5%
6%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

mm20

quality posts: 34 Private Messages mm20

Kelty makes a killer pack. They're lightweight, durable, and have everything you need but not too much. These are nearly $70 at Amazon, even more at REI. If you're in the market for a pack, this is a great one.

The 12 days of crap was just that- crap.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

It's Back to School week. Uhm, I guess if you have a really long hike to school, this could be useful.

I am NOT customer service.
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kguenther

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kguenther

Got this last time it was on woot and love it. We use it as a day bag (w/ 2 kids, have tons of stuff to carry around).
Favorite things about it: The big pouch unzips all the way down, so you don't get stuff lost at the bottom when you're cleaning it out. All the little organization pockets are in the front pouch (last backpack had them in the main pouch and small things would always pop out when bigger stuff was put in, really annoying). Waist belt is detachable.

Ishmel

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Ishmel

Just got back from a weekend canoe trip using this very pack. I also use it for a gym bag, and a daily commuter on my bike to my office.

This pack is a little too heavy for the hardcore ultralight backpacking crowd, and a little too small for the heavyweight camping set, but as a utility pack it's perfect, in my opinion. And for the price of a pack that is only half as good!

It looks like you can only get the medium size pack here, so if you have a long torso, or are very tall, it may not fit perfectly.

It does pass for carry-on size when I travel, although I don't stuff it completely full.

conanthelibrarian

quality posts: 3340 Private Messages conanthelibrarian

$75.45 on amazon and people really seem to like this bag!

http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Redwing-44-Internal-Frame/dp/B004CXENI6

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

got this the last time. it says there is 4" of torso adjustment, but the waist belt only moves around 1" or so. Where is the other 3 inches?

Plus, the waist belt adjusts, but the aluminum stay does not, thus if i move the belt up, the stay's arch contour will be off, requiring a complete rebend. Is that the way it is?

trmpt8604

quality posts: 1 Private Messages trmpt8604

I bought this last time it came on, and I like it a lot overall. I'm a shorter guy 5'4.5", and mainly got this for a hydration day-pack when I'm hiking with my girlfriend. Its plenty big enough for the day including: food, jacket, and 3 liter water bladder.

The main downside of the pack is that the straps seem to be pretty close together and rub the sides of my neck and dig into the shoulder/neck connecting muscles. This might be because I'm a shorter guy and therefore the straps need to be pretty small to keep the backpack situated on my back in the right place while carrying heavier loads. Also at my height, the waist-belt probably lays just a little lower than what it should be for a "perfect fit" according to places like REI.

When it comes to water bladders, I'd recommend one like a platypus (http://www.amazon.com/Platypus-Big-ZipTM-SL-3-0L/dp/B0015ZJLJK/ref=pd_sim_sg_1) due to the fact that this backpack is quite long and has a clip that really only will work for bags like this rather than ones that Camelbak produces.

All said and done though, for the price, its a great pack with tons of space, great strapping, seemingly great build quality, and the ability to hold a water bladder well. I've taken it hiking, on weekend trips, to a day at the state fair, and its handled itself superbly the entire time.

joded1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joded1

I GOT ONE OF THESE LAST TIME AROUND FOR MY LONG SAND DUNE DESERT TRIPS ON MY QUAD WITH THE FAMILY AT GLAMIS CA. I HAVENT TRYED IT YET , IM CONCERNED THE METAL BAR MIGHT STICK ME IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD , IF I FALL OFF THE BIKE.

joded

mm20

trmpt8604 wrote:The main downside of the pack is that the straps seem to be pretty close together and rub the sides of my neck and dig into the shoulder/neck connecting muscles. This might be because I'm a shorter guy and therefore the straps need to be pretty small to keep the backpack situated on my back in the right place while carrying heavier loads. Also at my height, the waist-belt probably lays just a little lower than what it should be for a "perfect fit" according to places like REI.

