Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Figit090

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Figit090

does it do wheelies?

lonnyzone

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lonnyzone

I have this bike. It is quite heavy and the battery packs are impossible to find. I think Walmart has them for the same price. No deal here.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

lonnyzone wrote:I have this bike. It is quite heavy and the battery packs are impossible to find. I think Walmart has them for the same price. No deal here.

$424 from Walmart

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

NewMaster

quality posts: 16 Private Messages NewMaster

Without the electrics, this is about a $150-200 bike. The motor is probably good for flatish terrain, but if you have anything resembling a hill, forget it...you're pedaling.

tesla33

quality posts: 57 Private Messages tesla33
NewMaster wrote:Without the electrics, this is about a $150-200 bike. The motor is probably good for flatish terrain, but if you have anything resembling a hill, forget it...you're pedaling.

Do you have this bike? If not, as a general rule 450 watts will get you up any legally graded hill, with some pedaling assist needed on the steep ones. Even a 250 watt motor will help a lot, especially with lighter lithium batteries. This bike is a decent deal if you can find better batteries for it - the short lived, cheap, sealed lead-acid (SLA) batteries are its main flaw.

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

tesla33

One thing to think twice about before buying a bike like this online is that there is a significant percentage that get damaged in transit (I just had to send back a much nicer, more expensive Prodeco bike because of shipping damage that didn't even show on the outside of the box). There is also a significant defect rate. So if you can get this for a little more at a local brick and mortar store, do it. Because it's not cheap or easy to return a 60+lb bicycle by freight shipping...

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tesla33 wrote:One thing to think twice about before buying a bike like this online is that there is a significant percentage that get damaged in transit (I just had to send back a much nicer, more expensive Prodeco bike because of shipping damage that didn't even show on the outside of the box). There is also a significant defect rate. So if you can get this for a little more at a local brick and mortar store, do it. Because it's not cheap or easy to return a 60+lb bicycle by freight shipping...

If you receive a damaged item from Woot, contact support@woot.com and they'll work with you to make it right.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

tesla33

Here is a page with accessories and replacement parts, including a $400 lithium battery that should be an improvement. Most people wait until the OEM batteries fail before replacing them with a lithium pack. The best way to extend the life of SLA batteries like this bike has is to never run them empty or even near-empty, always recharge immediately after using them, even for short trips, and top off the charge at least once a month in the off season. Again, though, I have to stress that e-bikes are a gamble, not a Sure Thing...

http://www.electricscooterparts.com/eziptrailzmenselectricbicycleparts.html

zarro

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zarro

Where is it manufactured?

tesla33

zarro wrote:Where is it manufactured?

You can count on the batteries being Chinese. Most e-bikes are either made in China or assembled in the US, using all or mainly Chinese parts. I don't know about this specific bike.

Secunza

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Secunza

Electric bike, it might be the perfect way to keep you overweighted. In fact you can even use it to go to McDonalds.

Lostinservice

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Lostinservice

Remember kids, operating e-bikes on state roads and city streets is illegal in New York State and although the federal gov't considers <750W ebikes the same as regular bikes, they are subject to state/city laws.

tesla33

Lostinservice wrote:Remember kids, operating e-bikes on state roads and city streets is illegal in New York State and although the federal gov't considers <750W ebikes the same as regular bikes, they are subject to state/city laws.

It isn't as simple as them being illegal here. I've never been bothered while riding sanely in NY, and NYC has a large E-bike dealer. They are also legal for federally funded trail systems.

Bottom line: it depends on whether or not the police where you want to ride it are Jerks or not. Think of riding one of these on the street in New York State as "Jay Riding."

Catkicker

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Catkicker

lead acid batteries are killed by cold. so, take the battery off and take it inside and you'll get much longer use out of it.

tesla33

Catkicker wrote:lead acid batteries are killed by cold. so, take the battery off and take it inside and you'll get much longer use out of it.

