5%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

icyftw

quality posts: 1 Private Messages icyftw

Is this the right picture? the description claims the bike has disc brakes but the picture shows rim brakes...

Edit: Seems like the pictures are from the Trace, not the Trace Sport by looking at the diamondback website (former has disc mounts but rim brakes while latter comes with some basic disc brakes) (also the name is Trace Sport if anyone wants to google it - page for presumably 2013 model is http://www.diamondback.com/trace-sport-mountain-dual-sport (whats being sold is 2012))

Certainly a step up from the walmart/target/etc. junk.

ScottyP5947

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ScottyP5947

Is this a decent bike?! I've been considering a bike for a bit...

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster
ScottyP5947 wrote:Is this a decent bike?! I've been considering a bike for a bit...

Yes, it's decent enough. I'd recommend taking it to a bike shop for assembly and tuning if you aren't mechanically inclined. Even if you are, a good shop will do certain adjustments that require special tools.

micaelaanna

quality posts: 14 Private Messages micaelaanna
icyftw wrote:Is this the right picture? the description claims the bike has disc brakes but the picture shows rim brakes...

Edit: Seems like the pictures are from the Trace, not the Trace Sport by looking at the diamondback website (former has disc mounts but rim brakes while latter comes with some basic disc brakes) (also the name is Trace Sport if anyone wants to google it - page for presumably 2013 model is http://www.diamondback.com/trace-sport-mountain-dual-sport (whats being sold is 2012))

Certainly a step up from the walmart/target/etc. junk.

So does that mean it has disc brakes or rim brakes then??

EDIT: Brakes--Tektro Novela Disc w/ 6" Rotors

xanbo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages xanbo
icyftw wrote:Is this the right picture? the description claims the bike has disc brakes but the picture shows rim brakes...

It says it has a disc break mount, not a disc break. What you see is what you get.

escalante

quality posts: 8 Private Messages escalante

I just bought this bike from Amazon last month. I have only ridden it a few times but I like it a lot. Seems like a very nice bike for the money. I am very happy with the purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NXMJR6/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

The bike comes with 9 different pamphlets/manuals/instructions and of those 9 items, 6 are of different sizes. Makes for great reading (sarcasm) and easy paper storage (sarcasm). I am always amazed how complex and numerous the manuals are these days.

The bike is suppose to come from the factory pre-assembled then a few items quickly disassembled for shipping. But I found almost everything needed tuning, including truing the wheels.

Edit: It does not have disk brakes (but the brakes work VERY well, i had to get used to how fast it will stop me).

I am 6'2", 34" inseam at 180 pounds and i went with the XL. Fits me well.

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster
escalante wrote:
The bike comes with 9 different pamphlets/manuals/instructions and of those 9 items, 6 are of different sizes. Makes for great reading (sarcasm) and easy paper storage (sarcasm). I am always amazed how complex and numerous the manuals are these days.

It's because bicycles are made from an amalgam of parts not made by the manufacturer. The only part Diamond Back makes is the frame...and they probably just contract the frame assembly out to a factory that also builds other name brands. DB prints the big generic manual, and then throws in the Shimano, Sun Tour, Tekro, and other manuals into the box.

kato

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kato

The specs shown are probably wrong. They're for 2013 Dual Sport Trace Sport. I think what you'll get will be this bike (2012 Dual Sport Trace). No Deore components, no discs. It has 700c wheels (more of road wheel) with linear pull brakes.

http://www.diamondback.com/dual-sport_2012-trace

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kato wrote:The specs shown are probably wrong. They're for 2013 Dual Sport Trace Sport. I think what you'll get will be this bike (2012 Dual Sport Trace). No Deore components, no discs. It has 700c wheels (more of road wheel) with linear pull brakes.

http://www.diamondback.com/dual-sport_2012-trace

The specs are fixed. If you ordered before this fix and want to change your order, email support@woot.com.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

wootflylo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages wootflylo

It is a 2012 as listed, so nowhere as nice as the 2013.

ThunderThighs wrote:Checking.

wootsmittywoot

quality posts: 3 Private Messages wootsmittywoot

How do you pick the right size ?

robio

quality posts: 41 Private Messages robio
wootsmittywoot wrote:How do you pick the right size ?