Did you pick up a pack off the shelf, or get one fitted to you? If you had one fitted, they did a terrible job; if you didn't, you'll notice a world of difference when one is chosen for you that actually fits. One size does not fit all.

It's funny how when Woot! calls their stuff crap, it's ok, but when *YOU* call it crap, *poof* you get banned. Hypocrites.

trmpt8604

lwang wrote:got this the last time. it says there is 4" of torso adjustment, but the waist belt only moves around 1" or so. Where is the other 3 inches?

Plus, the waist belt adjusts, but the aluminum stay does not, thus if i move the belt up, the stay's arch contour will be off, requiring a complete rebend. Is that the way it is?

I assumed the torso adjustment is part waistbelt, part the shoulder straps, and part the little straps connecting the top of the backpack to the top of the shoulder straps.

Yes to the second half. Ideally you should fit this pack once with weight in it and you should be good when you wear it. Sharing this with multiple people could be tough... If you didn't want to rebend, you can pull out the plastic sheet inside the pack and then the metal bar.

390gopac

quality posts: 1 Private Messages 390gopac

I got this last time it was on woot and it works great. I love that it has a panel opening so you aren't taking everything out of the pack to get to the bottom. The side and front organizational pockets are also nice, plus it breathes well on your back. Its a good size to use as a carry-on, but for more than a 3 day hike you'd have to be packing pretty light, i.e. someone else is going to be carrying the tent. One word of warning, if you're really skinny it may be hard to get the hip belt small enough. I'm a 5'7, 150lb male with a 30" waist and the hip belt barely adjusts small enough to be effective for me, so for women it may just be too big.

Referral linking not permitted.

Mr. Beer Kit
Micro Remote Control Helicopter
Miniature Express Train Set
USB Massage Ball - 2-Pack

trmpt8604

mm20 wrote:Did you pick up a pack off the shelf, or get one fitted to you? If you had one fitted, they did a terrible job; if you didn't, you'll notice a world of difference when one is chosen for you that actually fits. One size does not fit all.

trmpt8604 wrote:I bought this last time it came on

It was worth the risk to try it instead of paying the 40 more at a store for it. The time it dug in and got my sore was a heavy pack and no waistbelt so it was partially my fault. Just was putting it out there that either way, the straps are pretty close together for most people with larger muscles in the neck/shoulder area.

lwang

quality posts: 32 Private Messages lwang

If one has excess growth of muscles on their stomach, where do you wear the waist belt? Across the ahem..muscle belly or under it on the actual waist? If across the belly, the drop in waist size below the stomach is greater than the addition width created by the hip bone, thus the waist belt will likely drop down, unless it was pulled extremely tight making me look like those meat tied up with strings for cooking.

hobowithin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hobowithin

Are there any color options for this backpack or are we stuck with the color shown in the pic of the pack.

mm20

trmpt8604 wrote:It was worth the risk to try it instead of paying the 40 more at a store for it. The time it dug in and got my sore was a heavy pack and no waistbelt so it was partially my fault. Just was putting it out there that either way, the straps are pretty close together for most people with larger muscles in the neck/shoulder area.

Reading fail for me. Carry on.

mrwizzy2002

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrwizzy2002

Does anyone know if it will fit my laptop? I don't know if anyone has tried for these laptops but it's a bit hard to find a backpack that'll fit the G74sx Asus Laptop.

