4%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

pacificsteel

quality posts: 1 Private Messages pacificsteel

Oh goodie another pack. I haven't worn out the last three I got.

earthcrawler

quality posts: 1 Private Messages earthcrawler

That outer do-hicky strap pouch thingy a baby holder?

avsdsu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages avsdsu

It's Monday, must be Kelty backpack day. Woot, you remind me of the movie groundhog day. C'mon guys...there has to be more to sport woot! than backpacks, sleeping bags and knives.

sachindhar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages sachindhar
avsdsu wrote:It's Monday, must be Kelty backpack day. Woot, you remind me of the movie groundhog day. C'mon guys...there has to be more to sport woot! than backpacks, sleeping bags and knives.

Real talk. Backpacks are getting old.

mybestuser1

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mybestuser1

If I buy this backpack I can keep it in the backpack that I keep all my other backpacks in.

Nothing is free but if you are lucky it can be inexpensive.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

They're kinda the Roomba/Dyson of Sport, huh?

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial
ThunderThighs wrote:They're kinda the Roomba/Dyson of Sport, huh?

Yeah, except after the first Dyson, I knew I was set. I'm at least three Keltys in and wondering if I could use this one too. Anyone happen to remember if I own it already? :p

Kudos to woot for getting some interior shots of the pack!

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

neuropsychosocial

Kelty makes great packs with fabulous lumbar support, high quality and durable fabric, with fantastic customer service. If you're interested in this pack, we've had extensive discussions recently about the Kelty Shrike 32 Daypack, Kelty Avocet 30 Backpack, and Kelty Courser 40 Backpack; in addition, there were comments about the Kelty Redwing 44 from the most recent woot-off, including helpful comments in that thread from people who purchase the Redwing two times ago, as well as a few days ago.

I received my Strike 32 last week; I haven't used it yet, but it looks fantastic - although larger than I was picturing. It has a great pocket with organization for pens/pencils/etc., including a pocket lined with soft fabric for a smartphone; very, very well designed. I'm not sure if this pack has a similar design, but it's also a front-loading pack, so it very well might.

neuropsychosocial

One more comment: as with all of woot's recent Kelty deals, this is a great price; this pack is available on amazon for $46.36 in Cypress (not offered today), $64.95 for Charcoal, Java, and Apricot (the three colors being offered today).

The women's version is the Redstart 23. As I'm a 7/8th-sized person, I think I'll hold out for the women's version since I suspect we'll see it on woot eventually, but this probably isn't a concern unless you're very small. Hey ThunderThights: send me one early (Rose?) and I'll have a picture review ready to go when it appears on sport.woot! (Just kidding, of course.)

dan7398

quality posts: 2 Private Messages dan7398

Would this make a decent everyday carry pack? Or is it too large for that?

wingedsurfgirl

quality posts: 25 Private Messages wingedsurfgirl
dan7398 wrote:Would this make a decent everyday carry pack? Or is it too large for that?

At 1600 in^3 it's about perfectly sized for that. For an adult that is. I wouldn't stuff this thing and send your six year old off to school.

Orcrist42

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Orcrist42

It's not a backpack... It's Hunger Games Cosplay gear. Woot should have these in a combo pack with a Bow and sell them to High School kids!

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

not sure if the 400 weight polyester is tough enough. Most backpacks of that size seem to be made of 800 denier nylon, which is inherently stronger than polyester.

jmbunkin

quality posts: 28 Private Messages jmbunkin

I wonder if there are people out there who buy/collect backpacks the way I buy flashlights? Them boys has hit the mother lode with sportwoot

mckinnonw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mckinnonw
dan7398 wrote:Would this make a decent everyday carry pack? Or is it too large for that?

I'm looking at it for the same purpose... Quick check of Kelty's site and the 26 stands for how many liters it can hold. 26 is on the low side. They only sell a handful that small or smaller. Most daypacks are 30+. So my guess is that this is a smaller pack. I'm going to pull the trigger anyway and we shall see. Price is good.

