WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Wooden Gun Cabinets For The Sophisticated Rifler

The Second Amendment protects the right to bear ARMS -- plural. In abidance with this clause, you've gone and got yourself a smattering of firearms, and need a secure, space-saving way to present them. Enter these handsome gun cabinets.
Dawson Heritage Furniture official site

Quality Posts

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz

Keep it locked up and safe. Which of these suits your style best?

I'm just hanging out, really.

jlcharles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlcharles

A gun rack... a gun rack. I don't even own *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do with a gun rack?

Mogar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mogar
jlcharles wrote:A gun rack... a gun rack. I don't even own *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do with a gun rack?

ACK! I figured I could beat you two it when there was only 2 comments up... fast hands.

Symbolic2007

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Symbolic2007

Actually, I built a pretty nice gun rack in high school shop class, and it works perfectly as a sword display! Been using it for that purpose for over a decade.

Metal is awesome, it's super-powerful and emotional, but at the end of the day we're dudes with long hair and guitars going "RAAAAAR!" -Devin Townsend

chknchkr

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chknchkr
jlcharles wrote:A gun rack... a gun rack. I don't even own *a* gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack. What am I gonna do with a gun rack?

Woot needs to start selling guns

jakeiscrazy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jakeiscrazy

Pretty good prices, here is my trouble. I have a gun rack and its full. Should a buy yet another gun rack before I buy my next gun? I think so........

PS: Really you should buy a gun SAFE or at least have an alarm system.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
Symbolic2007 wrote:Actually, I built a pretty nice gun rack in high school shop class, and it works perfectly as a sword display! Been using it for that purpose for over a decade.

Nice alternate use!

I'm just hanging out, really.

polkmc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages polkmc

Weight just a minute. As an ex-professional mover, I would really like to know how much this thing weighs before considering a purchase.

On another note: $5 to ship this thing is a steel.

skrutinizr

quality posts: 8 Private Messages skrutinizr

Those metal gun cabinets are minimal security, but they can (and should) be bolted to the floor and wall. If you aren't home and someone has time, they'll get in if they are determined. A gun safe is more expensive and harder to force open. These cabinets will give in to a hammer in about two minutes.

huskykma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages huskykma

Gives you a good reason to buy some guns!!! I've heard of people building a new gun just becaue they had an extra grip laying around unused.

kschom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kschom

i dont think any of these prices are a good deal of you have a sam's club membership

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/searchResults.jsp?searchCategoryId=all&searchTerm=gun+cabinet&fromHome=no&_requestid=36426

kschom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kschom
kschom wrote:i dont think any of these prices are a good deal of you have a sam's club membership

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/search/searchResults.jsp?searchCategoryId=all&searchTerm=gun+cabinet&fromHome=no&_requestid=36426

although adding shipping and tax in makes prices pretty comparable.

ckeilah

quality posts: 149 Private Messages ckeilah

Will this mount in the back window of my truck?

Please do not increment my Quality Posts count. 69 is a good place to be. ;-)
MOD: We had to...we just HAD TO...

charast

quality posts: 0 Private Messages charast

I would like to know if the 916 has the electronic lock. the description states that it does but the picture shows a standard key lock. hmmmmm

rjsdad

quality posts: 1 Private Messages rjsdad
chknchkr wrote:Woot needs to start selling guns

They already are too scared to ship a small non-assisted opening 2" knife to the people's republic of NY, can you imagine what would happen if they sold firearms?