I wondered the same thing. Found this through the googles:

http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtoride/a/hybrid_sizing.htm

Based on description, I'm assuming this is considered a hybrid, and that chart is correct.

Serious bikers, how am I doing, and what do you say if I'm smack between L and XL on this chart: 6'1", 34" inseam. Seems like XL is the way to go, but I don't want to end up on my tippy toes at stoplights in order to protect the giblets. Advice?

deg10204

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deg10204

If you want to see what size you need:
http://www.diamondback.com/trace-sport-mountain-dual-sport

Dave

scott4381

quality posts: 2 Private Messages scott4381

I'm really confused on the sizing on these things.. I did some research and found that the 22" probably would be the best for me. But why does Walmart etc. size their bikes by the wheel diameter (e.g. 26", 28") and not the frame size like this one is? Anyone know what the wheel diameter is on this bike? Thanks!

peterjmatt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages peterjmatt
robio wrote:I wondered the same thing. Found this through the googles:

http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtoride/a/hybrid_sizing.htm

Based on description, I'm assuming this is considered a hybrid, and that chart is correct.

Serious bikers, how am I doing, and what do you say if I'm smack between L and XL on this chart: 6'1", 34" inseam. Seems like XL is the way to go, but I don't want to end up on my tippy toes at stoplights in order to protect the giblets. Advice?

Looks like the fit calculator on the Diamondback webpage recommends a large: http://www.diamondback.com/2012-trace#_fit-calculator-next.

I'd probably play it safe. If you find it's a little cramped you can always buy a different stem later to fine tune the fit.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 547 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Make sure you check out the daily deal on http://pop.woot.com/ as well as the great Plus deals.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

grtgrfx

quality posts: 6 Private Messages grtgrfx

I have a steel mountain bike now, and it's heavy. Anyone know the approximate weight ranges for this bike, esp. the XL?

shezams

quality posts: 2 Private Messages shezams

I own an older model of this bike and for the money they are offering it here it is a great deal. It is a nice bike for commuting and for recreational riding.700C wheels are the same diameter as what they call 29". This is not a true mountain bike mainly because the fork is not up to serious off road. It isn't too heavy, and it is nice looking, so if you commute learn correct use of a U lock. For this price and even with what you may pay for the local bike shop to go over it, if you need a bike go for it. If you are between sizes it is best to size down.

dpwellman

quality posts: 7 Private Messages dpwellman
wootsmittywoot wrote:How do you pick the right size ?

Use the fit calculator on the product web page.
http://www.diamondback.com/2012-trace

Should give a general idea. Generally, however, it's sometimes not too bad to go a size down (or even sometimes a size up).

Many cyclists (adhering to the N+1 rule) ride a range of sizes anyway.

If you REALLY want to be sure, you can go to a Local Bike Shop (LBS) for a fitting, but those can sometimes cost, depending on the system used.

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

dpwellman

grtgrfx wrote:I have a steel mountain bike now, and it's heavy. Anyone know the approximate weight ranges for this bike, esp. the XL?

Amazon page quotes shipping weight of 25 pounds. For this setup, however, I would have expect around 30 - 32 lbs for the complete bike. EDIT: Although, I would if I really had to guess, I'd guess right at 28. . . about the same as the Insight, but add a suspension fork and wider (read: heavier). tires.

Entry level hybrids and 29ers are not the domain of weight weeinies, anyway. Besides, like we always say: it's the rider, not the bike.

What's the point of a signature? Everyone can see who wrote this, over there, to the left.

dpwellman

scott4381 wrote: But why does Walmart etc. size their bikes by the wheel diameter (e.g. 26", 28") and not the frame size like this one is? Anyone know what the wheel diameter is on this bike? Thanks!

Walmart and other "big box" stores: Generally sell the same size frame for all bikes so the only differing characteristic is wheel size: which, is fine (and pretty much the standard for children and youth bikes).

Wheel size on this particular beast is 700c. This is basically the standard "road" rim diameter and corresponds, as pointed out previously, to roughly a " 29" " wheel size when including tire height.