More accurately, they don't perform as well in the cold, so storing them inside will give you better range in Winter. As long as they are charged, they will withstand the cold. Still, if you can keep them in a safe place indoors, by all means do so.

cherman1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages cherman1

Battery 200 cycles - if your not suppose to fully discharge the battery does that mean may at best you need a new one after 6-7 months of daily use

tesla33

Best price I see for the lithium pack is about $340, with shipping.

http://www.thesuperkids.com/24vormblibap.html

CompanyClerk

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CompanyClerk
cherman1 wrote:Battery 200 cycles - if your not suppose to fully discharge the battery does that mean may at best you need a new one after 6-7 months of daily use

I was waiting for someone to notice that... Here in Florida, cyclists ride 300 days a year. Me, I am a wuss and get in only 200 days of honest pedaling. This bike could help on those windy days... But still, buying a new battery pack every year...! The prices other wooters have shown here tells me that it would be at least $200 a year for batteries. For $795 new, you can buy a scooter that gets 80+ mpg.

tesla33

CompanyClerk wrote:I was waiting for someone to notice that... Here in Florida, cyclists ride 300 days a year. Me, I am a wuss and get in only 200 days of honest pedaling. This bike could help on those windy days... But still, buying a new battery pack every year...! The prices other wooters have shown here tells me that it would be at least $200 a year for batteries. For $795 new, you can buy a scooter that gets 80+ mpg.

If you don't need to ride the equivalent (after pedaling is factored in) of more than about 10 miles at a time, then discharging the batteries less and following the other life-extending techniques I mentioned earlier (like always recharging immediately after use), you should get more than 200 cycles from a non-defective battery pack. The most common figure quoted for SLAs is about 300 cycles. I assume that the 200 figure is based on not abusing the pack but still using 80-90% of it each time. SLAs don't like to be discharged more than 75%, and 60% is even better. Just not using the motor when it isn't needed - like when coasting or going down a grade or hill - will both extend the range and reduce the amount of charge you use per trip.

garyhgaryh

quality posts: 4 Private Messages garyhgaryh

You can get a lithium phosphate battery and go about 20 miles!

I have two of these bike and they are heavy, but they work. I took my bike to work last year. Took me about an hour to get to work. I charge the battery once I get to work and when it's done charging (about 7-8 hrs), I go home.

It's made in China (what's not these days .

Amazon had these a few years ago for $200 once. Missed that deal.

namzaps

quality posts: 6 Private Messages namzaps

Can I use this bike to jump start my Chevy Volt?

-JCH

glubash

quality posts: 11 Private Messages glubash
namzaps wrote:Can I use this bike to jump start my Chevy Volt?

Absolutely Not. The Volt can't handle that much power.

dougers

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dougers

I foresee a lot of these used to hang clothes on if stored in the house or collecting dust in the garage. Sorry, but you'll use less effort riding a non-motorized decent bike. What you're buying here is hope, not a decent bike.

archanoid

quality posts: 0 Private Messages archanoid

So, this is an electric moped, basically. An emoped. For the depressed kid too lazy to cut himself.

ianmcnally02131

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianmcnally02131

I had an Ezip, and they are a decent entry level electric bike.
I found max speed to be about 16 MPH with my 130 LBS. It zips right up to 16 MPH quickly, good torque. The range is exaggerated, I got 10-14 miles when the battery was new. This is an electric assist BIKE
not a moped, and is fun and great for commuting short distances. You can pedal all you want, add energy just for help on the hills and to get up to speed, and you could extend range and get a few more miles out of it. I ride my Ebike daily and no one even notices that my bike is electric on the multi use bike path .It is more quiet than a moped and does not spew smoke.
On the con side the bike is heavy and so is the battery, you need a handy person around to fix it if a wire comes loose which will likely happen with all the abuse a bike takes.

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5
zarro wrote:Where is it manufactured?

More likely than not, China. Most low end bikes are made in China. Higher end stuff is made in Taiwan.

adr5

quality posts: 4 Private Messages adr5
Secunza wrote:Electric bike, it might be the perfect way to keep you overweighted. In fact you can even use it to go to McDonalds.

It's a start.

ssratracer

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ssratracer

Hmmm. I wonder if I can extend the range by strapping a solar panel to my back?

whooven

quality posts: 3 Private Messages whooven
Figit090 wrote:does it do wheelies?

Yes, but not without effort.

lonnyzone wrote:I have this bike. It is quite heavy and the battery packs are impossible...

Heavy, yes. Without using electric power, it will give you a workout.

The SLA batteries can be easily replaced at Batteries Plus for less than $100. They'll even open up the case and solder the connections for you.

Mine sat for a while and stopped working. Support was very helpful, shipping a new control box at no charge (except shipping).

radi0j0hn

quality posts: 95 Private Messages radi0j0hn

Slightly off topic, but since we have bike users here: What is a good bike (non-electric) for a retirement age 6'2" person who weighs around 240 pounds and lives on rural (unpaved) hilly roads??

