Xexus

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Xexus

Everyone understands that forums often will use word filters to replace profanity with more "family orientated" substitutions. Woot currently changes the "F" word to "hike", and the "C" word to "green leaves", and so on. It's an amusing way to handle words like that, and a solution that doesn't offend my sense of free speech. It is their forum after all, and the TOS says clearly "we reserve the right to modify or remove any Content at any time", which includes the posts that we users make.

However, recently I find that Woot has been substituting other words that are by no means objectionable. Until recently, the word "first" was being edited. That makes conversation about the "first" time I saw a movie a bit annoying. The word "lame" is currently being substituted with the word "siesta". Nothing one would call devastating, but this practice could lead to changing the meaning of your posts.

For example, suppose Woot decides to remove the word "not" from future posts. Someone posting the phrase, "I do not endorse NAMBLA" could find themselves on the receiving end of a lot of hate mail with out the "not" in there.

Honestly, I don't think Woot would go that far. But what might seem to Woot as a funny substitution could lead to unwanted repercussions. The Woot TOS may protect them from liability or accusations of libelous behavior (I think), but I think the way they are using their word filters could be cause for concern for the community.

So, I'd advise users to preview all comments before posting, to avoid any miscommunication that might results of Woot's word games.

(you might ask what started this rant of mine? The word filters messed up one of our word games in the EBW forums! Bastages! )

Signature censored by Woot

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman

Woot began filtering as a means to control offensive language and hurtful comments. It rapidly devolved into a game that "staff" used to toy with us. It is time for more sensible and less childish filtering.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

AZGman wrote:Woot began filtering as a means to control offensive language and hurtful comments. It rapidly devolved into a game that "staff" used to toy with us. It is time for more sensible and less childish filtering.

childishness has no place here.

Xexus wrote:
So, I'd advise users to preview all comments before posting, to avoid any miscommunication that might results of Woot's word games.

i'm glad you mentioned this, xexus. it's good advice.

previewing also gives you an extra second to make sure the stuff you're writing is really what you want to be putting out there.

it is a supplemental buffer when your finger/brain barrier fails.

as for the filters? i think they're ribs.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

AZGman

quality posts: 3 Private Messages AZGman
PemberDucky wrote:childishness has no place here.

Of course not.

Grumpy 'til the day I die.