No more woot sales to NY, NJ, CT, MA, CA, IL, DC.

kane968

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kane968
huskykma wrote:Gives you a good reason to buy some guns!!! I've heard of people building a new gun just becaue they had an extra grip laying around unused.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105793/quotes

knerr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knerr

These cabinets will generally keep your firearms out of reach of children, but there is little you can do to protect them from a determined criminal. Serious thieves don't break into safes, they put a gun to your head (or your SO's) and tell you to open it for them. But, we all know that felons just buy their guns at their local sporting goods store like everyone else, so I wouldn't worry too much. Shouldn't there be a law against that, BTW?

danielandthelions

quality posts: 0 Private Messages danielandthelions
knerr wrote:These cabinets will generally keep your firearms out of reach of children, but there is little you can do to protect them from a determined criminal. Serious thieves don't break into safes, they put a gun to your head (or your SO's) and tell you to open it for them. But, we all know that felons just buy their guns at their local sporting goods store like everyone else, so I wouldn't worry too much. Shouldn't there be a law against that, BTW?

I have the sudden urge to start a slow clap as we applaud you off the stage. Bravo, sir.

jrtbarber

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrtbarber

how would the rack handle an over/under shotgun?

lcanady1982

quality posts: 1 Private Messages lcanady1982

Is there any more infomation on shipping? The metal cabinets are very heavy, will the shipping be placing this where I want it in my house?

philosopherott

quality posts: 3 Private Messages philosopherott

The idea of woot selling guns is not new. I have brought it up for discussion at least twice on Deals.

Here is the last discussion.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 589 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lcanady1982 wrote:Is there any more infomation on shipping? The metal cabinets are very heavy, will the shipping be placing this where I want it in my house?

These are being shipped FedEx so you'll be positioning it yourself. The good news though is that it's under FedEx's weight limit.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

lotsofgoats

quality posts: 3 Private Messages lotsofgoats
jrtbarber wrote:how would the rack handle an over/under shotgun?

The same way it would handle any other gun that fits on the rack. It's not like gravity works any differently because of a slight change in shape.

charliecarroll

quality posts: 105 Private Messages charliecarroll
rjsdad wrote:They already are too scared to ship a small non-assisted opening 2" knife to the people's republic of NY, can you imagine what would happen if they sold firearms?

No more woot sales to NY, NJ, CT, MA, CA, IL, DC.

It would probably be better served for the people in these states and cities to raise H*ll with or better yet get rid of those in power that support the unreasonable and proven unsuccessful laws to begin with.

The people at Woot are not the problem. Politicians like Bloomberg, Pelosi, Feinstein, etc, etc, etc, are the problem.

charliecarroll

knerr wrote:These cabinets will generally keep your firearms out of reach of children, but there is little you can do to protect them from a determined criminal. Serious thieves don't break into safes, they put a gun to your head (or your SO's) and tell you to open it for them. But, we all know that felons just buy their guns at their local sporting goods store like everyone else, so I wouldn't worry too much. Shouldn't there be a law against that, BTW?

Certainly you jest? Anyone with an IQ of double digits (that's right a 10 or higher) can figure out, "when you out law guns, only outlaws will have guns!" Criminals do not care about laws so when the libterds get their way and ban gun sales in an area the only people that obey the law are the good guys. You know, those that are not criminals. The criminals don't obey the laws and they get them through theft or on the black market. Or even from the US Government in a case like "Fast and Furious". It is when the criminal has a gun and you don't that you are assured to be a victim. As to your scenario, I live in a state that the politicians (majority) have not infringed on my constitutional right to "keep and bare arms". They have even taken steps in order to help me prevent becoming a victim. For years we have had the right to "open carry" (carry in plain sight) a weapon. Back in the 90's we gained the right, with specific training, qualifying on a range and a background check to conceal carry. We just lately became a state that has the "castle doctrine". The latter addressing your scenario rather well. If someone is trying to forcibly make way in to my home or vehicle or, if they have done the same, they do not get the chance to put a gun to my head as you would suggest. Here, we take them out where they stand. It is their bad to break in and if we choose, they may pay the ultimate price for doing so. Beats H*ll out of the victim scenario. We here feel much more free as we are allowed some rights and they are not all given to the bad guys.

charliecarroll

Gun Cabinets vs Gun Safes

Two of the gun cabinets offered are all metal and have no glass and may appear to be gun safes. They are not and they have not been advertised as such. They are just as stated, gun cabinets.

