1%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Sorry for the problems some of you are having with the sites. The Developers are working hard to get things working for everyone.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

iissurf

quality posts: 25 Private Messages iissurf

TT,

Do both of these watches include a chest heart rate monitor or just the 405?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

iissurf wrote:TT,

Do both of these watches include a chest heart rate monitor or just the 405?

Yes, both come with the chest strap heart rate monitor. The vendor did not have a photo showing the 410 with the strap.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jamesbottomtooth

quality posts: 41 Private Messages jamesbottomtooth

according to some amazon reviews, 410 is better than 405. (by 5, i suppose)

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-GPS-Enabled-Sports-Monitor/dp/B0046BTK14/ref=pd_sim_e_1

since it has GPS, does it tell you altitude?

what about any basic navigation like coordinates or heading or simple waypoints?

iissurf

jamesbottomtooth wrote:according to some amazon reviews, 410 is better than 405. (by 5, i suppose)

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-GPS-Enabled-Sports-Monitor/dp/B0046BTK14/ref=pd_sim_e_1

what about any basic navigation like coordinates or heading or simple waypoints?

From my experience, the GPS on the watches like this only store traveled waypoints so you can log your runs/walks/bike rides on their system.

iissurf

ThunderThighs wrote:Yes, both come with the chest strap heart rate monitor. The vendor did not have a photo showing the 410 with the strap.

No worries, thank you!

sky8woot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sky8woot

Was the chest strap used by someone and then refurbished somehow or it is new?

fevans1980

quality posts: 6 Private Messages fevans1980

I have the 305, and it does altitude quite nicely. The only drawback - and it's a huge one - is that I can't run without it anymore. I am now a slave to mile splits.

jamesbottomtooth wrote:according to some amazon reviews, 410 is better than 405. (by 5, i suppose)

DevilDog2025

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DevilDog2025

I use the 405 for marathon training. It does give you elevation. You can customize 3 screens that display up to 3 data fields each. You can save waypoints on the watch if your standing at the spot you want to save, but you can input waypoints or coordinates. The watch does not display any maps. It does sync with Garmin connect which gives you a lot of data, this is from a recent race: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/240207252

I love mine for running since I get pacing and distance feedback in real time. If your looking for a GPS for Geocaching and if waypoints are important to you then you probably should look at something like the Garmin Rino.

giorgitd

quality posts: 1 Private Messages giorgitd

Altitude on these devices is generated by GPS, not using a barometric sensor. What does that mean? While using it, altitude data isn't super accurate and prone to fluctuations. But, if you download your data using Garmin Connect, you can tick an option that generates altitude data based on GPS coordinates mapped onto topographical data - MUCH more accurate, but not 'real-time'.

Without a doubt, the best review is by DC Rainmaker, here, for the 410:
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/01/garmin-forerunner-410-in-depth-review.html

He has a 405CX review, too, but I leave that as an exercise for the reader...

wiav8or

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wiav8or

I've owned the forerunner 201, 305, 405, 405CX, and (when it gets here) a 410 (thanks WOOT!).

The 405 can be tricky. So, if you're not tech savvy, you may be very frustrated with this watch. If you are patient and follow both the instructions and what others blog about, both of these watches will help you run more informed than you ever imagined. Pace, distance, heart rate, training functions, calories and more are at your fingertips and on your computer. If a marathon, half marathon are in your future, you should consider these watches.

merkyl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merkyl

I love the Garmin Forerunner - but so many in my running group (my husband included) have had trouble with the 405. The band on the 410 is prone to breaking. I've had the 110 and the 210. Not as fancy - but never had a problem with them!

zoemoppett1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zoemoppett1

I wouldn't buy this model, they have discontinued it for a reason. I have had the 405 CX and wouldn't buy it again, it is so flaky. The chest strap is junk, they have a premium one that is way better. This is not a bargain.

timothylover

quality posts: 0 Private Messages timothylover

Does the 410 include the Premium heart rate monitor as other vendors do or just the regular strap like pictured for the 405?

outdoorguy27

quality posts: 6 Private Messages outdoorguy27
timothylover wrote:Does the 410 include the Premium heart rate monitor as other vendors do or just the regular strap like pictured for the 405?

The Forerunner 410 includes the premium soft strap heart rate monitor, which is an upgrade from the 405CX chest strap.
This is shown on the Garmin site: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=83274&pvID=83703

arismella

quality posts: 16 Private Messages arismella

Man, this is a great buy, and if you're a runner or a beginning-runner looking for some gear to take your training to the next level, this is that piece of gear.

This is already coming across preachy, so forgive me -- I just love my Forerunner 305 and this deal is making me a little giddy.

In case anyone is wondering what type of data these units record, you should check out the Garmin Connect site. Here's data from a recent run I did with two Woot buddies. The Garmin software for your PC shows a bit more, but I'm a big fan of TrialRunner for Mac OS if you really want to nerd out.

