WootBot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: How do you feel about the placebo effect?
  • 4.8% - I’m not familiar with it. 54
  • 68.7% - Whatever works, right? 769
  • 24.1% - I never take placebos, just Dr. Ostrom’s Uncanny Cure-All. 270
  • 2.4% - I have a strong opinion I’ll express to the betterment of the comments. 27
1120 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

koschild

quality posts: 0 Private Messages koschild

It just comes down to mind of matter... The placebo is just a tool to help those with a not so strong mind, a little crutch if you will to help trick themselves into recovery

ardubu

quality posts: 5 Private Messages ardubu

This worked so well on my kids! I used to give them a teaspoon of blueberry syrup as medicine.
Works!

If you want, you pay...
But, if you need, you pay more!

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl

It completely works. I've seen it in the hospital. For legal reasons I can't give specifics, but it works amazingly well. The mind doesn't need to be weak, the person just needs to believe they are getting something that will help them. Given a opiate induces pain relief. If a person receives something other accidentally, but believes they are getting the opiate, they will have the relaxation effect knowing pain relief is coming soon, producing some endogenous opioid like chemicals that function to relieve pain in much the same way.
Granted, it doesn't always work, but it happens often enough. Our body is very connected to our mind. That is why some people can go through biofeedback therapy to learn to manage their own painful conditions without resorting to medication.

beck12

quality posts: 41 Private Messages beck12

I think it is more effective on some than others & in certain situations. I also think Dr's overuse the idea at times thinking someone is having a placebo effect when in fact they may just be having a reduction in symptoms that is coincidence or in fact it worked...as in the case with homeopathy. Many Dr's will tell it' s a placebo, but I used that stuff with my babies & as far as I know babies aren't prone to placebo effects. And I didn't try that first, first I tried the stuff the Dr said would work - it did not. Then I tried stuff like Hyland's colic calm (MUCH better than gas drops) and teething tablets (far better for us that tylenol, motrin or orajel). So I think it depends. I certainly think that believing you are well or getting well helps - but I am not sure that is enough often. There are plenty of times I've taken something thinking it would work when it did not - like with my migraines.

spending my kid's college funds one woot off at a time

mdkopper

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mdkopper

Saves me money on the real stuff..

rockchalk1987

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rockchalk1987

Placebo effect? Bah!!

I rely on 100% genuine homeopathic remedies for my ailments!

RWoodward

quality posts: 58 Private Messages RWoodward
wingedsurfgirl wrote:It completely works. I've seen it in the hospital.

Not always. I was once enrolled in a double-blind study where I was completely convinced I was receiving the real medication. When it was over, I learned I had been on the placebo, and low and behold, my bloodwork and symptoms remained unchanged.