A gun safe is much heavier and of course much stronger. Working your way into a true and quality gun safe is not going to be something your night burglar will be doing. Also, because of weight, he or they are not going to be carrying it off either. My gun safe is not bolted to the floor or wall. It is around 800 lbs and it took five adults and the removal of a door off the hinges to get it in. There is no quick or quiet way to get it out. This does not make the metal gun cabinet a bad choice. It would be harder for a curious person (kids) to get in and it would hamper a thief more than a cabinet with a glass front but, it could still be pried open with a pry bar and a little effort.

The question was asked about delivery method. If it were a safe the only method for delivery is freight. They get it to your home and it is up to you to get it off the truck and where you want it. These cabinets do not have the weight of a safe and you can get them standard delivery and that is why Woot can do the $5 deal, which is still a very low price to pay for delivery. One person asked if the delivery person would put it where they wanted it. Well, they only have to get it to your door so be thinking, 'nice tip' and they may help.

More Info and Price Comparisons

American Furniture Classics 910 10-Gun Metal Cabinet = 73.0 lbs

Today's Woot = $179.00 + $5 shipping

Walmart = $179.00 + free in store pickup or free home shipping. *saves $5 (ship cost) under Woot total.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/American-Furniture-Classics-Woodmark-10-Gun-Cabinet-in-Black/10298893#rr

Amazon = $179.00 + free shipping. *saves $5 (ship cost) under Woot total
http://www.amazon.com/American-Furniture-Classics-910-Cabinet/dp/B002E3BQ1S

One Way Furniture = $249.00 + free shippiing
http://www.onewayfurniture.com/dawson-gun-cabinet-910.html

Overstock = $235.99 + shipping
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/American-Furniture-Classics-910-Woodmark-Series-10-gun-Cabinet/4656714/product.html

American Furniture Classics 916 16-Gun Metal Cabinet with Storage = 110 lbs

Today's Woot = $229.00 + $5 shipping

Sam's Club = $188.24 + $18.38 shipping (To NC shipping may not be the same to you) **also requires Sam's Club paid memebership
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/woodmark-series-16-gun-metal-cabinet/prod1230162.ip?refcd=GL05251200010039&pid=_CSE_Google_PLA_Recreation-&-Outdoor-Play&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=sku976760S

Overstock.com = $269.99 + shipping (amount unspecified)
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/16-Gun-Metal-Cabinet-with-Storage/6369494/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}

Sears = $264.99 ships free
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00601629000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kispla=00601629000P&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=32-195127455-2

**note**
On the 16-Gun Metal Cabinet Woot has the best price open to all. There can be a savings at Sam's Club if you are already a paid up member. If not a member, Sam's price plus the price of membership exceeds Woot's total.

benjamis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages benjamis
charliecarroll wrote:Gun Cabinets vs Gun Safes

Two of the gun cabinets offered are all metal and have no glass and may appear to be gun safes. They are not and they have not been advertised as such. They are just as stated, gun cabinets.

A gun safe is much heavier and of course much stronger. Working your way into a true and quality gun safe is not going to be something your night burglar will be doing. Also, because of weight, he or they are not going to be carrying it off either. My gun safe is not bolted to the floor or wall. It is around 800 lbs and it took five adults and the removal of a door off the hinges to get it in. There is no quick or quiet way to get it out. This does not make the metal gun cabinet a bad choice. It would be harder for a curious person (kids) to get in and it would hamper a thief more than a cabinet with a glass front but, it could still be pried open with a pry bar and a little effort.