For more than you ever wanted to know about Tire sizing, As Always, Sheldon Brown Has The Answer: http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

bigshady42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigshady42

They have this on Amazon for $589.00 This is a great deal.I just ordered one for myself.

lantzrx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lantzrx

I was ready to pull the trigger on this deal, then I noticed that it's not being offered in large. Bummer.

dfunkmaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfunkmaster

Seems like a really good deal. I want. Wonder how much my local bike shop would charge to put it together and tune. Anyone have an estimate? Seems fairly easy to put together, but I'd rather have the experts do it and tune as well.

dmworthington

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dmworthington

I'm thinking about getting this for my son, who is 12, for Christmas. He is 5 feet tall right now. Should I get the small or the medium for him?

alaskaflyer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alaskaflyer
dmworthington wrote:I'm thinking about getting this for my son, who is 12, for Christmas. He is 5 feet tall right now. Should I get the small or the medium for him?

Small!

bossusa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bossusa
alaskaflyer wrote:Small!

I am 5'6 and 160 lbs, should I go with XL?

thanks

dfunkmaster

quality posts: 4 Private Messages dfunkmaster
bossusa wrote:I am 5'6 and 160 lbs, should I go with XL?

thanks

I'm about your size, an inch taller and few lbs heavier, and I was thinking about the Medium...

khadaji

quality posts: 4 Private Messages khadaji

Sorry if I missed this, but does this have lock out suspension? Thanks.

Lostinservice

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lostinservice

I've always found it absurd when manufacturers stick 700c wheels on the front of 16" frames. No one under 5'7" should be riding on 700c wheels, they should have 26" or 24" front wheels, otherwise the frame construction and design suffers and just looks terrible. In addition it's just plain uncomfortable/impossible for the rider to maneuver properly at low speeds (when most accidents occur).

I'd stay away from the small sized version of this bike, and maybe even the medium because frames that size and riders who fit those frames should not be on 700c wheels.

nnnn32125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nnnn32125

I'm 6'1", should I buy an XL or would this be a tad too big for me?

Nasty73Z

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Nasty73Z

I have built many of these at a bike shop I used to work at. It's a good quality bike, much better than any walmart or target frame. Great buy at $250. However I would pay to have it professionally assembled which should cost $50-100. Happy Turkey Day!

nnnn32125

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nnnn32125
nnnn32125 wrote:I'm 6'1", should I buy an XL or would this be a tad too big for me?

Anyone ? Hehe I'm anxious

escalante

dfunkmaster wrote:Seems like a really good deal. I want. Wonder how much my local bike shop would charge to put it together and tune. Anyone have an estimate? Seems fairly easy to put together, but I'd rather have the experts do it and tune as well.

I have always repaired/tuned my own bikes. But getting older and the fact that this bike came with all those pamplets/manuals/etc to read and right off i could see the wheels needed truing, i ended up taking it to a bike shop. Glad i did, it cost me $60.

escalante

robio wrote:

I am 6'2", 34" inseam at 180 pounds and i went with the XL. Fits me well. But my old bike was just a Large and it worked too.

MarkES

quality posts: 4 Private Messages MarkES

Personally I think standover height is more important for comfort and safety. Ideally you want to be able to stand flat footed on the ground with just a bit of space between you and the top bar, so measure your inseam. Standover height is going to be variable on different bikes depending on frame style and wheel size. I'm 5'8" and prefer a standover height of around 29 1/2" to 30" I've got different bikes with frame sizes between 16" and 20" that will give me that.

populuxe

quality posts: 3 Private Messages populuxe
nnnn32125 wrote:Anyone ? Hehe I'm anxious

have you used the diamond back size calculator? I'm 5,4" 180 and in-seam 28. Says I am between large and xl
Am I doing something wrong?

flyswatter

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flyswatter
populuxe wrote:have you used the diamond back size calculator? I'm 5,4" 180 and in-seam 28. Says I am between large and xl
Am I doing something wrong?

You're a small. Just take my word for it. I'm 5-5 with a 30" inseam, and a 16 inch frame (small, and which I've previously owned) is my size.

flyswatter

quality posts: 3 Private Messages flyswatter
nnnn32125 wrote:I'm 6'1", should I buy an XL or would this be a tad too big for me?

Based soley on your height, it looks like you're right on the edge between LG and XL. As previously suggested, check the link below and use your height (in inches) and inseam to check their recommendation, then decide.

http://www.diamondback.com/2012-trace