Overjump

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Overjump

Zappos has a nice video on the features of this bag.
http://www.zappos.com/kelty-redstart-26

copperlime

quality posts: 0 Private Messages copperlime
mckinnonw wrote:I'm looking at it for the same purpose... Quick check of Kelty's site and the 26 stands for how many liters it can hold. 26 is on the low side. They only sell a handful that small or smaller. Most daypacks are 30+. So my guess is that this is a smaller pack. I'm going to pull the trigger anyway and we shall see. Price is good.

I've been looking for an overnight pack and found this 'guide' to backpacks: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/lp2/backpack-guide/
According to this, the Kelty bag is best as a small day pack.

vladistov

quality posts: 51 Private Messages vladistov

Oooh! A 26-liter! Now if Woot! can just get me some of the fanny-packs, my Kelty matryoshka doll-set shall be complete!

grenade01

quality posts: 6 Private Messages grenade01

For what it's worth I used the Shrike I bought a couple weeks ago yesterday for about a 5 hour hike. Dropped a 3L hydration pack in it and stuffed it full of sandwiches and stuff. It was wayyyy more comfortable than my smaller Camelbak and it seems like it's better built too.

I realize it's a different pack, but hopefully this holds true to the redstart on sale today. I'm pretty sold on their awesomeness.

Ababbyhippo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ababbyhippo

Does anyone know what size torso this pack fits? Does a pack this small even have suggested torso size fits?

tike012

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tike012

Dammit Woot, I don't want to buy this pack but I feel like I have no choice.

Ababbyhippo

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Ababbyhippo

just looked it up myself it is one size fits all.

Ababbyhippo wrote:Does anyone know what size torso this pack fits? Does a pack this small even have suggested torso size fits?

kareelu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kareelu
earthcrawler wrote:That outer do-hicky strap pouch thingy a baby holder?

it holds your hydration pack

sgtgreeneusmc

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sgtgreeneusmc
ThunderThighs wrote:They're kinda the Roomba/Dyson of Sport, huh?

Yes, but they're like the handheld models; we need a full-size, big-a** version soon.

Unless, of course, you want to send me a Charcoal Avocet you still have laying around down there (I know you do, don't lie) so I'll have my Christmas backpack shopping done. I think I've about bought you out of Kelty backpacks but that's the last one I need for my nephew. Please include your TPS report w/ cover sheet.

sgtgreeneusmc

tike012 wrote:Dammit Woot, I don't want to buy this pack but I feel like I have no choice.

It is SUCH a good deal, trying to fight off the urge to buy a pack I don't need in hopes that the right one will pop up soon...must navigate away from page.

sgtgreeneusmc

jmbunkin wrote:I wonder if there are people out there who buy/collect backpacks the way I buy flashlights? Them boys has hit the mother lode with sportwoot

Don't mock or pity us....it is a calling.

sgtgreeneusmc

pacificsteel wrote:Oh goodie another pack. I haven't worn out the last three I got.

From what I've read, you won't be wearing out a Kelty, but if you do, its got a lifetime warranty.

sgtgreeneusmc

psaux

quality posts: 9 Private Messages psaux

Ok, I know I'm late to the party on this (I was sleeping in today), but there's a single, simple answer to all the posts below:

earthcrawler wrote:That outer do-hicky strap pouch thingy a baby holder?

mckinnonw wrote:I'm looking at it for the same purpose... Quick check of Kelty's site and the 26 stands for how many liters it can hold. 26 is on the low side. They only sell a handful that small or smaller. Most daypacks are 30+. So my guess is that this is a smaller pack. I'm going to pull the trigger anyway and we shall see. Price is good.

lwang wrote:not sure if the 400 weight polyester is tough enough. Most backpacks of that size seem to be made of 800 denier nylon, which is inherently stronger than polyester.

kareelu wrote:it holds your hydration pack

This is a backcountry ski pack. The "Shov-it" pocket (The thing mistaken as a babycarrier / hyrdration holder (it's neither).) is a shovel pocket. For those of you not familiar, you *ALWAYS* carry a collapsing shovel when doing backcountry skiing so you can dig your friends out of avalanches rather than standing around and watching them die. (Study upon study shows you can't get them out fast enough with improvised shovels, so everyone carries a shovel at a minimum, and should be carrying a probe and transponder.) Anyway, it's also small and made of lightweight fabric for the same reason. Skiing uphill (read about "skinning" if you don't understand this) is tough enough without something big and heavy on your back.