Actually, the vast majority of gun safes aren't safes either, rather they are Residential Security Containers (if they have any rating at all). And almost all of the inexpensive (less than a few $k) ones could be penetrated in a few short minutes with an ax and sledgehammer. It might take an hour manipulating the lock, or half an hour going at it with tools, but an ax to the side will open it like a sardine can. These type of safes are useful to keep guns out of unauthorized but innocent hands and smash-and-grab type burglaries, and offer some fire protection.

charliecarroll

benjamis wrote:Actually, the vast majority of gun safes aren't safes either, rather they are Residential Security Containers (if they have any rating at all). And almost all of the inexpensive (less than a few $k) ones could be penetrated in a few short minutes with an ax and sledgehammer. It might take an hour manipulating the lock, or half an hour going at it with tools, but an ax to the side will open it like a sardine can. These type of safes are useful to keep guns out of unauthorized but innocent hands and smash-and-grab type burglaries, and offer some fire protection.

I agree and when I used the term Gun Safe, that is (safe) exactly what I was referring to when I made the comparison. For example, I own a gun safe. But truthfully even though it is rated as a safe like most small safes (as opposed to high security vaults) the strength is in the door and front. The side walls can be penetrated much easier. Not with an axe but if you have the time, a good sized hole drilled to begin with and then probably an hour or so with a good cutting tool. But like I said, when it is in the 800 lb range or more and is made of hardened steel with a true safe door and lock, your local burglar is just not equipped and is too lazy to go through the work and he certainly is not going to run off with it. Mine is made by the Heritage Safe Company and there are several really well made brands to be had as well as easy enough to find. Heritage offers the lower priced end of true rated safes. Your pricing is also practicly correct. However, on the smallest size you can find discounted in the $800 range. The rest are over 1K and can run into several thousands. This was another reason I was pointing out these cabinets were not safes. With that said, they are a very good and affordable way to lock away weapons from children and the like. Also, and certainly they are at least one if not two steps further up the security ladder (as far as theft) from a gun rack of a glass front cabinet. Lastly, they are affordable. As long as the buyer realizes what they are and what they are not, they can be a good investment if only for home safety.

knerr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages knerr

Um, yes. I jest. I'm an FFL holder, actually, and I feel your pain. Sorry, I have a rather dry sense of humor.

charliecarroll wrote:Certainly you jest? Anyone with an IQ of double digits (that's right a 10 or higher) can figure out, "when you out law guns, only outlaws will have guns!" Criminals do not care about laws so when the libterds get their way and ban gun sales in an area the only people that obey the law are the good guys. You know, those that are not criminals. The criminals don't obey the laws and they get them through theft or on the black market. Or even from the US Government in a case like "Fast and Furious". It is when the criminal has a gun and you don't that you are assured to be a victim. As to your scenario, I live in a state that the politicians (majority) have not infringed on my constitutional right to "keep and bare arms". They have even taken steps in order to help me prevent becoming a victim. For years we have had the right to "open carry" (carry in plain sight) a weapon. Back in the 90's we gained the right, with specific training, qualifying on a range and a background check to conceal carry. We just lately became a state that has the "castle doctrine". The latter addressing your scenario rather well. If someone is trying to forcibly make way in to my home or vehicle or, if they have done the same, they do not get the chance to put a gun to my head as you would suggest. Here, we take them out where they stand. It is their bad to break in and if we choose, they may pay the ultimate price for doing so. Beats H*ll out of the victim scenario. We here feel much more free as we are allowed some rights and they are not all given to the bad guys.

renigade4x4

quality posts: 1 Private Messages renigade4x4

LOL send it to me

pgandarde

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pgandarde

True except that felons don't buy their guns at local shops. Most guns used in crime are either stolen or bought on the street illegally. It is virtually impossible for a felon to buy a gun at a dealers shop with the national background check in place.

So ge a safe so your legal guns don't get used in a crime by some dirtbag.

caluth

quality posts: 8 Private Messages caluth

Received my gun cabinet today. I honestly think it should come with a rubber mallet! The metal pieces were warped, all of them! It is also so front heavy when you open the door the whole thing wants to fall forward! I'm going to have to secure it to the wall and or floor just so that I won't have to worry about it falling over. Sadly the worst product I have ever bought from Woot. Would not recommend.