Thanks for all your help ahead of time.
Long Live Woot!

whatsamattaU

quality posts: 1069 Private Messages whatsamattaU

Have bought, not tried it yet. Same price $49.99:
http://sport.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5070422&pageindex=1&replycount=62

and my comment then:

whatsamattaU wrote:real quick:
reviews and a video I can't embed:
http://www.backcountryedge.com/kelty-redwing-44-2650.aspx

Product webpage with reviews:
http://www.kelty.com/p-414-redwing-44.aspx

$49.99 to record price

Bye

vulcansdad

quality posts: 4 Private Messages vulcansdad

In for one.
I've used the 3100cu version of this for weekends on the Appalachian Trail. Bombproof and ideal for rugged outdoor use.
Bought this one for my wife, hoping she'll join me on the next overnighter in September.
I believe this size will work well.

neuropsychosocial

quality posts: 171 Private Messages neuropsychosocial

I have two Kelty internal frame backpacks, one larger than this and one smaller, and I absolutely adore them. I spent close to a year shopping for the right internal frame bag and Kelty's lumbar support system was far more comfortable than any other brand that I tried on. My bags have been durable - clean off easily and I've had NO trouble with tears/rips/defects (and I push my packs, trust me!) - and the compression system is amazing. I couldn't rave enough about the waist belt, compression straps, ease of adjustability, or quality of Kelty packs.

ThunderThighs wrote:It's Back to School week. Uhm, I guess if you have a really long hike to school, this could be useful.

Hey now! I actually think this would be an ideal backpack for school: most high school and even college students regularly carry 10-30% of their body weight in backpacks; this causes shoulder/back pain. The hip belt transfers much of the weight of the pack to the hips from the shoulders, which is much healthier. I'm currently looking for a new internal frame, front-loading, hip-belt-having backpack to use around campus because I need the compression and hip belt in order to carry more than 3-4 pounds. (Unfortunately, I think I'd need the Kelty Women's Redwing; I'm short and have an especially short torso, so I think this is too big for me, but I highly recommend Kelty in general - and I think this bag would make a great school backpack!)

RIP A.A. Blanks (Obituary)

ThunderThighs

Staff

hobowithin wrote:Are there any color options for this backpack or are we stuck with the color shown in the pic of the pack.

Sorry, no color options. What you see is what you get.

••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
mrwizzy2002 wrote:Does anyone know if it will fit my laptop? I don't know if anyone has tried for these laptops but it's a bit hard to find a backpack that'll fit the G74sx Asus Laptop.

Long Live Woot!

This is what I wrote last time around.

TLTC: It fits a 17" Macbook and multiple days of clothing with no problem. So, most likely.

rebeltreble

quality posts: 17 Private Messages rebeltreble

Too bad on this. My husband and I are looking for day packs that can also double as bicycle commuter packs. He is 6' 4" though and I am 5' 2". Based on the comments this won't fit either of us very well.

Signatures are harshing my mellow.

timthetortoise

quality posts: 4 Private Messages timthetortoise

I love my Kelty Redwing, used it for a good 6 months until I got a toploader for climbing. Tons of room, and a very durable pack.

Thinkerer

quality posts: 9 Private Messages Thinkerer

The Kelty Redwings have earned a place in many hiker's hearts for a reason - they seem to live up to the "bulletproof" label. My 3100 ci one is 12 years old, has been to three continents and on untold trips and is going strong. I've done everything from moderate mountains to carrying ice/beer/beach chairs with it and not only does it not die, it doesn't even seem to suffer.

colbytitus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colbytitus

It won't process my order. I keep getting a server error.

ThunderThighs

Staff

colbytitus wrote:It won't process my order. I keep getting a server error.

Sorry for the problems. I'm reporting it now. You're the 2nd one to post.

EDIT: Anything different about this order than others? Address? Coupon? Payment method? Just to help us narrow it down since it's seems to be very random right now.

EDIT 2: They found the problem (it was sporadic) and they are fixing it. Should be just a bit.

colbytitus

quality posts: 5 Private Messages colbytitus
ThunderThighs wrote:Sorry for the problems. I'm reporting it now. You're the 2nd one to post.

EDIT: Anything different about this order than others? Address? Coupon? Payment method? Just to help us narrow it down since it's seems to be very random right now.

EDIT 2: They found the problem (it was sporadic) and they are fixing it. Should be just a bit.

I did enter a coupon code

ThunderThighs

Staff

colbytitus wrote:I did enter a coupon code

It should be working now. Holler if it isn't.