Why is this different from using your iPhone and some running app? Battery life, durability, water resistance, and programmable features. Not to mention you won't be taking your iPhone with you on that next tri, right?

And finally, one note on the programmable courses -- It's really easy to set up an interval run on the computer and transfer the "program" to your watch. For example, you can set the watch to start with a ten minute warmup at an easier pace, warning you if you go above or below some set pace window (e.g. faster than 10:00 min/mile, slower than 15:00 min/mile) then it will countdown the last few seconds of your warm-up and prompt you with the further instructions. Let's say one mile, no set pace. Then set up six sets of 100 meter strides with 400 meter walks in between... Basically, this is invaluable if you're doing some crazy training plan that has you running weird distances at different speeds, and you hate the treadmill.

(And who doesn't hate the treadmill?)

arismella

quality posts: 16 Private Messages arismella

PS -- My 305 is set to record a "lap" at mile splits, but you can manually hit the lap button to split at any point. I also have mine set to pause itself when I'm stationary and un-pause when I'm moving, so when I'm running with the dog and he decides to drop a D, the timer stops. Lots of fun features to personalize if you look for 'em.

manichawk

quality posts: 2 Private Messages manichawk

Been using my 405cx for ages now, and the only cons I have with it are that it can take several minutes to get a solid lock, and that the touch bezel can be a PITA to use, esp when your hands are wet/sweaty. Otherwise it's a solid performer (and the premium chest strap is *far* superior to the normal).

ashellris

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ashellris

Opinions are very much appreciated!

My boyfriend is a (marathon) runner and asked for the Forerunner 110 for Xmas; I'm thinking because of price point. However, the 410 has some more fancy bells and whistles, wireless data trans, etc. etc.

Looking for some direction on whether or not to just get a new Forerunner 110;
Break down and try to find a "reasonably priced" new Forerunner 410;
or is this 410 refurb in fact a spectacular deal and the difference in appearance and function won't be too noticeable (new vs. used)?

merkyl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages merkyl
ashellris wrote:Opinions are very much appreciated!

My boyfriend is a (marathon) runner and asked for the Forerunner 110 for Xmas; I'm thinking because of price point. However, the 410 has some more fancy bells and whistles, wireless data trans, etc. etc.

or is this 410 refurb in fact a spectacular deal and the difference in appearance and function won't be too noticeable (new vs. used)?

In my opinion (for what its worth!) there are more bells and whistles than you end up really using. The wireless data transmission is nice - but it's really not a problem to attach the 110 to the USB cord and download the data. The 210 is much the same as the 110 with the added feature of interval training/beeps. If he asked for a 110 - I would go for the 210!

riddley

quality posts: 0 Private Messages riddley

On the 410 - does the GPS work indoors? I use an indoor track at a community gym. It isn't a concrete bunker but is enclosed. I can get FM radio reception on my MP3 player if that helps.

scarlettesong

quality posts: 3 Private Messages scarlettesong
ashellris wrote:Opinions are very much appreciated!

I highly highly HIGHLY suggest going to http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ first and look at his product reviews. He gives thorough reviews of ALL of those. I was also looking at the Forerunner 110, but after reading his review, I bumped up to the 210 so I could also use it while biking too (110 ONLY works for running.) I'm NOT a hardcore runner and don't want to be doing it everyday, but I also don't need all the frills of most GPS watches.

It's interesting to note that DC Rainmaker says the 110 and 210 are intended to be simpler to understand and very basic models. You won't get all the cool stuff the others do. However, since your boyfriend is a marathon runner, he may prefer all those options! Also, I think it is important he gets a GPS watch that is good for more than just running because cross-training is very important to marathon training. Your boyfriend may find himself biking and swimming more often than not.

Just my 50 cents, but go read his reviews! They are amazingly thorough!

Roostalee

quality posts: 26 Private Messages Roostalee
giorgitd wrote:Altitude on these devices is generated by GPS, not using a barometric sensor. What does that mean? While using it, altitude data isn't super accurate and prone to fluctuations. But, if you download your data using Garmin Connect, you can tick an option that generates altitude data based on GPS coordinates mapped onto topographical data - MUCH more accurate, but not 'real-time'.

Same goes for the cycling GPS units. I have the Edge 305 and 705, and get wild altitude readings that I just ignore (I live in Texas, so it's mostly flat anyway). But when I upload the data, the results are merged with map data (I guess) and I get nice, flowing line graphs of altitude changes.

That's where these units shine--when you upload and view the data. When I do century rides, it's always fun to see how fast I'm going on specific data points, and I can usually determine where I've bonked and start making rest stops. Fun stuff, even if you're not a training athlete.

Potrzebie!

jvspencer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jvspencer

I have used the 305 for a long time and really like it. I found that the Sports Tracks software from Zone 5 Software is a free trial download that is superior to what came with my forerunner 305 http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/sporttracks/

Also a lot of my running friends use www.runningahead.com for the upload capabilities there.