I know, it's called a CAR, right? But seriously, what's a good choice? And are there eelctric assisted bikes for that person as well?

acpress.com Not cute, but useful.

guppeeh

quality posts: 2 Private Messages guppeeh

I was on that Amazon deal maybe 3 years ago so I will chime in on the eZip:

Pro:
All-in-one multipurpose ebike that works
Relatively affordable
Solid construction
Currie imported a lot of these, thus spare parts galore

Cons:
Heavy as hell (~75lbs, so not going to work for most train commutes or if you're not strong)
SLA battery requires extra care (don't discharge it below 50%, charge it up right away after use, etc)
Not the fastest
Battery support rack may break/fatigue from use

I did modify one of my Ezip to accept 36v and changed the freewheel to get it up to 27mph with heavy pedaling. Then it goes stolen in NYC but that's another story.

TL;DR
Buy if you are low on cash and want to try an ebike and dont mind spending $ upgrading it. Avoid if you need premium transport and want a perfect ebike.

garyhgaryh wrote:You can get a lithium phosphate battery and go about 20 miles!

I have two of these bike and they are heavy, but they work. I took my bike to work last year. Took me about an hour to get to work. I charge the battery once I get to work and when it's done charging (about 7-8 hrs), I go home.

It's made in China (what's not these days .

Amazon had these a few years ago for $200 once. Missed that deal.

maverickma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maverickma

So basically, it's a two wheeled rascal? A lazy person's bicycle?

gremlinorange

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gremlinorange
Secunza wrote:Electric bike, it might be the perfect way to keep you overweighted. In fact you can even use it to go to McDonalds.

Agreed, this bicycle will make you fat and lazy. Get a real bike, human power!

dmw804

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dmw804

I've had one of these bikes for just over a month now. I bought it through wayfair.com for $430. It arrived in perfect condition. I live in south Florida and take it for a ride almost every day. I absolutely love it. I'm able to get some exercise by pedaling just a little harder than the motor propulsion. When my legs tire, I just keep on going by power and then pedal again when my legs have had a few minutes rest. Though heavy, the weight is unnoticable while underway. I highly recommend it.

cole103

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cole103
radi0j0hn wrote:Slightly off topic, but since we have bike users here: What is a good bike (non-electric) for a retirement age 6'2" person who weighs around 240 pounds and lives on rural (unpaved) hilly roads??

I know, it's called a CAR, right? But seriously, what's a good choice? And are there eelctric assisted bikes for that person as well?

John, you need to look at a serious mountain bike, especially the 29 inch variety as they are extremely robust and have great tires for unpaved roads. I wouldn't worry about a full suspension, but disc brakes would be a serious advantage for you. You can also change the tires to make it more of a paved road bike if you want at some point or a combo tire. I found a good smooth-center, lugged edge tire when I was riding the hilly gravel roads here in NE Iowa. BTW I'm 61, 6' and 230lbs----I share your pain(and mass).

NJSteve

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NJSteve
ThunderThighs wrote:$424 from Walmart

Price rollback. Now $399 from Walmart.

heracaine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages heracaine

I have this bike and love it. I've actually been able to get out and exercise because of it. It has been awesome to ride to school and since I live surrounded by steep, hilly roads, the assist made it so much easier to get over the initial fear of not being able to make it. I've had mine for 3 months now and have gone from 218 to 185 without changing anything else. Its been a definite boost for what little self esteem I have left :P

On the con side, it is VERY heavy and I felt like I was learning to ride a bike all over again. With the weight distribution of the battery, your center of gravity feels a bit odd at best but you get over that fairly easily.

paperthinwalls

quality posts: 1 Private Messages paperthinwalls
tesla33 wrote:It isn't as simple as them being illegal here. I've never been bothered while riding sanely in NY, and NYC has a large E-bike dealer. They are also legal for federally funded trail systems.

Bottom line: it depends on whether or not the police where you want to ride it are Jerks or not. Think of riding one of these on the street in New York State as "Jay Riding."

Here's a New York Times article from 2009 on the e-bike ban and how little it is enforced http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/20/despite-ban-electric-bikes-gain-favor-on-city-streets/?scp=2&sq=electric%20bicycle&st=cse

The article also mentions an amendment that might be passed to allow e-bikes on streets that have a top speed of 20 mph and < 1000 watts. It looks like this bill keeps coming up and dying in the senate. Maybe someone else has more info for the New Yorkers?

Is this it? what am i supposed to do here?