too late to use it this year, but I guess I can wait to enjoy it in the Spring.

roesing


quality posts: 0 Private Messages roesing

I'm going to West Africa next year for a two-year assignment, and wondering whether this would be a good buy. I keep thinking that an inflatable kayak is risky, and I'll wind up in the river after running over some rocks or submerged trees.

But then I think, if an inflatable kayak is so flimsy that people wind up in the water all the time, they probably wouldn't keep selling such a faulty product.

But then I think, maybe people are only using these on very calm lakes, with no danger of submerged trees or rocks tearing the kayak.

But then I think...well, what do you think? Does anyone have an inflatable kayak, and might be willing to talk about how tough they are? Thanks!