Slizoth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Slizoth
whatsamattaU wrote:Have bought, not tried it yet. Same price $49.99:
http://sport.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5070422&pageindex=1&replycount=62

and my comment then:

Bye

Very informative, sold me on purchasing the bag, thanks!

michaeljonhansen

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michaeljonhansen

Anyone have advice if this will fit a slim 5'10" frame?

jlcharles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlcharles

Can anyone tell me where this pack is made?

digitalurbancamo

quality posts: 18 Private Messages digitalurbancamo

I really love the Kelty 44. One of the best dayhiking packs I have ever owned. If you guys and girls have any questions about it let me know. Iv been using the Redwing 44 and 50 for a LONG time now.

jlcharles wrote:Can anyone tell me where this pack is made?

These are made in Vietnam.

michaeljonhansen wrote:Anyone have advice if this will fit a slim 5'10" frame?

I am a mid build 5'11 and it fits like a glove. You should have no issues with fit. Especially with the chest straps being adjustable left to right and up and down using the rail system on the straps. Also with the abdomen strap being adjustable as well as you can see in the picture above.

mrwizzy2002 wrote:Does anyone know if it will fit my laptop? I don't know if anyone has tried for these laptops but it's a bit hard to find a backpack that'll fit the G74sx Asus Laptop.

Long Live Woot!

I guess you could use the spot inside the main compartment that is meant for a hydration balder. It is kinda designed the same way. I have never tried it because I only ever used my Redwings for hiking but I don't see why you couldn't use it as a school bag. The internal frame and compression straps would help displace the wight of the contents for a college student that's for sure.

rebeltreble wrote:Too bad on this. My husband and I are looking for day packs that can also double as bicycle commuter packs. He is 6' 4" though and I am 5' 2". Based on the comments this won't fit either of us very well.

I beg to differ. My girl is 5'2" and she has a new model black version on this bag and she LOVES it. Also my friend owns one as well (bought on my recommendation) and hes 6'2" and he has bought 2 more after he used it.

diamond424

quality posts: 1 Private Messages diamond424

Got one last time it was sold, great pack,great price! Buy it.

runnerfrog13

quality posts: 10 Private Messages runnerfrog13
390gopac wrote:One word of warning, if you're really skinny it may be hard to get the hip belt small enough. I'm a 5'7, 150lb male with a 30" waist and the hip belt barely adjusts small enough to be effective for me, so for women it may just be too big.

You'd need to be a really skinny or petite woman for that to be the case...

Hip straps on a woman (at least, on me) are most comfortable resting on the HIPS rather than the narrower waist, and you'd be hard pressed to find a woman with mere 30" hips*. I'm a 5'6" 110 lb lightweight and even my waist is 29. I like my hip strap about 33" for a snug fit.

TL;DR - if you're a woman, don't discount this unless your hips are 30" since you'll likely be most comfortable with the belt resting on your hip bones.

(*edit: No offense meant if you are a woman with 30" hips of course)

sabman83

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sabman83

Any idea when these get shipped out and how soon they would arrive? I am looking for a backpack before the Labor day weekend.

sonofjohnwayne

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sonofjohnwayne

I'm slim and 5' 8", and this pack fits like a dream. Too bad I paid full price about 1 month ago.

disfunctlguru

quality posts: 0 Private Messages disfunctlguru

I'm 5'10" 150lbs, this pack fits really well. Have had it for over a month, already taken 4 weekend airport trips with it and love it! I just wish they had some other colors.

scapsinger

quality posts: 22 Private Messages scapsinger

I'm in for 1 pack. Funny, I was actually shopping for a pack to use on an upcoming trip to Cuba. I need to pack it full of video gear and that video showing it full of video gear pretty well sold me on it.

jlcharles

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jlcharles

Ended up pulling the trigger last night. Can't wait to try it out on our trip to Shenandoah next month.