dordee

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dordee
psaux wrote:Ok, I know I'm late to the party on this (I was sleeping in today), but there's a single, simple answer to all the posts below:

This is a backcountry ski pack. The "Shov-it" pocket (The thing mistaken as a babycarrier / hyrdration holder (it's neither).) is a shovel pocket. For those of you not familiar, you *ALWAYS* carry a collapsing shovel when doing backcountry skiing so you can dig your friends out of avalanches rather than standing around and watching them die. (Study upon study shows you can't get them out fast enough with improvised shovels, so everyone carries a shovel at a minimum, and should be carrying a probe and transponder.) Anyway, it's also small and made of lightweight fabric for the same reason. Skiing uphill (read about "skinning" if you don't understand this) is tough enough without something big and heavy on your back.

Thanks for the great info. So, do you think that this fabric is heavy enough for day pack/everyday use?

first2summit

quality posts: 8 Private Messages first2summit
psaux wrote:Ok, I know I'm late to the party on this (I was sleeping in today), but there's a single, simple answer to all the posts below:

To add, the hydration compatible pocket is inside the backpack on the wall adjacent to where your back is. You slip the bladder in the pocket and run the hose through an opening in the bag. Make sure you get a bladder that fits the pocket.

Also, you probably won't use the shov-it pocket for a shovel but it makes a great place for your jacket and other things you want easy access to.

causeofentropy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages causeofentropy
first2summit wrote:To add, the hydration compatible pocket is inside the backpack on the wall adjacent to where your back is. You slip the bladder in the pocket and run the hose through an opening in the bag. Make sure you get a bladder that fits the pocket.

Also, you probably won't use the shov-it pocket for a shovel but it makes a great place for your jacket and other things you want easy access to.

Debating picking this up as a replacement for my battered Suzuki backpack. This should be able to haul my work laptop, tablet, notebooks and the occasional odds and ends without issue, right? Any info on the interior layout would be nice, like inside pockets that could be used for pens, pencils, small hand tools, etc.

Also, I don't suppose that shove-it pocket could handle a full-face helmet, could it?

mm20

quality posts: 35 Private Messages mm20
pacificsteel wrote:Oh goodie another pack. I haven't worn out the last three I got.

I own six different packs. Each has a very different, unique use. You only have three? No need to complain.

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

winnielou

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winnielou

Where can I get the water bladder that fits this pack? I'm in for 1! Thanks.

madoka

quality posts: 0 Private Messages madoka
jmbunkin wrote:I wonder if there are people out there who buy/collect backpacks the way I buy flashlights?

I've now got over 30 backpacks, so I'm good every day of the month!

seaeth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages seaeth

Mine came in...and does not have a sternum strap. Did this happen to anyone else?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 617 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

seaeth wrote:Mine came in...and does not have a sternum strap. Did this happen to anyone else?

If it's missing something, please email service@woot.com.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

1ltkls

quality posts: 2 Private Messages 1ltkls

Quick review. We just got back from spring ski trip. This pack was on my back every day. It holds essentials like an extra layer, snax, and water without unbalancing me or swinging around. Now back at work, I'm using it on a daily basis as a bike commute pack. Snug to the back for low wind resistance, doesn't shift around. Big enough (just barely) for my soft cooler packed lunch and a shell. I've also used it for an extra helmet when the morning ride was below 40F (wore ski helmet) and the afternoon ride was above 60F (wore bike helmet.) Helmet and lunch box won't both fit. As weather warms, I really appreciate the back pads. They are part of the reason it is so stable (side to side)on my back, but they also lift it up off my shirt just enough so that I don't get sweaty. PERFECT for these uses; too small for carrying a lot.

11/17/2006 RANDOM CRSorry, we're sold out of this item or don't have enough blah blah blah.
11/17/2006 RoboRaptor Platinum Robo Dino
11/17/2006 LeakFrog (3!)
10/17/2006 jWIN AM/FM Radio Headphones: 2-fer
10/13/2006 HP Premium Plus 4×6 Photo Paper
08/18/2006 SanDisk 256MB MP3/WMA, FM, Voice Rec.